Canada vs. Morocco - Oct. 10, 3PM EST - In Game Thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, michaeltfc91 said:

I don't mind James because at least there is some potential. I am very glad to see Osorio and Aird in the lineup, both strong young MLS caliber players.

The only complaint I have is how in the heck does Samuel Piette have 27 caps already as a 21 year old and he isn't a professional player? I have never seen the guy do anything of value, yet he consistently finds a way on the field every single time Canada plays. The guy can't even run! He is lost out there every single time I don't get how the coaches can't see it. You can't have Bekker or Teibert out there? Or go younger and have Chapman / Froese / Bustos ANYBODY.

Piette is a full professional, check your facts. The rest, about his play, is fair game.

1 minute ago, kungfucious said:

uh... no. if this needs to be taught to somebody on the national team, then we are screwed more than ever

So no, don't have a talk with them and let them keep doing it and we're fucked no matter what? Good attitude bud.

Pretty embarrassing stuff.  I can't think of a player who has impressed or boosted their stock.  

Ricketts once again showing that he is lost against quality opposition.  Bustos has shown pretty well in his limited time... Aird wasn't too bad either I've been tuning in and out though.

Now do the ones slagging Floro understand what the word "shape" means? With shape you stay in games, enjoying the attacking play or most likely not.

Shape, because without it we are Honduras 8-Canada 1, or hadn't you realized?

Thankfully this puts paid to Findlay being our coach, he mistook the word for "coast" it seems to me. 

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Pretty embarrassing stuff.  I can't think of a player who has impressed or boosted their stock.  

Ricketts once again showing that he is lost against quality opposition.  Bustos has shown pretty well in his limited time... Aird wasn't too bad either I've been tuning in and out though.

Aird created a few good opportunities going forward. Has looked pretty poor defensively though 

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

So no, don't have a talk with them and let them keep doing it and we're fucked no matter what? Good attitude bud.

good attitude? im just trying to be realistic! im the biggest pumper there is, but if something like that is STILL needed to be taught at THIS level, then that means the MNT is worse than i (& hopefully others) thought.

Wow! Definitely a big drop in the quality of play without Arfield and with many of the kids in there.  But that is what these games are for I guess, getting them that much needed experience.

Glad to see Aird, Osorio and Bustos given another shot, but of these three only Bustos really looked comfortable.  Hopefully with more quality friendlies and a bit more tactical trial and error the players that deserve regular call ups will make themselves well known.

Without the two PKs and Larin style missed opportunities the scoreline could have been much better but unfortunately that still wouldn't have changed the fact that they played very erratic, could not keep possession of the ball, and we're not very good defensively.

All in all though I didn't feel horrible about the game! 

friendlies are often used to take lessons from. I think we can take the following lessons from this match:

- Piette should only be played as a holding midfielder. Right now his only attribute is his ability to win the ball. They had Straith in that role in this game which meant that Piette played further up the pitch and stifled any attack of ours rather than theirs. He could not find the open man nor did he properly make himself an outlet so as to be the open man. He had a great opportunity to send in a dangerous through ball early in the first half but passed it backwards instead leading to a dangerous rush for Morrocco. Why he was taking our corners and free kicks in the first half was beyond me

- we shouldn't let our heads swell from winning 4-0. There were a lot of stupid mental mistakes and unforced errors by our team especially in defence but not exclusively so, from players who can do far better than that if they are concentrating properly. I am assuming what the cause of the mental errors was but I could be wrong. Either way, the majority of the Morroccan goals were what I would term as unearned (while the 4th was mostly unfortunate but still the result of a mix up in our defence)

- we have to learn to trust each other on the pitch - although maybe that will come with more familiarity between the players who were not used to playing with each other

- I would start Doneil and Vitoria against SK on the basis of the evidence of the past two games

I am amazed. The poor shape hurt me. The lack of effort by some players frustrated me. The poor first touch by every single player killed me. James on the third goal just made me cringe, then sadly laugh. 

Interested in seeing the possession stats. Or maybe I'm not... 

Only caught 10 minutes in the first half. Will watch the replay....

But man...I must say we were really painful to watch. 

I cannot understand for the life of me why Piette would start ahead of Bustos in an advanced role. Seriously, what is the rationale behind that? It is line up choices like that which turn me off from this team. 

36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

- I would start Doneil and Vitoria against SK on the basis of the evidence of the past two games

I think Vitoria is underrated here. He's our most solid CB at this point (which to be fair isn't saying much). Haven't been impressed with Edgar lately with Vancouver or the National team but still thinks he brings more than Henry.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Only caught 10 minutes in the first half. Will watch the replay....

But man...I must say we were really painful to watch. 

I cannot understand for the life of me why Piette would start ahead of Bustos in an advanced role. Seriously, what is the rationale behind that? It is line up choices like that which turn me off from this team. 

At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that piette is a mainstay. I have no idea why (perhaps he has comprising pictures of the Montagliani brothers) but it is what it is.

Nice to see we're still kings of the back pass.  It's just so frustrating.. how many times do you see a Canadian team work the ball into a semi-dangerous position and then instead of trying to play a tough final ball (which is required at this level) the ball finds it's way back to our backline/keeper within a matter of seconds.  

Archived