Saskatchewan group unveiled

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Last night Bierne said there is a focus in building appropriately sized stadiums, I wonder if having a small stadium or building one might become a for a bid in some markets

I before e expect when it's an Irish Gaelic surname. A move to using an appropriately sized SSS rather than Canadian football stadia that made no extra provision for soccer would definitely be a sign that people have learned from past mistakes, so games won't wind up looking like this again as there's no width available in the midfield:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between a CFL field and an "acceptable" soccer pitch is only 5 yards. What usually causes issues for width are running tracks with jumping pits located inside of the track.  You may be getting confused with American football fields which are 15 yards narrower. 

That said, I would love to see small soccer stadiums with lush grass pop up across the country. Mr. Beirne did say that's one of the challenges they are working on, building new stadia, so I have hope. 

One thing Bierne also stressed when he was in Halifax is that they studied the MLS experience closely and are looking to replicate the successful portions and learn from the mistakes. Obviously one of the more successful moves that in my opinion saved MLS was the move to right sized soccer specific stadiums. 

I mean of course Hamilton and Winnipeg have new stadiums with great concessions and such so they will be just fine to start, That being said down the road if things are going well I think size appropriate soccer stadiums would be the goal.

20 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Obviously one of the more successful moves that in my opinion saved MLS was the move to right sized soccer specific stadiums. 

please, for the love of god, keep the stands as close to the pitch as possible.  Tight little stadiums where you're bumping elbows with your neighbour are the best for atmosphere.

I should be able to nearly spit on the players(not actually, cause I'd get kicked out)

On May 12, 2017 at 5:08 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

I mean of course Hamilton and Winnipeg have new stadiums with great concessions and such so they will be just fine to start, That being said down the road if things are going well I think size appropriate soccer stadiums would be the goal.

For Winnipeg I suppose. However, Hamilton's is 24,000 and similar capacity to a lot of MLS stadiums. The long term goal (15 to 20 years) for this league should be that range. If you think the stadium itself ragardless of capacity is not suitable for soccer due to its wide open structure, that's could be a reason to change venues eventually I suppose.

14 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

please, for the love of god, keep the stands as close to the pitch as possible.  Tight little stadiums where you're bumping elbows with your neighbour are the best for atmosphere.

I should be able to nearly spit on the players(not actually, cause I'd get kicked out)

I want to be able to hit a guy between the eyes with a bag of urine from row z.  However, I won't be getting kicked out because I'm in Vancouver so I won't be anywhere near a team in the CanPL.

Yes, as close as possible please, all four sides, covered stands.  Please, also don't do what the 86ers did for TV, having the camera on top of the only real stand at Swangard so it looked as if there were only about 14 people at each game.

4 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Yes, as close as possible please, all four sides, covered stands.  Please, also don't do what the 86ers did for TV, having the camera on top of the only real stand at Swangard so it looked as if there were only about 14 people at each game.

If the Fury haven't learned that lesson, I'm not hopeful that the CPL will.

6 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I want to be able to hit a guy between the eyes with a bag of urine from row z.  However, I won't be getting kicked out because I'm in Vancouver so I won't be anywhere near a team in the CanPL.

It's insane that FC Edmonton still hasn't figured this out.  Personally I think this has 90% to do with the reason the team hasn't taken off.  Every asshole in the comment section watches the first 5 minutes of a video and is like "smh, theres like 10 people there".

They just don't let people into "Big Blue" until the other tickets have sold - aka 15 minutes in.  so theres this massive stand thats basically empty for the first 10 minutes.  I don't care how much extra money it makes, optics are massive.

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

CPL owners have a passion for this and want to do everything possible for it to succeed as opposed to OSEG's passive interest in soccer so I wouldn't be worried about that.

Anyhow, like Complete Homer mentioned, I recall one of the Ottawa fans saying concessions/staffing/only that part of the building being open on limited capacity days as being the reason for that. 

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Unfortunately they don't have a choice. The north side, which is not open for games, is only one tier so there are no camera pits. The south side, which was completely rebuilt is two tiers with the lower two being open for games. And the south side also has a great concours at the top of the lower section where fans can wander and watch the game. So if they put a camera on the north side it would have to be either very high or very close to field level. And if they opened the north side it wouldn't be at all the same fan experience.

12 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

You know, I'm not so sure. If the model is small stadium build-solid investor-6000ish to break even, it sure opens up a lot of possibilities. 

Paul Beirne is said to have stated the following in one of the most recent articles:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/genier

The league currently has no office, and just one employee, but Beirne expects that to change in the near future. He says it’s too early to outline team budgets and pay-scales, but that a 2018 start-date is plausible.

A downscaling of break even expectations from the previously stated 6,000-8,000 range would open up even more possibilities in terms of the number of potentially viable markets and the number of investors likely to be willing to give it a try, and that snippet seems to suggest that final decisions still have to be made in that regard.

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

A downscaling of break even expectations from the previously stated 6,000-8,000 range would open up even more possibilities in terms of the number of potentially viable markets and the number of investors likely to be willing to give it a try, and that snippet seems to suggest that final decisions still have to be made in that regard.

Totally agree. Although I would suspect they are also wary of having too poor of a product due to low pay, any reduction in cost would help a team on the survival front. 

And I think it's very likely that even if all the owners have decided that 1.5mil was going to be their salary budget, this time next month they could suddenly decide to change that. Simply put, none of these decisions are iron clad, and likely few of them will be as they will be constantly subject to review. 

As you know I'm not a fan of CFL or the NFL , this sport does nothing for me to each his own. I've always wondered though with the so few dates these CFL teams play at home are these CFL stadiums profitable in the end, like for example a stadium like Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton how many dates for things like concerts and other events are scheduled there during the year so that the stadium can be close to being profitable? 

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

As you know I'm not a fan of CFL or the NFL , this sport does nothing for me to each his own. I've always wondered though with the so few dates these CFL teams play at home are these CFL stadiums profitable in the end, like for example a stadium like Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton how many dates for things like concerts and other events are scheduled there during the year so that the stadium can be close to being profitable? 

I can't speak for THF, but old Mosaic was used continuously during the year. Lots of those usages would have been for only a small amount of revenue though. Besides CFL dates, they also hosted the U of Regina Rams, and other levels of football including high school and minor football, had soccer games scheduled there 4 or 5 days every week, and hosted all kinds of community events. However, those events wouldn't drive nearly the revenue that one or two big concerts would, and there haven't been very many of those over the years. 

At the Pan Am Games in Hamilton everyone was seated on the non-main stand, so it appeared as if the stadium was nearly full. Instead there was 10,000 baking in the 30C heat while the shaded stands were empty. So there are positives and negatives to this approach. It looked better on TV, but if you know you're going to be baking in the sun on metal bleachers, maybe that's a deterrent to some people to attend. The cameras are placed on the western-most stand to that the sun is setting behind them. For smaller stadiums, this won't be an issue.

I remember the atmosphere at the Winnipeg Soccer Complex during the 2002 World Cup qualifying cycle (after it hosted the Pan Ams) and it didn't look like much when I saw it, but once it was full, it was a pretty fun little ground and it didn't look bad on TV (actually it looked a lot like King George V Park in St. John's. 

cheers, matthew

9 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I can't speak for THF, but old Mosaic was used continuously during the year. Lots of those usages would have been for only a small amount of revenue though. Besides CFL dates, they also hosted the U of Regina Rams, and other levels of football including high school and minor football, had soccer games scheduled there 4 or 5 days every week, and hosted all kinds of community events. However, those events wouldn't drive nearly the revenue that one or two big concerts would, and there haven't been very many of those over the years. 

I would think that they would continue to use Mosaic for the U of R Rams and minor/high school football, as well as the Regina Riot. I do know that the soccer lines they stitched in to the turf extend beyond the football standards at the goal line, which means that they will have to take out the standards and put a plug in place in order to place the soccer nets at the goal line.  This wasn't an issue at the old stadium.  Old Mosaic had enough room between the Football Standard and the soccer goal line to place the net without having to remove the standard.

I know its an issue that has been brought up within the RSA, and I'm not sure how they are going to deal with it as far as local soccer goes. They may have to take the standards out every time that the 'Riders aren't playing?

I would like to express my displeasure at the decision to stitch all the lines into the field...I think they made a huge mistake!!

THF hasn't been very used much, but I think the ongoing lawsuits had a hand in preventing that. It seems like they might be wrapping up , since they've also booked Rugby Canada vs USA in June and a Billy Talent concert which I think is the first concert since the original country concert they hosted in '14.

1 hour ago, Symp_Res said:

I would think that they would continue to use Mosaic for the U of R Rams and minor/high school football, as well as the Regina Riot. I do know that the soccer lines they stitched in to the turf extend beyond the football standards at the goal line, which means that they will have to take out the standards and put a plug in place in order to place the soccer nets at the goal line.  This wasn't an issue at the old stadium.  Old Mosaic had enough room between the Football Standard and the soccer goal line to place the net without having to remove the standard.

I know its an issue that has been brought up within the RSA, and I'm not sure how they are going to deal with it as far as local soccer goes. They may have to take the standards out every time that the 'Riders aren't playing?

I would like to express my displeasure at the decision to stitch all the lines into the field...I think they made a huge mistake!!

Yes I was aware of the issue of the soccer end lines running through the base of the field goal posts. Oops. Unfortunate. My understanding is that they can't take out the field goal posts on a regular basis as it is rather time consuming so they said they would 'resolve the issue' with the lines. I'm not sure what that means. I'm going to have to try to take a good look at the field during the concert at the end of May. 

18 hours ago, Macksam said:

CPL owners have a passion for this and want to do everything possible for it to succeed as opposed to OSEG's passive interest in soccer so I wouldn't be worried about that.

Anyhow, like Complete Homer mentioned, I recall one of the Ottawa fans saying concessions/staffing/only that part of the building being open on limited capacity days as being the reason for that. 

I can understand that to a point.   Keep all the fans on one side, but for the love of ...something... let the cameraman go to the other side.  If he's not allowed to use the loo over there, tell him to bring his own bucket.

On 14/05/2017 at 0:43 AM, SuperCanuck said:

17 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

You know, I'm not so sure. If the model is small stadium build-solid investor-6000ish to break even, it sure opens up a lot of possibilities. 

In that case, I'd better start drinking and eating a lot of watermelon and cucumbers.  Does anyone know where one can get some urine-grade ziplock bags in Vancouver?

Archived