Victoria CPL

Pro for RAP:  I could walk there and stumble home.  :)

Kidding aside, boominbooty typed what I was going to say faster than I could.

To add:  barriers for RAP would be the current configuration of the facility and a current baseball tenant that would make sharing difficult.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I just posted on FB:

My preferences would be;
1. Royal Athletic Park (preferably updated/expanded)
2. New Westhills Stadium as shown in renderings
3. Centennial Stadium
4. Current Westhills Stadium

If they build anything like what they have shown in the renderings we will be in the best soccer stadium in Canada.

1 minute ago, shorty said:

Pro for RAP:  I could walk there and stumble home.  :)

Me too, and I have.

The biggest pro for RAP for me is the location within easy walking distance of the downtown "bar scene". There are pubs near the stadium and all the things to do downtown.

Westhills is fairly isolated, like UVic's Centennial Stadium. 

I would love it if RAP became a true football park.  I was actually dreaming last night that both Gorge FC and Bays United had Canpl clubs as well and had small UK type neighbourhood stadiums at Hampton Road and Windsor Park and that local pro derbies were a thing.

One can dream....

6 minutes ago, shorty said:

I would love it if RAP became a true football park.  I was actually dreaming last night that both Gorge FC and Bays United had Canpl clubs as well and had small UK type neighbourhood stadiums at Hampton Road and Windsor Park and that local pro derbies were a thing.

One can dream....

I like that dream!

This is a nice surprise and if they make the first season, certainly will help with travel for the teams heading out west (rather than a "one and done" before a flight home.

Also good for regional rivalries - Victoria vs. Surrey, Calgary vs. Edmonton, Hamilton vs York......

I'm not from Victoria but isntnthere a lot of talk in Victoria about a commuter train that would run from downtown right next to the stadium location? Just a thought about location

Also correct me if I'm wrong, like most people in Vancouver I know a handful of people who recently moved to Victoria and ive been told that area is where there is a lot of growth is happening. It's often referred to as the Surrey of Victoria

I'm kind of surprised at the timing of this coming out.  Wonder if the reporter got word ahead of things.  Can't see the CPL wanting this to get out the day of Calgary launch overshadowing it a bit for us obsessed types lol.

3 hours ago, ted said:

Having been on a few boards, there is ZERO chance that the CSA does not have some sort of mechanism to approve, if only provisionally, between AGMs... 

Any league or association constitution I have ever read provides scope for holding an EGM. Suspect this might still turn out to be the Port City group given things are not supposed to be going well where a stadium is concerned in the Fraser Valley. We'll find out soon enough.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Any league or association constitution I have ever read provides scope for holding an EGM. Suspect this might still turn out to be the Port City group given things are not supposed to be going well where a stadium is concerned in the Fraser Valley. We'll find out soon enough.

Based on what? The rumour about the stadium in Surrey a month ago? Given the author of the article spoke with a member of the potential Victoria ownership group and subsequently referred to the PCFC group as a separate endeavour and failed to mention any of the confirmed facts pertaining to the PCFC group that are out there including Josh Simpson’s former teammate also being involved I think you’re stretching even by your own standards. 

It getting difficult to keep track of your freezing cold takes.

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Based on what? The rumour about the stadium in Surrey a month ago? Given the author of the article spoke with a member of the potential Victoria ownership group and subsequently referred to the PCFC group as a separate endeavour and failed to mention any of the confirmed facts pertaining to the PCFC group that are out there including Josh Simpson’s former teammate also being involved I think you’re stretching even by your own standards. 

It getting difficult to keep track of your freezing cold takes.

Based on his grasping for anything and everything  to prove his narrative that the league will not happen next year despite the growing mounds of evidence to the contrary.

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Based on the part immediately after what you bolded and the use of might implies that it's only a possibility and I'm completely open to the idea that the opposite is the case. The level of hysteria on here sometimes is ridiculous.

What about what I wrote is hysterical? The fact that I can read an article and properly interpret what the author was trying to impart?

The level of your delusion is sometimes ridiculous.

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Am I way off? This seems pretty major to me. This is another group that we had no leaks about until now and considering the article states that the team is "set to be announced" and that PB has said that teams would be announced in late May/early June they seem to have kept this under wraps.

There was a hole in the team announcements schedule for May 31, is that this club or Hamilton?!

This is not entirely accurate that there were no leaks. We had seen article/s about potential expansion of that stadium and its suitability for a potential pro team.

That article was largely ignored however, because I think most people thought it would be unlikely.

8 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What about what I wrote is hysterical? The fact that I can read an article and properly interpret what the author was trying to impart?

The level of your delusion is sometimes ridiculous.

You had the nerve to question his opinion so you're exhibiting levels of hysteria in his opinion. 

Being dead serious I think he sees himself a martyr, trying to save us from the pain he's witness from the failed leagues of the past.  Willing to take our abuse to try and "save" us from ourselves, occasionally lashing out when his theory appears close to wrong and people here pile on.  Just my opinion

3 minutes ago, masster said:

This is not entirely accurate that there were no leaks. We had seen article/s about potential expansion of that stadium and its suitability for a potential pro team.

That article was largely ignored however, because I think most people thought it would be unlikely.

That wasn’t a “leak” though, that was a city official talking about possibilities. I meant that we haven’t seen leaks like in other cities, no trademarks revealed, no podcastors or journalist talking about details, no ownership groups being mentioned.

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I agree with BBTB. This was the sense I was getting after the AGM when the CSA was cryptic in tweeting about the BC group.

11 minutes ago, masster said:

...That article was largely ignored however, because I think most people thought it would be unlikely.

A few people picked up on it on here at the time. The way it was worded it sounded like they were trying to attract an investor for a CanPL team to help justify something they would also be doing for rugby and high school football. Looks like it worked in a big way. A viable stadium has been the major stumbling block elsewhere in markets like K/W, Regina and Saskatoon, so it probably shouldn't have been surprising that a municipality in a metro area of 350k+ offering to take care of that angle in financial terms would attract interest when sums of up to $20 million have been mentioned on stadium builds elsewhere.

Archived