Concacaf Hex results (R)

Soccerpro

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bad news for whoever goes into the intercontinental playoff versus the AFC team. It is Australia vs Syria in the AFC fourth round and the winner goes into the intercontinental playoff. You have to think that Australia will win it and play either USA, Panama, Honduras or Trinidad & Tobago. If you are one of those CONCACAF teams you are probably getting sweaty palms right now.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/australia-forced-into-playoff-round-for-spot-at-2018-fifa-world-cup-20170905-gyblpi.html

3 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Bad news for whoever goes into the intercontinental playoff versus the AFC team. It is Australia vs Syria in the AFC fourth round and the winner goes into the intercontinental playoff. You have to think that Australia will win it and play either USA, Panama, Honduras or Trinidad & Tobago. If you are one of those CONCACAF teams you are probably getting sweaty palms right now.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/australia-forced-into-playoff-round-for-spot-at-2018-fifa-world-cup-20170905-gyblpi.html

Looking more likely that it might be USA vs Australia.

The US missing the world cup is very real. 

A win for Panama against Trinidad and the US gets relegated to 4th place

The US are looking very beatable lately from a CONCACAF point of view of course. Canada is improving while the US are declining after they peaked in the last world cup. Pulisic can't save that team on his own.

Canada for 2022!!!!

7 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Poking the Grizzly bear are ya? I expect he's working on a 1000 word response right now lol

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of these propaganda screeds. No one else brings politics into the board in any real way.

I also don't understand why he's like this, I find his on-topic posting to be of quite high quality. Unfortunately, he goes on these rants about 'western propaganda' after the latest Russian outrage, invariable to be proven incontrovertibly wrong by some official Russian admission a few months later. Remember when he was denying that the Russians had annexed Crimea or were involved in the Ukrainian civil war despite the obvious facts a couple of years ago?

As someone of Ukrainian descent I also find it depressing that it's perfectly acceptable to deny and justify the endless brutality of the Soviets/Russians against the Ukraine since the start of the USSR. The Holodomor and forced migration of various ethnicities during the Soviet era killed more people, mostly Ukrainians, than the Holocaust but it's considered just fine to rationalize and even be nostalgic for that regime and their actions. Someone denying the reality of the Holocaust or celebrating Nazism would be tossed off this board in a second but Grizzly gets free reign for his posts.

And about Syria: let's not forget that their civil war started when the Russian-backed Assad regime, not for the first time, started killing peaceful civilian protestors en masse in the middle of the Arab spring (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-26116868).

Assad and their Russian/Iranian/Hezbollah allies have been responsible for more outrageous war crimes than even ISIS including mass torturing to death of prisoners and endless indiscriminate barrel bombings of civilians. Canada is part of the western coalition that is trying to make the best of a bad situation in that conflict and I couldn't be prouder of our role. To me, fighting in these modern conflicts is more noble in many ways than our participation in the world wars, where we mostly joined out of a sense of colonial obligation.

Apologies for going off topic, but this has been chaping my ass for a while. Grizzly is free to respond to me by DM if he wants to continue the discussion.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

USA play at home vs. Panama on MD 9 and finish at T&T while Panama host Costa Rica. Barring some funky result(s) the US will likely grab that third spot.

They've been playing really bad lately. They seems to blame the coach. Panama will put up a fight or park the bus for a draw.

I see the US having to face Australia in intercontinental playoffs and losing.

US out of 2018

The US has had some issues on the backline didnt realize missing Yedlin and Brooks would be so big but yeesh was it...they had the run of play at home vs CR just couldnt finish..but credit to the Ticos they got it done....

The US is in a tough spot...they REALLY need to transition out some older players but because they dug such a hole early in the Hex the whole focus has just been "get to Russia" therefore they haven't had the luxury of an earlier qualification to transition the older guys out...at this point they are probably gonna roll with an old and depleted team 2018 and then turn it over after that..

The Panama game at home is MASSIVE......the biggest thing is the US gas the easiest schedule left of Panama/USA/Honduras

USA: Panama (H) at T&T

Panama: at USA CR (H)

Honduras: CR (H) at Mexico

18 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

The Panama game at home is MASSIVE......the biggest thing is the US gas the easiest schedule left of Panama/USA/Honduras

USA: Panama (H) at T&T

Panama: at USA CR (H)

Honduras: CR (H) at Mexico

Actually, Honduras are at Costa Rica and then home to Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

USA needs to win both their games if they wanna secure a top 3 finish directly to Russia 2018

Mexico and Costa Rica have already qualified

Let Panama and Honduras fight it out the final playoff spot where they should face New Zealand 

I thought that they are supposed to play Australia or Syria. New Zealand plays CONMEBOL fifth place right?

5:20 mark

The reason the US are in this is not because of Bruce Arena, Klinsmann, it's because the US are not a very good team. They get the odd good results but they are not a very good team.

3:48

But they're not a good team! :D

The USMNT are indeed an "old team"

Archived