Saskatchewan group unveiled

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on the footy soldiers podcast they mentioned someone by the name of Joe Bellen who may be involved in the saskatchewan group. I might've butchered the spelling of his name but they mentioned he was a former u20 player who is somehow involved and impressed alot of people at the Whistler meetings.

does anyone know about him?

Joe Belan, from Port Colborne, Ontario (Niagara) played for Roma Wolves of the CSL (in the 90s maybe??? - memory fading).  Pretty sure I recall he captained the Canadian U20s as a defender.  Unfortunately, we had no CanPL or MLS in those days so there was really nowhere for him to go, other than Europe.     

On 5/17/2017 at 7:38 PM, lazlo_80 said:

on the footy soldiers podcast they mentioned someone by the name of Joe Bellen who may be involved in the saskatchewan group. I might've butchered the spelling of his name but they mentioned he was a former u20 player who is somehow involved and impressed alot of people at the Whistler meetings.

does anyone know about him?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/?t=profile&pid=352

Seems to be a big business guy based in Vancouver.

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Aha, a double entendre user name. Excellent! I wasn't too far off after all!

I thought Newcastle's new agreed upon nickname is the Yoyos, as in the club keeps bouncing between the top and second divisions. ?

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

I thought Newcastle's new agreed upon nickname is the Yoyos, as in the club keeps bouncing between the top and second divisions. ?

I'd like to think the mackems have thrown themselves back to reclaim that title but I'd worry that they arent coming back to yo yo this time. Looks a one way ride given the amount of debt, tough opposition and no real saleable assets outside Pickford.

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

on latest two solitudes Duane strongly implied Rob Friend is working with the Saskatchewan ownership group.

It would make sense, being in those photos from the AGM. If the Rush are involved (not necessarily true just because their past president is involved) and a former CMNTer, you've got both "soccer" people and people who have experience launching a successful pro sports team in a small market

29 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

As far as I know, he is not involved in SK. 

Good to know. He said something along the lines of "he's working with an ownership group and if you know where he's from you can figure out which one"

i know he was born in SK so I just assumed that but he was raised in BC too was he not? Apologies if anyone thought I was trying to misinform. 

11 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Good to know. He said something along the lines of "he's working with an ownership group and if you know where he's from you can figure out which one"

i know he was born in SK so I just assumed that but he was raised in BC too was he not? Apologies if anyone thought I was trying to misinform. 

He was born in Rosetown, SK but if I recall correctly, he moved away to BC at a very young age. I think he moved to Kelowna, but I don't recall for certain. 

On the other hand, he could be a great 'public face of a team.' He's got a wealth of experience playing abroad. If he's got an ownership group behind him, it's a positive development imho. 

Archived