RUMOUR: Ottawa Fury to leave NASL?

shermanator

On 10/13/2016 at 3:27 AM, JamboAl said:

Another scary sign for the NASL were attendances at last night's games.  Carolina did ok with 3,308 but scarily, Jacksonville only had 1,254 and might as well be dead Ft Lauderdale was 418 for the visit of FC Edmonton.  The Fury may be worried that they would have to subsidize a bunch of team's operations next season.

Wouldn't worry too much about the Wednesday game attendances, midweek games don't usually draw and luckily there's not too many of them.

Ft Lauderdale's number is terrible but they do no marketing and the weather was poor as well. They also report tickets sold unlike most pro sports teams, if this was MLS they would have announced 1500.

NASL's had only 2 games in the mid hundreds this year as opposed to Usl that's had many more with the USL league low of 78 fans in attendance for FCM so not as bad when you compare.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I hope NASL manages to pull it together. Without a clear second tier, CMNT players such as deGuzman, Ledgerwood et al have little to no place to return to, if MLS isn't an option for them.

I must say that this season was probably my favourate - being able to follow three clearly defined tiers of pro/reserve soccer. It would be great to see young USL players graduate to the upper two levels - rather than flaming out if they can't hack it with MLS. Sigh...

18 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Didn't Rayo already post its bond? Between that and the interview with the interview with the new director (who stated they wanted to stay in the league as long as certain changes were made), I expected them to be in for 2017 at least

Don't be surprised to see Rayo back in the NASL for 2018. From what I've heard, there is the possibility of relocation for them.

15 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Back to Spain?

Ha. No still in the states. They like the league. Listen to the inverted triangle podcast with their operating officer. His frustration with the local group in OKC is obvious. Think they want a fresh start done right (ie no wasted money on fireworks, not giving away 2-3000 tickets a game etc)

2 hours ago, jedinathan said:

Ha. No still in the states. They like the league. Listen to the inverted triangle podcast with their operating officer. His frustration with the local group in OKC is obvious. Think they want a fresh start done right (ie no wasted money on fireworks, not giving away 2-3000 tickets a game etc)

I'd say his interview was more critical than that. He seemed to be frustrated with the league in general, as well as the local operators. Given the comments about league reform, I expect plan A is to remain in NASL, but want change before committing to the long haul

3 hours ago, jedinathan said:

The cynical way of looking at that is that you never confirm you are going to fold a team when you still have tickets to sell.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The cynical way of looking at that is that you never confirm you are going to fold a team when you still have tickets to sell.

I'm going off stuff I've heard off the record here too. Good odds that Rayo will be back and I've even heard that there's decent chances that the NASL will be around 14 clubs for 2018. Seems pretty high to me, just posting what I've heard (or: I'm not a blind NASL fanboy). If Rayo relaunched, Chicago joined, and 2 more west cost clubs, that's 13 right there. 

Stupid thing about any soccer in US or Canada is that things change so much. Even MLS (see Beckham United in Miami as a recent example). 

That lines up with what Graeme Ivory from the Fury said on TSN 1200 earlier on their 'Corner Kicks' show --- That an announcement on where the Fury would be playing next year would be made this Wednesday.  

He teased it a bit and talked about CBC's trademarking of 'Soccer Night in Canada,' but then also mentioned Tampa Bay maybe playing their last game in NASL as well.  So USL it is, I guess. Just a couple more days before they confirm it.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There has been an interesting sequence of tweets from Indianapolis based on an alleged inside source:

Hope one of the two is Edmonton as they never seem to be mentioned as being part of the core group by NASL tweeters and it would be good to have the 5 minor league Canadian teams all in the same structure.

About that last tweet; five teams doesn't make a stable league.  Don't expect any growth either when potential investors see existing owners fleeing the ship.

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

About that last tweet; five teams doesn't make a stable league.  Don't expect any growth either when potential investors see existing owners fleeing the ship.

Definitely looks like people thinking that denial is a river in Egypt. They need 12 in three timezones for D2 sanctioning and 8 for D3, so they will probably need special waiversof some kind to even continue next season from an organization they were recently threatening to sue over changes to D1 sanctioning rules. Not really hugely bothered what happens to the high budget American teams like the Cosmos and Miami FC that are likely to be left high and dry because USL won't want them, but hopefully FC Edmonton will not be derailed by this mess. A few of us used to argue on here that the CSA were backing the wrong horse in the USL vs NASL thing and so it has proved.

32 minutes ago, Pqhbv said:

So was Sandor's lack of CSA approval tweet real? Did Pugh just force it in hoping for no reprisal from the CSA?

Can OFFC end up going rogue? 

What is happening...

Considering OSEG's strong support for the Fury Women and the OFFC Academy in PLSQ, I don't think they'll mind trying to get to the USL or die trying.

Archived