Saskatchewan group unveiled

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Alex D said:

You forgot to say boom!

BOOM! Sources confirm Former President of the Saskatchewan Rush Lacrosse Club Lee Genier and a group of other investors have been identified as the group wanting to bring CPL soccer to Regina.They are one of the 10 cities being assessed by the CPL.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/genier

11 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The Roughriders are community owned so not too likely. There are likely lots of other investors interested in a pro sports franchise though.

So is Winnipeg though, so community owned isn't off the table at all

Personally hoping that they are the "local component" to the ownership, I think it would help drive interest. That said, since they are talking about building a stadium I'm doubtful 

The article states a couple times that there's only one employee, Paul Beirne, but if you to canpl.ca and click on "Corporate Partnership" a gentleman named Dave Keeley is listed as contact. By his own Linkedin page he is a former Whitecaps employee who is currently employed by the CPL. So I guess there's now 2!

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

So is Winnipeg though, so community owned isn't off the table at all

Personally hoping that they are the "local component" to the ownership, I think it would help drive interest. That said, since they are talking about building a stadium I'm doubtful 

From the article;

"Genier said there’s a local component to the prospective ownership group, but he wouldn’t go into further details on who he’s working with."

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

From the article;

"Genier said there’s a local component to the prospective ownership group, but he wouldn’t go into further details on who he’s working with."

Yup, that's the part I was referring to. "Local" could still refer to the Roughriders, though it seems less likely as they are talking about building a stadium. 

I doubt it's the same group as the Rush as they say he's a former employee of them

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Yup, that's the part I was referring to. "Local" could still refer to the Roughriders, though it seems less likely as they are talking about building a stadium. 

I doubt it's the same group as the Rush as they say he's a former employee of them

Oh sorry. I misunderstood your post.

44 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

Former President of the Saskatchewan Rush Lacrosse Club Lee Genier and a group of other investors have been identified as the group wanting to bring CPL soccer to Regina.They are one of the 10 cities being assessed by the CPL.

It's worth noting that the article states that the location could be either Saskatoon or Regina, they apparently haven't decided on that aspect yet.

The article also says they plan to follow the Halifax model and set up a 7,000-8,000 seat pop-up stadium and will NOT be using Mosaic Stadium.

2 minutes ago, Zem said:

It's worth noting that the article states that the location could be either Saskatoon or Regina, they apparently haven't decided on that aspect yet.

The article also says they plan to follow the Halifax model and set up a 7,000-8,000 seat pop-up stadium and will NOT be using Mosaic Stadium.

My gut is telling me that it could be Regina because of the stadium. That explains why the city is planning that soccer friendly between the Cosmos vs. Valencia in July.

8 hours ago, johnluckpickherd said:

What are the soccer participation numbers in Regina v Saskatoon? I think I read somewhere that Saskatoon had far higher numbers.

Saskatoon does have higher numbers but not much by percentage of population. I can't recall the exact count, but Regina has over 10,000 (the number if actually around 12,000, but I don't have precise totals) registered soccer players with a CMA of around 260,000.

The adult league numbers in Regina have nearly quadrupled in the last ten years.

1 hour ago, Pat Carrasco said:

BOOM: Former President of the Saskatchewan Rush Lacrosse Club Lee Genier and a group of other investors from the Wheat Province have been identified as the group wanting to bring CPL soccer to Regina.They are one of the 10 cities being assessed by the CPL.

Now having already stated my skepticism of Soccer working in Regina in the mega thread...the part about building a new stadium for the team changes things for me.

The way to give it the best chance to work is to make the game and stadium a destination where people want to go.  An 8,000 seat stadium would fit nicely in the old rail yards on Dewdney as part of the City's Revitalization plan.  Right next door to restaurants, bars, hotels...mix it in with new retail space, Condominiums, theatre/arts centre and parks with a new Pedway to connect it to Downtown!!

Much better location than Mosaic and a much better game day experience!!

8 hours ago, Symp_Res said:

Now having already stated my skepticism of Soccer working in Regina in the mega thread...the part about building a new stadium for the team changes things for me.

The way to give it the best chance to work is to make the game and stadium a destination where people want to go.  An 8,000 seat stadium would fit nicely in the old rail yards on Dewdney as part of the City's Revitalization plan.  Right next door to restaurants, bars, hotels...mix it in with new retail space, Condominiums, theatre/arts centre and parks with a new Pedway to connect it to Downtown!!

Much better location than Mosaic and a much better game day experience!!

Bingo. It is the perfect fit. I just hope officials with the City of Regina would have the wisdom and foresight to see that this would be about so much more than soccer. A stadium there, right between downtown and the warehouse district would be ideal. 

Gotta say, even though we have a confirmed team in Winnipeg vs a hopeful team in Saskatchewan, I'm a bit jealous.  I'm afraid that games at Investors Group Field will feel cavernous.  A smaller stadium is my dream. 

8 hours ago, MrsC said:

Gotta say, even though we have a confirmed team in Winnipeg vs a hopeful team in Saskatchewan, I'm a bit jealous.  I'm afraid that games at Investors Group Field will feel cavernous.  A smaller stadium is my dream. 

I hear you, im king of hoping Winnipeg and Hamilton are the only clubs paying in giant CFL stadiums.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I hear you, im king of hoping Winnipeg and Hamilton are the only clubs paying in giant CFL stadiums.

Last night Bierne said there is a focus in building appropriately sized stadiums, I wonder if having a small stadium or building one might become a for a bid in some markets 

I know we were very recently in the "we have to take anyone we can get" mode, but taking Bierne at face value would imply that they can afford to be choosier. Saying that there's been many new inquiries since that announcement and 3 serious ones on top of the 10 expressions of interest would make me think that there's probably competition for one or two markets 

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Last night Bierne said there is a focus in building appropriately sized stadiums, I wonder if having a small stadium or building one might become a for a bid in some markets 

I know we were very recently in the "we have to take anyone we can get" mode, but taking Bierne at face value would imply that they can afford to be choosier. Saying that there's been many new inquiries since that announcement and 3 serious ones on top of the 10 expressions of interest would make me think that there's probably competition for one or two markets 

Isn't that a great development? Soccer specific stadiums as a focus ... completely changes the landscape. Now the existence of a stadium is not nearly the barrier many of us thought it was. I'm sure all of these groups don't have the capital to build their own stadium, but it seems that many of them do.

4 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Isn't that a great development? Soccer specific stadiums as a focus ... completely changes the landscape. Now the existence of a stadium is not nearly the barrier many of us thought it was. I'm sure all of these groups don't have the capital to build their own stadium, but it seems that many of them do.

Yeah exactly. Changes the whole dynamic of the league 

Also Beirne talking about pricing tickets in a way to encourage sellouts reminds me of the way FC Cincinnati has handled itself. Seems like they really have studied well how some teams/leagues have taken off and others haven't 

Archived