Ottawa Fury 2017 Season in USL

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mianjo said:

Latest signings Spanish-born American forward Sito Seoane and Jamaican defender Andrae Campbell.

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2016/11/10/fury-fc-bolster-attack-and-defence-with-two-new-signings

Seoane is 27 and 5' 10"/1.78m tall, a forward described as having a similarly aggressive playstyle to Carl. He played with Paul Dalglish in the PDL in 2013, scoring 9 goals in 18 matches. He spent the last two years with one of the smaller clubs in the Icelandic Premier League, scoring 16 in 44 matches.

Campell is also 27 and also 5' 10"/1.78m tall, a left wingback who has earned nine caps for Jamaica since 2009. Began his career in Jamaica before moving to Norway and then to USL where he's played the last three seasons, making a total of 62 appearances for Wilmington and Orange County.

I just noticed that the Fury mentioned Carl and Jamar in this post from Friday, but not Tissot.

We could maybe call it semi-confirmation that he won't be returning next year (not that that would necessarily be surprisng). It could theoretically just be that he's looking to move abroad and has Ottawa as a fall-back so the club didn't want to make it seem like they expected him to return, but that seems like quite a stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

That would suck more than anything that has ever sucked!

Also, Pugh said last month that he didn't want to be an affiliate. Ottawa can't be that stupid, to think people would buy season tickets to games for an farm team, especially at the price it is now. 

They would not be a farm team, Fury have already signed 13 of their own players, Montreal would probably loan 1-4 players for the season, the Fury and Montreal have had agreements before, we had a player on loan 2 seasons ago, and Maxime Tissot came to Fury after he was released by the Impact.

11 hours ago, mianjo said:

I guess that is the end of Alves as a member of the Fury.

I meant to post an article I found last week, there was a Brazilian news outlet that interviewed Rafa. The jist of it was that he thinks the USL is a decent league, but that it's better suited to younger guys while the NASL is better for more experienced players like himself. I don't believe it explicitly stated that he was leaving, but he seems to be leaning towards looking elsewhere.

Paul Dalglish has said that he's going to stick with the three-at-the-back setup we had last season, so it's still not totally unreasonable to think Alves could stay given that McEleney's only our second CB under contract for next season.

On a side note, McEleney is a great signing, over 150 appearances in the League of Ireland with Derry and St. Pat's, and an FAI Cup win with Derry in 2012. I imagine he'll be a really top CB in the USL.

2 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Looks like the Fury have signed their starting keeper. Callum Irving will be a good addition to the squad.

http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news/2016/12/06/fury-fc-increase-canadian-content-signing-goalkeeper-callum-irving

Great pickup, should be a really strong starter for us.

'97 Felix Clapin-Girard was released by Granada this summer, he'd be a great young local keeper to round out our goalkeeping corps, assuming he hasn't found another club in Europe.

Archived