TFC2 2016 Discussion

From TFC2's site:

With the season fast approaching, stay up to date with the roster moves made by the club going into the 2016 season.

December 9 – TFC II exercise contract options on Adam Bouchard, Wesley Charpie, Skylar Thomas, Sal Bernal, Raheem Edwards, and Molham Babouli.

December 9 – TFC II decline options on Daniel Fabrizi, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Emeka Ononye, Edwin Rivas, and Massimo Mirabelli.

December 9 – Ben Spencer returns to Molde FK following the expiry of his loan.

December 9  TFC II sign Anthony Osorio to a USL contract.

January 5  TFC II sign Malik Johnson to a USL contract.

TFC II’s 2016 roster as it currently stands:

Defenders: Adam Bouchard, Wesley Charpie, Skylar Thomas

Midfielders: Sal Bernal, Raheem Edwards, Luca Uccello, Bubacarr Jobe, Anthony Osorio, Malik Johnson

Forwards: Mo Babouli

On Loan from Toronto FC

Goalkeepers
: Alex Bono, Quillan Roberts

Defenders: Clément Simonin 

Midfielders: Chris Mannella, Jay Chapman

Forwards: Jordan Hamilton

On Loan from the Kia Toronto FC Academy 

Goalkeepers: Fillip Di Bennardo, Brogan Engbers

Defenders: Marcus Godinho, Klaidi Cela, Andrew Dias, Nikola Stakic, Steven Furlano, Gabriel Boakye, Robert Boskovic

Midfielders: Martin Davis, Nicholas Osorio, Liam Fraser

Forwards: Reshon Phillip, Richie Ennin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Alex Bono looked better although still a bit shaky when it came to handling the ball and overall poor distribution, several solid positional saves though.

Anthony Osorio was shredded multiple times by Etienne on the left side. He also fouled Etienne leading to a penalty which was eventually converted

Taintor and Thomas were solid as a CB pairing.

Bloom looked fantastic and ready to go again in MLS.

Mannella was absolute crap, worst player on the field in my opinion, constant turnovers, poor passing, poor defending, just a mess.

James and the other CM whose name I forget and who doesn't seem to be on the website roster played well.

The front 3 of Bernal, Babouli and Edwards were very strong individually although tended to get disconnected from each other leading to a lot of individual efforts, most of which were easily taken away although all three players had some fantastic runs. The first goal was a thing of beauty, https://youtu.be/x17s_aEP-xs?t=42m34s

Ultimately a great start to the season

Nice result against one of the better 2015 teams. Edwards is certainly headed towards a senior team contract, I'm surprised he was not with the U-20's in the U.K. The CM might have been Brian James, the draftee they just signed, or Aidian Daneils, the academy guy they loaned up for this game with all the absences.

• 2 weeks later...

4 points out of 6 to start the season after winning 2-1 in Montreal, not too shabby. They are still operating like last year with a lot of academy call-ups and always using all of the subs that hurt the flow of their game, but it's worked so far. We'll see if they can play as well against the independent clubs.

The difference from last year seems to be that the core of the team is a lot more settled. Thomas and Taintor have locked down the center of defence along with Bono and players like Bouchard (moved up to CM), Bernal and Edwards have really improved from last year. I think Edwards is a lock for a senior contract especially with how weak the wing positions are on the first team.

Two of the best goals in TFC2 history tonight as well:

https://streamable.com/hlwe

https://streamable.com/lldj

3 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

4 points out of 6 to start the season after winning 2-1 in Montreal, not too shabby. They are still operating like last year with a lot of academy call-ups and always using all of the subs that hurt the flow of their game, but it's worked so far. We'll see if they can play as well against the independent clubs.

The difference from last year seems to be that the core of the team is a lot more settled. Thomas and Taintor have locked down the center of defence along with Bono and players like Bouchard (moved up to CM), Bernal and Edwards have really improved from last year. I think Edwards is a lock for a senior contract especially with how weak the wing positions are on the first team.

Two of the best goals in TFC2 history tonight as well:

https://streamable.com/hlwe

https://streamable.com/lldj

Did you watch the game? I was there and I wouldn't be that hyped up on TFC2 from what I saw. TFC2 did not really play very well except for those two exceptional individual plays that they scored on. It was not a very well played game overall, both teams seemed to not play many MLS team players and it had a youth team flavour as opposed to the last Impact game against Bethleham. 1st half was fairly even but the Impact really dominated the 2nd half but poor finishing did them in. The Impact basically lost the individual impressive goal contest 2-1. If Johnson, Edwards and Tabla can produce feats like this for the national team in the near future then our goal scoring woes may be over. Still the overall play was disappointing despite those 3 impressive goals. 

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I did watch from about 35' on. I agree that neither team played that well but last year's TFC2 would have given up a lot more chances and probably goals. Like I mentioned, we'll see how they do against some of the better teams in the league going forward.

They did give up a lot of chances though. FCM just did not finish them. FCM's big problem this year so far is Riggi is injured and we don't have anyone else who can replace him. I have been impressed by Salazar in preseason with the first team and in the first FCM game but he did not have a great game yesterday.

2-2 final in the home opener against Pittsburgh (once again featuring a Toronto guy: Jordan Murrell). Bono screwed up on a dangerous free kick in extra time to let in the equalizer but then made a very nice save as both teams had great chances to win it at the death. Hagglund scored on a header and Edwards converted a penalty he drew for Toronto. Caught a fair bit of the game: the OSC was sold out with a great supporter section and TFC2 controlled a lot of the game, building very well through Bouchard and Edwards. 

Looking forward to Rocket Robin's report on the new OSC experience.

On 16/04/2016 at 7:51 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

TFC has too many center backs on their roster in general. Skylar Thomas is on a senior contract as is SImonin. When are those two going to ever see senior minutes?

Skylar is on a TFCII contract,  but to your point... Somebody's gotta go

22 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Skylar is on a TFCII contract,  but to your point... Somebody's gotta go

why bother, TFC is at 27 roster spots and capped out, best you'd get is a like for like replacement in terms of salary/playing quality, not worth too much at the moment.

I only saw the first 70. Bono is still too indecisive in the box. Offensively we're going to cause a lot of problems with the insane speed but there definitely needs to be more link up between the forward 3. Otherwise it was a very positive, dominating performance for the most part. Their first goal was an impressive individual effort by Parkes even with the give and go. Far more enjoyable to watch than last season

On 1/8/2016 at 6:47 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

You have to think that Toronto will try to get Adonijah Reid in the fold for this year

Reid has had a number of extended training stints in France over the past couple of years and will likely sign when he turns 18 next year.

40 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Reid has had a number of extended training stints in France over the past couple of years and will likely sign when he turns 18 next year.

Interesting. Got a source on that? I know he had a trial with OGC Nice last year. Where else was he trialing?

17 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Interesting. Got a source on that? I know he had a trial with OGC Nice last year. Where else was he trialing?

I'm on the ANB Futbol mailing list. He was at Marseille two years ago as well. This article says he was also at Lyon and went to Italy and Spain:

http://www.yorkregion.com/sports-story/5831938-adonijah-reid-lighting-it-up-for-anb-futbol/

Pretty sure i read that Nice want him back to train with them, but don't have a link - i think it was an ANB email...

Archived