Victor Montagliani wants to become CONCACAF President

Lou

2 hours ago, Lou said:

The other candidates are:

Larry Musendeen - Bermuda FA President
Gordon Derrick - Antigua FA and CFU President
Mark Rodrigues - A youth soccer club executive based in USA (originally from Grenada)

So if he doesn't win then we get to write about how "Mont Vic couldn't beat a bunch of towrads"?

Getting  the   backing  form  some  Concacaf   members  will  not  be  easy,   especially   the  Carabean    zone  I  think  most  of those    member's    are  still  very  loyal   to  the  Old  regime   even  though   m embers  of  that  old  regime  are  in  deep  trouble  and  may  see  Jail  time. 

With Victor banking the 10 non-Caribbean votes, it'll be interesting to see how the other 31 votes break down. I'd be surprised if the USA-based Grenadan gets any votes. If the other Caribbean candidates split the region's votes somewhat evenly, Vic would only need to pick up a few more votes to get over the line.

I  am  confident   the  Vic  will  get   the  votes  form  Mexico,  The  U.S.   and  the  rest  of   Central   America.  But  the  Key  is  trying  to  get  the  Caribbean   Nations   on  his  side   Especially   nations  Like  Jamaica,   and  Trinidad .  Who  are  the  major  Power  Brokers  in  that  Region.

The 10 non CFU votes are very key.  

The CFU are very well aware that a lot of then vote buying has come from their area.  Part of the corruption happens when you give tiny countries  with very little wealth 3x  as much power from a voting perspective  compared to the power and money of the federation.  Suddenly as they vote in a block that power becomes a magnet for vote buying.

They also know that their voting block is tenuous at best.  Without the financial support of the US their programs will not have any funding. They won't go against the US on this.

If he presides the region then he'll spend less time dealing with specifically Canadian problems, don't you think? I mean, it may even be considered a conflict of interest if the CSA president defends Canadian equality in MLS or pushes for a Canadian league that could challenge US-based structures. 

Because otherwise, if you are arguing him being Concacaf president will benefit Canada on a sporting level or for getting international tournaments, you are basically saying he will be perpetuating the old corrupt system whereby power broking reaps benefits for your specific personal or national interests rather than the general good. 

Imagine a scenario where, maybe, Concacaf reffing will be better for us; however good at first sight that may be, it would also demonstrate that the system is as biased as ever, only then in our favour instead of against us.

There are hundreds of reasons why Canada doesn't have a national football league. Placing the blame on Victor Montagliani for that, especially by someone who's been around as long as you have, is quite poor. By all accounts, the CSA has been on the right track since Vic became President, with enormous progress both on and off the pitch.

There are no credible reports that he's been involved in the types of corruption that have plagued CONCACAF since the beginning of time. Having him as President would be a positive for Canada merely by removing the kind of crap that we've been on the wrong end of for too long. I don't believe that you're daft enough to think that creating a fair and level playing field, something that has been lacking for so long in CONCACAF, could be construed as a mark against Canada or Victor Montagliani. It makes me wonder if there's some other motivation for your unfairly disparaging comments. 

• 1 month later...

Rodrigues didn't get enough votes to qualify.

Rodrigues believes that the favourite for the new presidency is Montagliani who “NAFU, UNCAF (the north and central American sub regions) and specific CFU supporters have quietly and efficiently put in a position to be the next President”.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2016/03/17/rodrigues-exits-concacaf-race-issues-warning-caribbean/

Hope he gets the job, if only because some of  his actions at the CSA level have appeared to me to be political moves rather than an attempt to genuinely push things forward. Some of the points he is raising actually make more sense on a concerted CONCACAF sort of level, so his talents might be better suited to the confederation level. For example, small Carribean islands will never have strong standalone professional leagues, but collectively they might be able to make it work like they do in cricket, if people think outside the box in narrow national association terms as Canada has traditionally done.

Archived