Victoria CPL

14 hours ago, Xavier said:

2 things.

Port City FC is just a placeholder name.

Victoria also does not have a real “port”.

Fort City would make more sense for Victoria.

That's three things. The first is obvious. The second is bullshit. The third is puerile. 

Seriously, if you are going to BS on the board, do it with a minimum of poise.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's three things. The first is obvious. The second is bullshit. The third is puerile. 

Seriously, if you are going to BS on the board, do it with a minimum of poise.

And where is said port?

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For a guy posting authoritatively about Port City, you really do not know anything any amateur like myself would know about Victoria, do you Xavier? I mean, thanks and all, but you did not even answer a single question straight up.

Why don't you reserve the expertise for what you won't risk telling us about the Mainland option?

My god you are in some kind of mood.

Pretty sure I answered every question.

Sorry for answering your questions and trying to clear things up for you.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:34 PM, Xavier said:

- Rob Friend (former CMNT and LA Galaxy striker) seems to be part of the CPL BC ownership team. He’s the one who has been showing up to all CPL meetings. I’m sure there are others behind the scene.

Friend is involved with the FV team, not the potential Victoria one.

42 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Got anything to back that up?

Common sense

But to expand

1) there has never been anything to suggest it is. In fact the league has indicated that if teams can meet the requirements, the intention is to scale up as quickly as possible

2) advanced talks with at least 12 communities. Contacted by 20 communities. Reverse engineer it. There are only so many communitis that fit the profile 

3) 2 different ownership groups. Port City is Rob Friend and some money guys who already have an office in Van and have been actively working with municipalities in the FV and contacted socver people in the Valley. Victoria has a new ownership group who if you don' understand the economy in BC you may not realize have pretty deep pockets. They'v indicating they 're monitoring the CPL are pushing for a stadium in Langford and Highlanders supporter group has said they've been contacted by CPL marketing 

4) if you were to start at Westhills stadium by car to get to 216 and Hwy 1 in Langley, considering with a car a sain person arrives at the ferry at least 45 minutes before sailing. Your looking at a trip of close to 5hrs. Just googled Hamiltion to Ottawa, 4hr 45 minutes. So it's quicker, easier & cheaper to get from Hamilton to Ottawa (bc most expensive gas in Canada, ferry with car about $125) but nobody suggests Ottawa and Hamilton is either or so give me 1 tangible reason FV (Port City) Victoria is either or

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Common sense

But to expand

1) there has never been anything to suggest it is. In fact the league has indicated that if teams can meet the requirements, the intention is to scale up as quickly as possible

2) advanced talks with at least 12 communities. Contacted by 20 communities. Reverse engineer it. There are only so many communitis that fit the profile 

3) 2 different ownership groups. Port City is Rob Friend and some money guys who already have an office in Van and have been actively working with municipalities in the FV and contacted socver people in the Valley. Victoria has a new ownership group who if you don' understand the economy in BC you may not realize have pretty deep pockets. They'v indicating they 're monitoring the CPL are pushing for a stadium in Langford and Highlanders supporter group has said they've been contacted by CPL marketing 

4) if you were to start at Westhills stadium by car to get to 216 and Hwy 1 in Langley, considering with a car a sain person arrives at the ferry at least 45 minutes before sailing. Your looking at a trip of close to 5hrs. Just googled Hamiltion to Ottawa, 4hr 45 minutes. So it's quicker, easier & cheaper to get from Hamilton to Ottawa (bc most expensive gas in Canada, ferry with car about $125) but nobody suggests Ottawa and Hamilton is either or so give me 1 tangible reason FV (Port City) Victoria is either or

These are all valid points. 

Rob Friend has been to every CPL meeting since the league officially got announced. If it didn’t work out in the FV (I understand that that’s an if), the only other option in BC would be Victoria. Victoria is also a very attractive option considering that it’s a soccer city in every sense of the word. Every kid plays soccer there. Adam Straith, Simon Thomas, and Sean Melvin are all pros that come from there. Nearly 400k people in Greater Victoria is also the ideal size for a CPL team. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, you brought up great points. But I think it is more likely than you think that Friend and his team will look at Victoria. 

We will see in the upcoming weeks.

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

....They'v indicating they 're monitoring the CPL are pushing for a stadium in Langford and Highlanders supporter group has said they've been contacted by CPL marketing ....

It would be pretty disappointing if the CPL team ended up based in Langford.  That is a ways out of town for most.  It's got to be reasonably central or it's an even steeper uphill battle for viability.

54 minutes ago, clb2c4e said:

It would be pretty disappointing if the CPL team ended up based in Langford.  That is a ways out of town for most.  It's got to be reasonably central or it's an even steeper uphill battle for viability.

What do you suggest happens then? RAP would be the best option due to location, parking space, etc, but conflict with the Harbourcats would be tough. It’s had 10k+ seats before for the Fifa U21 WC, but to implement permanent seating for that kind of crowd would mean turning it into a permanent SSS.

I can’t think of any other stadium let alone properties in Victoria that could host a CPL team.

It sucks for me in Oak Bay to travel to Langford every game but I will do it if it means we get a local CPL team.

29 minutes ago, Xavier said:

What do you suggest happens then? RAP would be the best option due to location, parking space, etc, but conflict with the Harbourcats would be tough. It’s had 10k+ seats before for the Fifa U21 WC, but to implement permanent seating for that kind of crowd would mean turning it into a permanent SSS.

I can’t think of any other stadium let alone properties in Victoria that could host a CPL team.

It sucks for me in Oak Bay to travel to Langford every game but I will do it if it means we get a local CPL team.

I would suggest RAP, it's definitely not idea to share a stadium but the location is far better. 

I think location is more important than the stadium itself.  I cannot think of any properties off the top of my head but I am sure there are more than a few that could be viable perhaps something along one of the highways near-ish uptown...

Right now I am living in Belgium and the stadium is about a 10 minute walk from the center of the town.  Obviously the sprawl doesn't allow for that in Victoria, but the ability to have multiple options (car, bike, walk, public transport) to get there is important.  Lanford offers only car for the vast majority.  Perhaps if they had some sort of shuttle bus arrangement that would alleviate it but it definitely adds another hurdle for people to attend.

18 hours ago, Xavier said:

I’m pretty sure the stadium deal in Surrey fell through. Victoria would be the next best city in BC. 

Now you are totally making things up. Three days ago you were taunting us with your secret knowledge of the Port City franchise, without saying shit, and now you are proving you really do not know what is going on at all. Can we move on?

17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Of course, and besides: you do not give up on a Greater Vancouver bid, where you have half a dozen municipalities you could place a team in and get metro fan support, with Victoria, which is very niche and could work, but with less than 20% of the potential fan base.

And you are exactly correct: a Victoria team draws virtually no fans from the Lower Mainlaind. I say virtually, as we all know that the reverse could work, the BC Lions drew (still draw?) fans from Nanaimo and the rest of the island, for example. But there is an important difference: someone on the Island can make a day of it in Vancouver, doing shopping or culture or whatever. The reverse is not as likely, the reasons to go to Van Is are different and soccer hardly ever be one. A Victoria team would be drawing from Vancouver Island and likely 90% Greater Victoria fan base.

I may be an exception but I saw Victoria PDL at Royal Athletic, but two of my best friends live in Fernwood, literally walking distance.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Now you are totally making things up. Three days ago you were taunting us with your secret knowledge of the Port City franchise, without saying shit, and now you are proving you really do not know what is going on at all. Can we move on?

I obviously am unable to share any of the information I do have on the Port City franchise.

I don’t understand what you have against me personally but you’ve been accusing me of not answering your questions when I have, and honestly have been picking on me ever since.

I’d love to hear your version of how I’ve been proving that I “really do not know what is going on at all”?

Especially when I have been personally working with the “Port City FC” ownership group for just under a year now.

To be fair to Xavier he did tell us that green couldn't be used for FV:

On 7/23/2017 at 11:30 PM, Xavier said:

Been informed green is not an option for the Fraser Valley team. Two other western CPL teams are most likely using green.

On 4/24/2018 at 5:39 AM, Xavier said:

They won't be green for two reasons.

1. This is the logo that the CPL trademarked. This is most likely going to be their colour scheme.

2. I've done design work for one of the potential CPL team, and using green was not a possibility as two teams will already be green.

Green is a severely underrated kit colour though.

which many of us took as a hint that Calgary Foothills were going to be involved.

47 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I obviously am unable to share any of the information I do have on the Port City franchise.

I don’t understand what you have against me personally but you’ve been accusing me of not answering your questions when I have, and honestly have been picking on me ever since.

I’d love to hear your version of how I’ve been proving that I “really do not know what is going on at all”?

Especially when I have been personally working with the “Port City FC” ownership group for just under a year now.

Wow, then maybe you should go back to the discretion your work probably requires instead of coming on here to win brownie points, leaving lost leaders and elliptical comments with no content. Then making up silly stuff about Victoria not having a port.

The only thing you have insinuated that could be interesting is that a Surrey stadium has been ruled out.

The point is: if you have something to say, then say it. If you can't because your work requires you to be silent, then do your job. And if you can't stand our ridiculous speculation and we are all off base, then just stay off the board until the official Port City announcement, and then illuminate our questions. If you indeed have the authority as spokesperson be answering them. 

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

To be fair to Xavier he did tell us that green couldn't be used for FV:

which many of us took as a hint that Calgary Foothills were going to be involved.

Fair enough: I am not saying he is not involved. I am just irked that he has posted in a taunting manner, and then said total stupidities about Victoria which suggest he is a bit lost. 

Mind you, if his job is graphic design, then you would not expect him to know that much about the fooball criteria (:P saying this as a teacher of design theory and criticism btw)

On 5/12/2018 at 4:59 AM, Xavier said:

Victoria also does not have a real “port”.

Fort City would make more sense for Victoria.

Victoria is a port city. 

port1
pôrt/
noun
  1. a town or city with a harbor where ships load or unload, especially one where customs officers are stationed.

"Fort City" is absurd. A descriptor before "City" implies many or several of the things or being know for something ie. "Garden City", "Windy City". We no longer have a fort as the fort was dismantled and "Fort Victoria" became the City of Victoria.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:42 AM, shamrock said:

BTW I hate the name BCFC and I would think if that was it, they'd used it instead of Port City. It's so generic, like California United. 

So much this! 

As I have said many times, soccer is an urban phenomenon based in communities. I will NEVER buy tickets or merchandise or attend games from something so poorly named as to be this offensive to soccer sensibilities AND the rest of the Province.

1 hour ago, ted said:

I will NEVER buy tickets or merchandise or attend games from something so poorly named as to be this offensive to soccer sensibilities AND the rest of the Province.

I've been waiting 26 years since the last national league folded. I spend a huge amount of my time reading other fans' thoughts about Canadian soccer because I am so starved of actual media and games themselves. I cannot wait for there to be pro soccer across the country again!!!

Ah screw it, I don't like the name of my local team.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, Kent said:

Ah screw it, I don't like the name of my local team.

Yeah, that's it. I just, "don't like the name".  

Nothing to do with bad decision making or disrespecting soccer fans both locally and throughout the rest of the province. Certainly nothing to do with shitting on the people who have kept semi-pro soccer alive for decades in this city. Couldn't possibly be a protest against the idea that a "franchise" can be created out of nothing with no connection to a community with deep soccer roots.

But sure, it's just because it's not to my taste.

I look forward to you supporting Ontario FC when they start play in Ottawa instead of  Fury. ;)

It' all part of being from BC. Explaining to people from the rest of the country that what they think or do or like is not what people here think like or do. It why we bond with our Cascadian brothers and sister. Apparently they have the same experiene. I say this with peace and love

I wouldn' underestimate the importance of a name and how people may or may not connect to it but either way soccer fans will excited about the CPL

That's true of the entire country, my friend. BC is not unique in this. Each province are very isolationist really. Do you think Nova Scotia bonds with Saskatchewan? No.

I can assure you, most Maritimers don't look to Ontario or Manitoba as our brothers, but as cousins instead. Hell, even Cape Breton has a hard time living next door to Nova Scotia, and they're in it!

Archived