Ottawa Fury 2017 Season in USL

As Ottawa Fury have made a move down now from NASL to 3rd Division USL for the 2017 season the roster rumors have begun. Olivera, Peiser, Eustaquio apparently are not returning for next year and others may follow. As the USL pays considerably less than the NASL on average expect to see more of the roster not return as they will likely not be interested in taking pay cuts to stay in Ottawa. Edwards is apparently an exception as he returned to Ottawa from Edmonton this year for family reasons and wants to stay in Ottawa.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

As Ottawa Fury have made a move down now from NASL to 3rd Division USL for the 2017 season the roster rumors have begun. Olivera, Peiser, Eustaquio apparently are not returning for next year and others may follow. As the USL pays considerably less than the NASL on average expect to see more of the roster not return as they will likely not be interested in taking pay cuts to stay in Ottawa. Edwards is apparently an exception as he returned to Ottawa from Edmonton this year for family reasons and wants to stay in Ottawa.

Well supposedly they're keeping a similar budget, so I'm not sure pay would be the biggest factor.

7 minutes ago, Zem said:

Well supposedly they're keeping a similar budget, so I'm not sure pay would be the biggest factor.

Well although they said "roughly the same" I think that's sales talk for the fans that's to be expected. Fury will take advantage of the lower salaries in USL to cut costs. Hopefully there will be a handful at least staying for 2017.

8 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Well although they said "roughly the same" I think that's sales talk for the fans that's to be expected. Fury will take advantage of the lower salaries in USL to cut costs. Hopefully there will be a handful at least staying for 2017.

The truth is probably in the middle somewhere. Ottawa was near the bottom end of NASL and will apparently  be near the top end of USL. Even still, if a lot of key guys are being asked to take a 20k-ish salary, I bet quite a few will walk away. 

Its not really a jump down to div 3 seeing as all signs suggest USL will gain second division status for the 2017 season, big part of that was the USL today announcing they were officially going to 3 subs. Rosters always changed at the end of the season but there are also players that are rumoured to be stayed.  Based on your post you seem to be using Ours Is The Fury as your source, which also retweeted others who have named a few players who could be staying.  Narrative aside this was pretty predicable as the remains of MDS's squad leaves (Peiser, Eustaquio, Alves) and the Dalglish does the best he can to keep around the ones he likes.  Haworth rumoured to be staying, De Bellis will hopefully resign, Rozeboom will likely also stay.  Obasi and Porter have shown interest in staying.  There was always going to be turn over but the fact they are going from "second to third divison" which is only partly true, has little to do with players leaving and more likely to do with them either not having a place in the team anymore or Fury not meeting their contract demands and want to cut large budgets.  

3 hours ago, stuart.mac said:

Its not really a jump down to div 3 seeing as all signs suggest USL will gain second division status for the 2017 season, big part of that was the USL today announcing they were officially going to 3 subs. Rosters always changed at the end of the season but there are also players that are rumoured to be stayed.  Based on your post you seem to be using Ours Is The Fury as your source, which also retweeted others who have named a few players who could be staying.  Narrative aside this was pretty predicable as the remains of MDS's squad leaves (Peiser, Eustaquio, Alves) and the Dalglish does the best he can to keep around the ones he likes.  Haworth rumoured to be staying, De Bellis will hopefully resign, Rozeboom will likely also stay.  Obasi and Porter have shown interest in staying.  There was always going to be turn over but the fact they are going from "second to third divison" which is only partly true, has little to do with players leaving and more likely to do with them either not having a place in the team anymore or Fury not meeting their contract demands and want to cut large budgets.  

Whether or not they are successful in their application for D2 is speculation and it is fully a drop down to D3 as that's what USL is sanctioned as. They don't meet the D2 standards currently and have issues so its no sure thing like some seem to think. The fact that they had hoped for a favorable decision at USSF's September meeting in New York and didn't receive it speaks to that. USSF will make the decision soon an will have the final say obviously, no one knows what the outcome will be.

I agree that the rumored roster moves are predictable and the Fury will take advantage to cut costs where they can now and roster is one of the areas it can do so in USL. I hope they retain Daglish though, we'll see.

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Good thing we have a third or fourth thread on this topic. 

It's obviously just so he could get D3 placed into the title (which actually might change in December if various tweets are to be believed). Think it's time for a separate USL subforum, personally. Hope the moderators do that once the formalities are out of the way on the Fury's sanctioning.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Whether or not they are successful in their application for D2 is speculation and it is fully a drop down to D3 as that's what USL is sanctioned as. They don't meet the D2 standards currently and have issues so its no sure thing like some seem to think. The fact that they had hoped for a favorable decision at USSF's September meeting in New York and didn't receive it speaks to that. USSF will make the decision soon an will have the final say obviously, no one knows what the outcome will be.

I agree that the rumored roster moves are predictable and the Fury will take advantage to cut costs where they can now and roster is one of the areas it can do so in USL. I hope they retain Daglish though, we'll see.

All signs are pointing to them getting D2 status,  You say they currently dont meet D2 standards, but who makes those standards? The USSF. They can change their own standards.  You know which league ALSO doesn't meet D2 standards this year?  NASL. 

Currently, USL is divison 3.  Currently, Ottawa Fury are members of Division 2 NASL.  When Fury join the USL next year in 2017, USL will likely be Div 2 according to Fury, some of my sources and a lot of American soccer know-it-alls. So to say Fury are "in" Div 3, or are "dropping" into div 3, or "will be" in Div 3 is complete misinformation that is playing into the narrative you're trying to create.  

Point being part of Fury's plan to move to the USL is that they will get division two status before a ball is kicked. 

Also Dalglish already retained hes on a three year contract and they are not sacking him. 

On 10/30/2016 at 6:21 AM, stuart.mac said:

All signs are pointing to them getting D2 status,  You say they currently dont meet D2 standards, but who makes those standards? The USSF. They can change their own standards.  You know which league ALSO doesn't meet D2 standards this year?  NASL. 

Currently, USL is divison 3.  Currently, Ottawa Fury are members of Division 2 NASL.  When Fury join the USL next year in 2017, USL will likely be Div 2 according to Fury, some of my sources and a lot of American soccer know-it-alls. So to say Fury are "in" Div 3, or are "dropping" into div 3, or "will be" in Div 3 is complete misinformation that is playing into the narrative you're trying to create.  

Point being part of Fury's plan to move to the USL is that they will get division two status before a ball is kicked. 

Also Dalglish already retained hes on a three year contract and they are not sacking him. 

Your wrong, NASL meets D2 standards for this year.

USSF hasn't even made the final ruling, they don't even know what the decision will be in the end so its in no way a foregone conclusion.

Tell me, what is the USL currently sanctioned as? And how it it "misinformation" to state the fact that they are D3 now and the decision on their application is unknown at this point?

You may believe some of the speculation but its ignorance to claim the facts of the situation are "misinformation". If the Fury was sold a false bill of goods by the USL that's unfortunate. Please, lets deal with the facts here and not be insecure about what the USL is.

18 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Your wrong, NASL meets D2 standards for this year.

USSF hasn't even made the final ruling, they don't even know what the decision will be in the end so its in no way a foregone conclusion.

Tell me, what is the USL currently sanctioned as? And how it it "misinformation" to state the fact that they are D3 now and the decision on their application is unknown at this point?

You may believe some of the speculation but its ignorance to claim the facts of the situation are "misinformation". If the Fury was sold a false bill of goods by the USL that's unfortunate. Please, lets deal with the facts here and not be insecure about what the USL is.

2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015. 2016.  2016 was the NASL's Sixth season, yet they only have teams in two time zones.  (Yes they have San Fran coming for next year) 

But before you say "you are wrong" you may want to actually look up Div 2 standards and see how the NASL in year six did not meet them all.  Just saying- you said I was flat out wrong when I am 100% correct on this, and it matters because it shows the USSF will be lenient with certain standards and give leagues time to grow and adjust.

USSF Regulations for Div 2: 

" Markets; Stadia; and Fields

1. i.     In the first year, U.S.-based teams must be located in at least two different time zones in the continental United States.  By year six, U.S.-based teams must be located in at least three different time zones."

But said I said it is misinformation to say that fury are "dropping into" or "entertain divsiion 3" or anything along those lines because as youve pointed out, the application has yet to be approved, but also because they are applying to USL for 2017, where they will not be division 3.  So to say "Fury FC 2017 in USL Div 3" is misinformation as 1 Fury could be denied entry for USL in 2017, and USL in 2017 is currently under review for division 2.  So it is misinformation. 

Correct on waiver for 3 time zones then, touche.

MLS & USL have also needed waivers in the past it should be noted though.

On 10/30/2016 at 6:21 AM, stuart.mac said:

Currently, USL is divison 3.

Thanks, we're done with that one.

No need to comment on your ramblings on misinformation further though, Its tedious and serves no further purpose.

If USL gains D2 for 2017, which it may or may not, I'll have it changed, if not then it'll remain correct as it is now.

Another story on Carl Haworth from the Ottawa Sun :

Ottawa Fury FC keeping star forward Carl Haworth for 2017 season

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/11/01/ottawa-fury-fc-keeping-star-forward-carl-haworth-for-2017-season

"Forward Carl Haworth, named Ottawa Fury FC’s player of the year on Monday, has agreed to return to the team for the 2017 season — when Fury FC transitions from the NASL to the USL. "

"If USL gains i

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Correct on waiver for 3 time zones then, touche.

MLS & USL have also needed waivers in the past it should be noted though.

Thanks, we're done with that one.

No need to comment on your ramblings on misinformation further though, Its tedious and serves no further purpose.

If USL gains D2 for 2017, which it may or may not, I'll have it changed, if not then it'll remain correct as it is now.

Ahhh so even though Fury may or may not be approve for the USL, you will report that as fact, Fury in USL next year.  But the USL may or may not be division 2, yet your not ready to call that fact and will instead refer to is as Div 3.   See a bit of hypocrisy here, both require votes, so either treat both as fact or treat both as rumours but you cant say for certain Fury will be in Div 3 next year, no one can say that for certain, yet you are in the title.   Misinformation.  Its wrong, or at least not fully correct. 

Fury Focused On 2017

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/11/02/fury-focused-on-2017/

"Retaining Canadian players will be important for Ottawa Fury heading into next year as it is expected that the Canadian Soccer Association will only approve their application to the USL if Fury agree to meet player quotas (six players eligible for CanMNT must start every match). Other Canadian teams in the USL, all of which are MLS2 sides, face the same CSA sanctions. It will be key for Fury to sign a Canadian starting keeper to help meet their quotas, and Marcel De Bellis has certainly earned that spot after spending three seasons with Fury as a back up keeper."

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Dixon's signing is a surprise for me. Thought he wanted to play at a level that was suitable for the national team, and I don't think USL is that level (cue the comment on the level Piette plays).

I think USL is fine if he's doing well. 

2 hours ago, masster said:

Interesting article here from Sandor. Says that since the contracts of the Fury players are registered to the league, they don't carry over automatically to USL. By reading that, I assume that means all of the players on the roster have become free agents and need to be re-signed.
http://the11.ca/fury-rebuilding-its-roster-in-preparation-for-usl-move/

I figured that would be the case, which makes me wonder how they are able to re-sign players for next season, before the CSA approves the move to ULS. They must have received assurances that it will.

Archived