• Shamit Shome (Montreal Impact)
  • Eddie Edward (Ottawa Fury)
  • Cristian Raudales (Unattached)
  • Pablo Cruz (OC Blues)
  • Daryl Fordyce (FC Cincinnati)
  • Gustavo (Unattached)
  • Mallan Roberts (Richmond Kickers)

In:

The club exercised options on Tyler Farago, Ben Fisk, Pedro Galvao, Tomi Amoebi, Nik Ledgerwood, Nathan Ingham, Allan Zebie, Nico Di Diase, Dustin Corea, Sainey Nyassi, Jake Keegan, Marko Aleksic, Shawn Nicklaw, Karsten Smith, Albert Watson, and Pape Diakite

• Netan Sansara (Fredrikstad)
  • Adam Straith (Fredrikstad)
  • Maruo Eustaquio (Kvik Halden FK)
  • Sabri Khattab (Fredrikstad)
  • Chris Konopka (Portland Timbers)
  • Dean Shiels (Dundalk FC)

Predicted XI

17440233_1294890453913731_405781683_n.pn

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FC Edmonton loses season opener in Jacksonville

FC Edmonton lost 1-0 in their season opener on the road to the Jacksonville Armada FC on Sunday, conceding the only goal of the game off an untimely giveaway by captain Nik Ledgerwood.

“I’m disappointed with the outcome, clearly,” said FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller. “I said at halftime to the players that it would be a mistake from us, rather than something brilliant from Jacksonville to lose the game, and that’s exactly what happened that created their opportunity.

“I’m disappointed, although we were playing in very difficult conditions, it was very warm, 90 degrees when we arrived at the stadium, not the type of weather we had in Edmonton, although I don’t want to make excuses.”

J.C. Banks scored in the 77th minute, intercepting an errant pass from Ledgerwood and going on to place a left-footed shot past FC Edmonton goalkeeper Chris Konopka.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton-loses-season-opener-in-jacksonville

29 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Predictions on attendance for the home opener? Season ticket sales were way up, and the club amped up marketing with a pop up shop and higher presence around town. Think they can crack 3000?

I'm going to say yes. I've heard sales are great in advance of this game. 

FC Edmonton home opener today :

FC Edmonton get another shot at Jacksonville in home opener

Fortunately, the North American Soccer League club gets the next best thing Saturday in their home opener against the Jacksonville Armada FC (7 p.m.) at Clarke Stadium.

FC Edmonton opened the season last week with a 1-0 defeat in Jacksonville and will get an opportunity to redeem themselves.

“This is an ideal opportunity to do it, because it’s directly against that opposition,” said FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller. “We certainly owe them one. The players were very disappointed as you can imagine, not necessarily with the performance, but the result.

Watch on NASL.com at 9pmET/7pm MT

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton-get-another-shot-at-jacksonville-in-home-opener

Attendance was 3269, which is a big improvement over last year's average. While the main stand didn't look very full, the supporters section looked packed, and the other stand looked pretty full as well. Kudos to Jay Ball if they can keep these attendance figures up.

On the pitch, it was a typical FC Edmonton game. Chances in attack, but lack of finishing really kills the team. 0 goals in 2 games results in 2 losses and the bottom of the table to start the season. Losing Fordyce was a big blow; he wasn't spectacular but was still the club's most consistent scorer. As good as Ameobi was in 2014-15, he has simply lost his form. Keegan is not the answer either, and Shiels hasn't really shown much although it's early. I wonder if FC Edmonton would consider a loan for someone like Jordan Hamilton, it could be a good fit for both parties?

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

Attendance was 3269, which is a big improvement over last year's average. While the main stand didn't look very full, the supporters section looked packed, and the other stand looked pretty full as well. Kudos to Jay Ball if they can keep these attendance figures up.

On the pitch, it was a typical FC Edmonton game. Chances in attack, but lack of finishing really kills the team. 0 goals in 2 games results in 2 losses and the bottom of the table to start the season. Losing Fordyce was a big blow; he wasn't spectacular but was still the club's most consistent scorer. As good as Ameobi was in 2014-15, he has simply lost his form. Keegan is not the answer either, and Shiels hasn't really shown much although it's early. I wonder if FC Edmonton would consider a loan for someone like Jordan Hamilton, it could be a good fit for both parties?

When I saw a couple of the highlights it looked like 'Big Blue' was only sparsely occupied. But then I was told that the near side was packed, so that is good. Not the greatest weather (again) so that's a positive start in terms of attendance in Edmonton.

How did the team play? in the midfield. Seems by ur review than the forwards let the team down. It's still early for the big 3 of Ameobi, Shiels, Keegan. Also would love a Jordan hamilton loan to add more competition. Guess Marko Aleskic isn't going on loan. 

MILLER ON NORTH CAROLINA DEFEAT: “WE DIDN’T DO OURSELVES ANY JUSTICE”

Head coach Colin Miller’s men were down 2-0 in the first 22 minutes from a combination of quality finishing by NCFC and lapses in defence from FC Edmonton, leaving the Eddies with an early mountain to climb away from home. 

“We spoke before the match of the quality [Lance Laing] has from free kicks and we were proven right as he punished us with a fantastic finish off a free kick that we shouldn’t have given away,” Miller commented. “The second goal came from poor defending and a good strike to the near post. Our players responded well for the most part in the second half other than going asleep for their third goal.”

“We didn’t do ourselves any justice [against North Carolina] from a defensive point of view,” Miller added. “We’ve come away from the first three matches of the season with zero points when we could’ve won [April 8] against Jacksonville and drawn the first game. When you go from the best defensive record in the league by a mile last year to a catalogue of errors early in the season, it’s disappointing.”

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2017/04/17/miller-on-north-carolina-defeat-we-didnt-do-ourselves-any-justice

17 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

3,582 attendance while competing head to head with the Oilers is very promising.  

I really hope they can start getting >4,000 consistently this year.  The season seat drive they made looks like it's paying off.

Really good considering other teams have tanked on occasion at the box office like the Deltas last week and the Cosmos yesterday....

On 2017-04-18 at 5:54 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Not sure but I think these were done late and the jerseys are still forthcoming.

@jedinathan may have a better idea of the situation so maybe he will chime in.

Just saw this... it was a tough couple of weeks so I was avoiding too much social media stuff...

anyways, don't know about jerseys online but they did have them for sale at the game on Saturday. Also had a deal $20 for a scarf and toque which they sold a ton of. 

As for saturdays attendance, it was a damn good turnout. Plenty left at half I think due to oilers and weather but it wasn't the coldest I've been there for. To me this showed how positive jay has been as a GM. The bridge certainly has been rebuilt with minor soccer as that was a major reason for the high number... there were loads of kids there. If they get a game where there's no hockey and good weather I'm expecting some sell outs. 

Archived