Grand River CPL Supporters

Levi Oakey

10 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

Was Paul Bierne in Waterloo related to CPL for K-W? Saw a post on twitter that he was having a bit of ABE ERB K-W local brew.

Hard to say unless he tips something off or someone finds out something.  Like last week he tweeted he was heading out to Vancouver.  It's interesting but really nothing concrete to post about so I didn't.  For all I know he could of been visiting friends.  There's enough rumours and innuendo on here lol

6 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

Yeah. Paul has spent time in KW in the past. No guarantees it means anything but we know Barry is working hard on getting a team here. I am sure there are tons of discussions right now. 

I've got to think Barry is looking for other investors. I don't think he really has the funds on his own to run a CPL team. 

Barry has said he already has investors lined up, the biggest issue is stadium still. In regard to Paul's presence, yeah; nothing concrete. But, Paul was quite profuse in telling me at the L1O all-star game that Barry is a great friend of his. It's entirely possible that they got together for beer and discussion. 

Also, in regard to the L1O discussion, pretty sure I've driven Barry nuts by beating on that drum: I would love to see us move there until we get into canPL!! Roadtrips would be so much easier, we could actually follow through when we sing "and where you go we'll follow"!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-09-03 at 2:28 PM, Complete Homer said:

Well, there goes the "European teams would never do this" point against mid-season friendlies for MLS teams. A couple of European teams doing it, and traveling to North America to do it even!

I guess this is during the international break? That's how they have the time to do this?

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Well, there goes the "European teams would never do this" point against mid-season friendlies for MLS teams. A couple of European teams doing it, and traveling to North America to do it even!

I guess this is during the international break? That's how they have the time to do this?

Pretty much. Benfica played Celtic during the Ex a few years ago and there was a FIFA window.

• 3 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 6:27 PM, Nathanael Martin said:

Barry has said he already has investors lined up, the biggest issue is stadium still. In regard to Paul's presence, yeah; nothing concrete. But, Paul was quite profuse in telling me at the L1O all-star game that Barry is a great friend of his. It's entirely possible that they got together for beer and discussion. 

Also, in regard to the L1O discussion, pretty sure I've driven Barry nuts by beating on that drum: I would love to see us move there until we get into canPL!! Roadtrips would be so much easier, we could actually follow through when we sing "and where you go we'll follow"!!

Sorry for responding to a super old post, but was Barry receptive to a move to L1O? Would be great to have more clubs that can draw a crowd in L1O.

On 31/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Sorry for responding to a super old post, but was Barry receptive to a move to L1O? Would be great to have more clubs that can draw a crowd in L1O.

My understanding is that they won't move to L1O. The PDL team serves the purpose of providing playing time for NCAA players that Maclean's firm represents.

For players planning their career around using the American system, PDL allows them to have competition that is easily understood by American scouts while not running into issues with season length 

I wish they'd go the L1O route by I understand where they are coming from

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/9510060-grand-river-union-soccer-supporters-seek-feedback-on-cpl-support/

KITCHENER — The Grand River Union is looking for feedback.

The association, a small group of local soccer supporters, has launched an online survey to gauge public interest in bringing a Canadian Premier League team to Waterloo Region. Links to the survey, which closes Aug. 5, are available on the group's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts....

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot