TFC2 2016 Discussion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a chance to see the TFCII play in Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium.  Amazing.  Edwards was causing the Cincy fans to yell, "keep the ball away from 48!"  Edwards is a great player.  His speed was outstanding.  His work rate was outstanding.  His post game attitude sucked.  Kicking water bottles and the cord of the camera on the field for a post game interview?  Really!? Take a breath and look around.  One of the richest guys in Cincinnati has attempted to put together a winning team in its first year.  There are a bunch of players with MLS experience.  It really felt like Men vs Boys.

It was really interesting to listen to fans who might not be fully educated in world soccer.  "Why are their numbers so high?" One criticism my wife and I had was the questioning of every ... every single whistle.  Whether the call was legit of not, the fans (many of whom I assume have never played) yelled at every call.  It got annoying and sets a poor example for the kids.  The players on the field didn't help that.

I was hoping to see local kid (I'm old enough to call him a kid ;) ) Nick Hagglund. Too bad he was needed by the top team.  The chance for him to play at a historic stadium like Nippert would have, I imagine, met a lot.  Skylar Thomas was a giant in the D covering Okoli, who didn't look completely healthy compared to the game vs FC Montreal.

Really happy with the experience.  Really happy to see the TFCII players get a chance to experience the big crowd, the slower yet smarter, older opponents.  A chance for them to show off some skills if things don't work out with TFC, there maybe opportunities with other USL teams.

TFC2 got smoked by Wilmington 3-0 with a fairly thin roster today and again find themselves near the bottom of the USL standings. Their roster is probably about a similar average age to VWFC2 but they are nowhere near the quality. At the end of the year they need to make a decision on the 'senior' guys like Mannella, Taintor, Bernal, Thomas and Charpie. Either they are ready to compete for senior minutes or they should leave and Toronto should be looking to sign some better veterans to give the team a better spine like Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived