FC Edmonton 2017 season

FC Edmonton hasn't lived up to their end of the bargain regarding a new stadium. Even with their attendance growth this year, they still aren't selling out games. So, no new stadium. From the article:

The council strategy would consider expanding the 5,000 seat stadium, if the Eddies sold out every game. Fath said attendance is improving, but they’ve only had a couple of sell outs so far.

Since Clarke is not running at capacity, that has not changed.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see that FC Edmonton's attendance has improved, it's nice to see highlight's of games from Edmonton with most of the stands full, the owner's of FC Edmonton have put a lot of money into this organization from top to bottom.  My only concern is the league they play in the NASL. of course if this CPL ever gets off the ground and I'll believe when I actually see a game played, that's where they should be. However, for now they need to move into the USL, they can play in a division with teams closer to them, which means less travel, and in a leaghue that is growing and a lot more stable than the NASL which every season seems to be on it's death bed.

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Good to see that FC Edmonton's attendance has improved, it's nice to see highlight's of games from Edmonton with most of the stands full, the owner's of FC Edmonton have put a lot of money into this organization from top to bottom.  My only concern is the league they play in the NASL. of course if this CPL ever gets off the ground and I'll believe when I actually see a game played, that's where they should be. However, for now they need to move into the USL, they can play in a division with teams closer to them, which means less travel, and in a leaghue that is growing and a lot more stable than the NASL which every season seems to be on it's death bed.

They won't go to USL and they shouldn't, would make no sense, USL expansion fee is $5 million and if NASL folds they can go straight to CPL if it launches in 2018 or do an exhibition season and then go CPL in 2019. If NASL gets its injunction then stay in NASL, the league they're part owners, in and switch to CPL at launch (don't see a 2018 CPL launch likely without Edmonton).NISA would also be an option for one year if they need it and NASL clubs may be admitted without a fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the season didn’t end all that well, but there are a lot of positives to it. Fc Edmonton’s attendance was great and they are starting to build up a following. Getting that many people to games when the team played so poorly is impressive.

fc Edmonton’s poor play can also be chalked up to uncertainty and poor scouting. Which means, they still have a good base. At the beggining of the season they brought in two players who they wanted to be game changers. Neither of them were. Long story short, they let them go and had no one to fill that role. When a team can only offer single season contracts it is hard to get any game changing player. And when you are looking halfway through the season it is even harder. In my opinion they did a good job. Mckendry was about the best they could get to fill the midfield.

The effort the coaching staff made to improve the team and even more so the office staff is awesome. They work incredibly hard, and so do most of the players... hopefully once this team gets into a more stable league and financial position they will be successful. But I have to say I still love the team, and they still deserve our full support. Hopefully they survive, or I don’t know what I am gonna do on the weekends next summer.

the club has do better with international slots. Watson n Fordyce  are the only ones that really contribute and they count as canadians now. Diakite Amoebi Nyassi contribute too..

The other internationals can be cut .. Sansara, DI Biase .. Leaving 5 new internationals spots for next year

And the exodus of talent in Edmonton begins.

I know Corea won the Supporters MVP in 2017, but he really only looked good this year in comparison to rest of the club's atrocious attack. Always thought he was very overrated throughout his time in Edmonton; lots of flashy moves and turnovers when I watched him.

Puerto Rico FC continues to haunt FC Edmonton

FC Edmonton got off to yet another poor start to a match, and the Eddies dug themselves a hole they couldn’t find a way out of.

Thanks to some wayward passes and defensive lapses, the Eddies gave up goals to Jordi Quintilla and Hector Ramos in the first 15 minutes, and they would stand up as Puerto Rico FC went on to a 2-0 win in a “home” match on a field in Kissimmee, Fla.

Midfielder Dustin Corea, who was won the award as the team MVP as chosen by the supporters, did not make the trip with a knee injury. As Edmonton wraps up the season Saturday in Miami, we know he won’t play for the team again this season. On Tuesday, he tweeted his farewell to the club and its fans; but Miller said that the player has not been released.

https://the11.ca/puerto-rico-fc-continues-to-haunt-fc-edmonton/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived