FC Edmonton 2017 season

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

So, I think Edmonton may have sold out the game tonight. Attendance was 4096, and according to this Steven Sandor article, that's the sellout number at Clarke Stadium. Gotta give Jay Ball and the front office big time props for the crowds they are drawing this year, especially when last year's attendance was very low at times.

https://the11.ca/eddies-hope-surprise-bye-week-will-work-to-their-benefit/

Really shows that selling a team comes down to way more than demographics and on field quality. You've got to connect to the community

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Are any of the Eddies themselves fan favorites??  Anything comparable to Matheson for creating a buzz?  

Well in my opinion... no. Only because you'd have a hard time going to any minor soccer youth player and getting an answer on who plays on the CanMNT let alone their fav player and if they play for FCEd. With the women's team doing so well it's easier for youth and families to identify and make an effort to see their heros  

I do know that I've heard a few comments lately from younger fans at the games who are big fans of Zebie.

The club did a fantastic job last night. Felt like something special. A big BIG difference from what I've seen this year compared to others is that the front office won't let up. I'm expecting more calls, more "events" like last night and more effort to get out into the mainstream conscious. There's been a noticeable increase in posts related to FCEd from other Edmonton media (radio stations tweeting out that a game is going on for example) lately too. 

Im probably too early for this, but I think that if FCEd can maintain these crowds and keep the energy going... they have a solid argument on re-examining the layout of Clarke, or even looking at some increase in seating. If they could get some small increases to try and keep the atmosphere while attracting more people it would be fantastic. Doubling the size of Clarke would destroy the atmosphere that they've worked really hard to cultivate. 

Eddies are thoroughly dominated last night (according to reports, don't think anyone watched the game) and lose 3-0 to Puerto Rico. I haven't watched them as much as I usually do, but they have looked terrible this year. Miller needs to go for this club to return, but unfortunately his latest extension hasn't even kicked in yet, and has 3 more years.

https://the11.ca/fce-coach-miller-on-lopsided-loss-to-puerto-rico-the-buck-stops-with-me/

Well, thanks to a goal and an assist to Giuseppe Gentile, and some poor FC Edmonton defending, PRFC got its first win in blowout fashion. PRFC beat Edmonton 3-0, destroying any kind of momentum the Eddies thought they might have built with last weekend’s win over the Indy Eleven.

The shots on goal tally was 9-1 for Puerto Rico. Shot attempts? An ugly 15-4.

FCE coach Colin Miller called it “arguably FC Edmonton’s worst performance” since he took over as the team’s coach ahead of the 2013 season.

“The buck stops with me,” said the coach. “I’m big enough to accept that when things go like that, it’s a reflection on Colin Miller.”

Miller apologized to FCE’s fans and ownership for the team’s performance on the night.

9 hours ago, shermanator said:

Eddies are thoroughly dominated last night (according to reports, don't think anyone watched the game) and lose 3-0 to Puerto Rico. I haven't watched them as much as I usually do, but they have looked terrible this year. Miller needs to go for this club to return, but unfortunately his latest extension hasn't even kicked in yet, and has 3 more years.

https://the11.ca/fce-coach-miller-on-lopsided-loss-to-puerto-rico-the-buck-stops-with-me/

Hopefully it was a one-off.  They looked good at home the previous game against Indy, although given their season so far you could probably argue that game was the one-off.  At least they don't have to wait long to play again.

FC Edmonton roar back to down host New York Cosmos

The tide turned little more than halfway through the second half, when Nyassi scored on a header past Cosmos keeper Brian Holt off a cross from Pedro Galvao in the 69th minute. Three minutes later, Amoebi’s first marker of the night put the Eddies ahead 2-1.

Then, penalty disaster for the Cosmos. A pair of red cards five minutes apart — at the 74- and 79-minute marks to Darrius Barnes and Juan Guerra, respectively — put the Cosmos two men down, and the Eddies cash in six- and 10 minutes later on Keegan’s winner and Ameobi’s second of the match. Ayoze notches the final Cosmos goal in added time.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/soccer/fc-edmonton-roar-back-to-down-host-new-york-cosmos

FCE coach Miller on Miami FC: “This is not Barcelona that we’re playing”

FC Edmonton coach Colin Miller is expecting a short bench when his team hosts NASL-leading Miami FC Saturday night.

Fullback Netan Sansara, captain Nik Ledgerwood and midfielder Dean Shiels missed Wednesday’s win over the New York Cosmos due to injuries. And, now, midfielder Dustin Corea is a doubt for Saturday. And defender Adam Straith is away with the Canadian national team.

9 p.m. ET | Saturday, June 10
Clarke Stadium | Edmonton, Alberta
Watch | NASL.com (National – Canada), Facebook Live(National – Canada)

https://the11.ca/fce-coach-miller-on-miami-fc-this-is-not-barcelona-that-were-playing/

15 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yes they lost to Miami but play has improved over the last two games. No way Ingham is worse than Conopka and also Fisk and Eustaquio are playing so it looks better now. Hope they can start to get into shape for the fall season. 

Good attendance for the Eddies again, close to 3900 at Clarke, looked good on the broadcast and nice to see them having a big jump in attendance this year compared to last.

I don't understand the captaincy situation. Watson has been the team captain for years, but Miller decides to give it to Ledgerwood. Nick gets injured, but instead of giving the armband back to Watson, Diakite gets it. Something just isn't right.

13 hours ago, masster said:

I don't understand the captaincy situation. Watson has been the team captain for years, but Miller decides to give it to Ledgerwood. Nick gets injured, but instead of giving the armband back to Watson, Diakite gets it. Something just isn't right.

From what's been circulating around the closest of fans, word is that Watson had a fall out with a former player and was stripped of the captaincy as a result.

9 hours ago, ThatDaveCh said:

From what's been circulating around the closest of fans, word is that Watson had a fall out with a former player and was stripped of the captaincy as a result.

Not surprising at all. Even from far away, it is so obvious that something isn't right in Edmonton.

locker room issues ... always here stories .. hanson, sadi, new signings, mallan was mad about losing his starting, zebie n the team  had issues with him losing his starting spot last year 

Must be Fordyce and Watson    

On 6/8/2017 at 4:07 PM, yothat said:

new starting goalie ... 

Zebie is better in the midfield than LB 

agreed.  he's got some halfway decent offensive and ball carrying instincts, but he has a tendancy to make some boneheaded passes on D.

and yea I would say Ingham has earned the starting role until further notice.

On 6/10/2017 at 4:15 PM, CDNFootballer said:

FCE coach Miller on Miami FC: “This is not Barcelona that we’re playing”

FC Edmonton coach Colin Miller is expecting a short bench when his team hosts NASL-leading Miami FC Saturday night.

Fullback Netan Sansara, captain Nik Ledgerwood and midfielder Dean Shiels missed Wednesday’s win over the New York Cosmos due to injuries. And, now, midfielder Dustin Corea is a doubt for Saturday. And defender Adam Straith is away with the Canadian national team.

9 p.m. ET | Saturday, June 10
Clarke Stadium | Edmonton, Alberta
Watch | NASL.com (National – Canada), Facebook Live(National – Canada)

https://the11.ca/fce-coach-miller-on-miami-fc-this-is-not-barcelona-that-were-playing/

Can't decide if I like this statement or not.  I like the idea of saying it's a beatable team, but at the same time, it's borderline bulletin board material for Miami - who are without a doubt the class of NASL at the moment.  They might not be Barcelona, but at the moment they are the NASL equivalent.

2 minutes ago, Steedman said:

I think he signed a multi year extension before the season started. He's not employed by Roman Abramovich so cash is an issue, pending something major Miller wont get fired.

Correct, he signed a three year extension that wasn't going to kick in until 2018.

Archived