RUMOUR: Ottawa Fury to leave NASL?

shermanator

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish we had all of the information, because something doesn't add up here...

This Telegraph article says that the fee Ottawa will be paying to enter the USL is rumoured to be around $5 million.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/27/john-pugh-usl-can-make-sure-ottawa-has-a-pro-soccer-team-for-man/

This Ottawa Sun article says that Ottawa expects to save about $200,000 with this move (I assume that is per year).
http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/25/ottawa-fury-fc-confirms-it-will-move-to-new-league

So even ignoring the time value of money, that means Ottawa will have to play 25(!) seasons in the USL just to break even on this switch.

Assuming the $5 million fee is accurate (which I don't), you can kiss the Fury participating in a proposed CPL goodbye. No way they are paying that sort of fee just to jump to another league a few years later. Also, assuming that fee is accurate, Ottawa must have really wanted out of NASL.

Now to the more likely scenario where that $5 million number is bogus...what is Ottawa paying to join the USL? You think the league would give them a cut rate entry price to destabilize a rival league? The Telegraph article quotes Pugh as saying that one of the significant savings will be in league dues. Those numbers sure would be interesting to see. If the league dues were indeed significant, I would think those as well as the difference in travel costs would add up to more than $200,000.

Hope somebody writes a book one day.

30 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

... why not invite USL teams and do a tiered-entry approach?

Because the competition allows for only one entry from one club. Ottawa could enter but other USL teams are not permitted as TFC, Caps and Impact are only allowed one entry in the competition.

10 hours ago, masster said:

I wish we had all of the information, because something doesn't add up here...

This Telegraph article says that the fee Ottawa will be paying to enter the USL is rumoured to be around $5 million.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/27/john-pugh-usl-can-make-sure-ottawa-has-a-pro-soccer-team-for-man/

This Ottawa Sun article says that Ottawa expects to save about $200,000 with this move (I assume that is per year).
http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/10/25/ottawa-fury-fc-confirms-it-will-move-to-new-league

So even ignoring the time value of money, that means Ottawa will have to play 25(!) seasons in the USL just to break even on this switch.

Assuming the $5 million fee is accurate (which I don't), you can kiss the Fury participating in a proposed CPL goodbye. No way they are paying that sort of fee just to jump to another league a few years later. Also, assuming that fee is accurate, Ottawa must have really wanted out of NASL.

Now to the more likely scenario where that $5 million number is bogus...what is Ottawa paying to join the USL? You think the league would give them a cut rate entry price to destabilize a rival league? The Telegraph article quotes Pugh as saying that one of the significant savings will be in league dues. Those numbers sure would be interesting to see. If the league dues were indeed significant, I would think those as well as the difference in travel costs would add up to more than $200,000.

Hope somebody writes a book one day.

I bet the Telegraph is just reporting on the standard entry fee. There's been speculation that the USL is waiving expansion fees for NASL defectors in an effort to kill the league off. It is speculative, but it would fit pretty well, IMO

29 minutes ago, ted said:

Because the competition allows for only one entry from one club. Ottawa could enter but other USL teams are not permitted as TFC, Caps and Impact are only allowed one entry in the competition.

Also, how many WFC2, FCM and TFC II players played in the V's Cup last year? It's not like those players don't have an opportunity to play in it. I know Montreal had Choinière and Whitecaps had Davies, TFC had Johnson and Edwards IIRC. And while the first two are on MLS contracts now, they weren't at the time on MLS contracts.

I agree that the USL reserve teams shouldn't be invited, but all that being said, I'm still dreaming of the Voyageurs Cup being expanded. If they want to go slow, bring in FC London (L1O West champions), Vaughan Azzuri (L1O champs/East champs), and CS Mont-Royal Outremont (PLSQ champs) to fill out the tournament to 8 teams. As an alternative, they could invite the L1O Cup champs instead of FC London. Since Vaughan won the cup as well, Woodbridge Strikers could take their place as the runners up.

58 minutes ago, masster said:
YX9sZysz_normal.jpeg Duane Rollins (@24thminute)
The CSA will not approve the Fury application to move to USL unless the USL waives the 3 year requirement & allows move to CanPL when ready.

Oh man... Welp, anyone else think that Ottawa isn't going to move to USL now? Would USL even want them if its just a 1-2 year stop over (Answer to me is yes, 5 Mil talks), or does Ottawa want to spend 5 Mil for 1-2 years of not-NASL? If numbers were right, then they would be spending 1 Mil MORE than what they've said that they would lose over those 2 years.

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Given John Pugh is on the CSA's Board of Directors I strongly suspect everything was agreed ahead of the franchise announcement.

The CSA has to give some clarity on what the hell is exactly going on. If there is a CPL, announce it. If not, make clear the rules for a pro team to exist in this country. They are treating the Fury, people that are actually risking money on developing pro soccer in Canada, like shit, while they pull down their guaranteed salaries.

Have you guys seen this? It's apparently why fees for NASL might be going up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NASLSoccer/comments/59tozx/nasl_creating_development_league/

What I find interesting is that it is the ASL who helped prop up the CSL after the CSA/OSA decommissioned the league. For someone on the CSA board to be helping to purchase a league that went off and propped up a betting house for the last two years.... no wonder he probably ran away from the table.

On 10/28/2016 at 0:14 PM, Levi Oakey said:

Have you guys seen this? It's apparently why fees for NASL might be going up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NASLSoccer/comments/59tozx/nasl_creating_development_league/

What I find interesting is that it is the ASL who helped prop up the CSL after the CSA/OSA decommissioned the league. For someone on the CSA board to be helping to purchase a league that went off and propped up a betting house for the last two years.... no wonder he probably ran away from the table.

ASL did not help prop up the CSL at all, they were planning a partnership of some sorts but ceased any thoughts of that immediately when they found out the CSL had no CSA sanctioning.

On 10/29/2016 at 9:00 PM, CDNFootballer said:

ASL did not help prop up the CSL at all, they were planning a partnership of some sorts but ceased any thoughts of that immediately when they found out the CSL had no CSA sanctioning.

IIRC the only agreement made was for player loans/temporary exchanges of some sort. Probably had to do with a side betting scheme of some sorts.

10 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

My understanding as that the ASL was going to provide them with Referee's? Or did that not happen. I know one of the players from SC Waterloo told me that was how they would get refs for their games. 

That didn't happen, they didn't get into the specifics much as it was in the early stages but the ASL comissioner Matt Driver in an interview made it clear that when they learned of the sanctioning situation with the CSL they ceased any further idea of a partnership which is a credit to them at least.

Archived