TFC2 2016 Discussion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good battling win against Rochester at home to break a three game losing streak. Game was played at a very strange mid-day time, but the team had apparently done package sales to field-tripping school kids so the stadium was quite full. Sal Bernal, who has really improved this year, scored the goal on a nice solo effort towards the end of the game. Jobe, Edwards and Hagglund all played very well. Both teams had to scramble balls off the line but it was not a game of many chances despite being generally well played.

10 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

my take on the May 11th game vs Richmond at:  http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports16/16tfc272.htm

Minor correction Robin - otherwise your game summaries of course are always fascinating and very thorough.

" two a week league games and Amway Cup fixtures coming soon."

There is no such thing as the "Amway Cup". Either "Voyageurs Cup" or "Amway Canadian Championship".

11 hours ago, Saviola7 said:

Minor correction Robin - otherwise your game summaries of course are always fascinating and very thorough.

" two a week league games and Amway Cup fixtures coming soon."

There is no such thing as the "Amway Cup". Either "Voyageurs Cup" or "Amway Canadian Championship".

Yeah I should stick to Voyageurs Cup---I helped pay for that trophy years ago. 

2-0 loss to Charleston, in Charleston, where the Battery never lose in any case. Thomas, Hamilton and Edwards were away in Guyana with the U-23 and there were no TFC senior loanees. TFC2 had moments where they really moved the ball well, especially between the tidy-looking central midfield three of Daniels, Bouchard and Fraser. However, Hundal, Johnson and Bernal up front never generated any really serious threats. Anthony Osorio struggled at left back, letting Impact-loanee Romario Williams make far-post runs all game, including for the first goal.

TFC II Started 4 Canadian players under 18; Malik Johnson(M 18), Robert Boskovic(CB 17), Liam Fraser(M 18) and Shaan Hundal(F 16-17??). Also in the starting lineup were 3 Canadian Veterans(Development League) Anthony Osorio, Q and Captain Chris Manella. The team looked like the better team during most of the game but had some poor defensive breakdowns in the 2-1 loss.

TFC II were missing two of their better players Skylar Thomas and leading goal scorer Raheem Edwards. This team is not quite as good as VWC2, but have shown they can be competitive.

Malik Johnson with his second of the year:

The game would have been alot different if Hundal's goal would have stood and TFC2 had a early lead.  That was a blown call.  Not alot of punch in the offense last night although they looked good on the right flank. 

Manella does not look like a guy that was up with the big team!  And are we sure its Fraser signing with Liverpool??  If true thats a bit of a stunner!  The comments about "Luca" Brasi were pretty funny.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Manella does not look like a guy that was up with the big team!  And are we sure its Fraser signing with Liverpool??  If true thats a bit of a stunner!  The comments about "Luca" Brasi were pretty funny.  

Manella was poor this game but has been very consistent throughout this USL season. He made the bad pass that resulted in one of the goals against for this game.

I was kind of expecting Manella to shine out there, if he wants to be on the big team he should be dominating at TFC2 eh?  Consistant and steady sure, but its others (Edwards, Johnson, Charpie, Thomas) that stand out above the rest.  Even Hagglund when he came down looked pretty good.  These guys need to step it up if they want to make the jump, make the manager HAVE to call  you back up.   

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I was kind of expecting Manella to shine out there, if he wants to be on the big team he should be dominating at TFC2 eh?  Consistant and steady sure, but its others (Edwards, Johnson, Charpie, Thomas) that stand out above the rest.  Even Hagglund when he came down looked pretty good.  These guys need to step it up if they want to make the jump, make the manager HAVE to call  you back up.   

With Bradley now gone and depending how things go with Cheyrou in full training, there might be a role for him in the senior squad, especially with Vees Cup.

Manella needs to step it up, he has never really impressed me, watched him a few times last year too with Pan Am team and the U23 Olympic qualifying team and he did not impress with either team. I'm getting the feeling he will go the way of the many ex TFC Canadian kids who had promise and now are out of the game unless he starts to impress. One thing having a second team like TFC2 does  is that a player can either excel playing against some seasoned professionals in the USL like we are seeing from Edwards and and a kid like Malik Johnson or just mainly stagnate like unfortunately we are seeing from Manella. It just shows that many players once they reach a pro level even like the USL just can't get any better, hopefully that is not the case with Manella but so far he is showing no signs that he can even cut it at this level never mind  MLS. However, after stating all that I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be a mainstay in the TFC midfield and the Canadian national midfield one day, but he needs to step it up before it's too late.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived