Ottawa Fury 2017 Season in USL

11 hours ago, yothat said:

Does ottawa have to have 6 canadians on the field like the baby whitecaps n tfcII

I don't think there's been any official word on CSA roster restrictions for Ottawa, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Out of 8 Canadians on the roster so far only 4 are obvious starter considerations (Haworth, Irving, Dixon, Edward) and 3 of them are goalkeepers (Irving, MacRae, Paulmin). Dalglish has said he only plans to sign 1 or 2 more players before the start of the season, so it doesn't look like there's going to be any special rules in place.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Championship dates

2017 Qualifying Round

3 May Ottawa Fury FC v FC Edmonton
10 May FC Edmonton v Ottawa Fury FC

2017 Semi-final Rounds
23 May (Qualifying Round winner) v Toronto FC
23 May Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Impact Montréal FC
30 May Impact Montréal FC v Vancouver Whitecaps FC
31 May Toronto FC v (Qualifying Round winner)

2017 Championship Final
20/21 June First leg between Semi-Final winners
* Should Montreal make the Final this match will be played on June 21
27 June Second leg between Semi-Final winners

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 9:21 AM, yothat said:

Does ottawa have to have 6 canadians on the field like the baby whitecaps n tfcII

No, different types of teams : Ottawa Fury are MLS Montreal's minor league affiliate but WC2 and TFCII are MLS farm/reserve teams.

Ottawa may as well be under a different situation and only temporarily in USL before moving to CPL when the Canadian D1 league launches.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, Preki has totally changed STL. Only 4 holdovers from last year, and they play a possession game now. As the season progresses, they will get even better. Not convinced their D is where it should be though. I saw a few of their matches live last year, they were totally different - more straight forward of a team. TFC pick Wes Charpie on the left for STL, looks totally one-footed. If he had a left foot he could be a decent player!

Edit - funny at the half they show the interview when Preki was hired and he - and the gm - is saying they are not that far off and just need "tweaks". He also talks of great local players. Then he changes the entire team - gets rid of all but 3 locals - and playing system! Haha...

Tale of two halves! Ottawa dominating the second half - straightforward, fast and "furious".

The little winger Campbell, is really lively. Dos Santos not doing much but STL is all over him. That tall centre back played well too, number 14. Changed the game. But sadly, do not remember anything from any of the Canadian players (less Irving in the first half).

Edit: Jeez - after two missed penalty calls, STL scores on the counter with three minutes left! Totally against the run of play.

Stl 3 Ott 2

Ottawa dominated second half - had all the momentum, tied it, kept up the pressure going for the win in the last ten minutes and got hit with the counter. Since it didn't work out, can question whether Ottawa should have taken the foot off the gas and settled down after tying it. But the ref played a big part in the final ten minutes... Great match to watch, actually. No Canadian contribution, however.

From ottawafuryfc.com:

"Max Alvarez found space behind Ottawa’s defence and sent the ball past Callum Irving. Sergio Manesio desperately tried to clear the ball away, but he was unfortunately credited with the own goal. Despite a valiant effort, Fury FC dropped their season opener 3-2."

I dunno... looked pretty disorganized and a full on own goal.  Frustrating end of game for sure.

2 games into the start of the USL season and 2 losses, yesterdays 1-0 defeat to Tampa was i think expected, Tampa has 2/3 players each worth more than the whole Fury team, even though Tampa had a huge territorial advantage, i dont think Fury goalie Irving had to make any saves as difficult as Tampa goalie Fitzgerald did. Fury's next game is again away at Richmond who have 4 ex Fury players Tissot, DeBellis, Oliver and Roberts.

It should be noted that the Fury started the season with 3 straight games on the road, obviously because of the weather, whereas Tampa started the season with 3 straight games at home.

Lineup versus Richmond:

Bench: Paulmin, Venter, Mkungilwa, Manesio, Barden, Hume, Seoane

Williams makes his first start since returning from injury and McEleney returns from suspension, replacing Barden and Seoane in the XI.

Roberts, Tissot and Oliver start for Richmond, DeBellis on the bench

Ok I have to get this off my chest. The Ottawa Fury are lame. Seriously what is this? http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/782250?referrer_id=2824815

This is the most forced thing that has ever happened in Canadian sports.

Your rival has a goddamn "2" in its name. Who thought this was a good idea? Why are you ruining an actual classic rivalry with your lame one? 

Archived