2015 VCup Final Second Leg - Vancouver vs. Montreal - August 26 [R]

7:00 PM PDT / 10:00 PM EDT

Live on Sportsnet One and Sportsnet World

Aggregate score at kickoff: 2-2, Vancouver leads on away goals 2-0

Does not look like it is on Sportsnet World Streaming. That is disappointing. Seems to be missing many games they suggest will be available. Might have to not renew and go back to my old way of watching Football.

So... no Drogba, no Piatti, right?

That's affirmative. Both are out with minor injuries and seems like Drogba doesn't like to play on artificial turf or a case of the medical team not wanting him to further aggravate his condition.

I contemplated making the drive from Edmonton but it's still quite far and without those two players on the pitch I believe a 3-peat is unattainable. The Whitecaps may very well win their first Voyageurs Cup.

Prediction 2-1 VW

Terrible Cnd reffing.   Was that second yellow really necessary?  he stuck his leg out, thats it.  He didnt slide tackle, he didnt come in with studs up, he didnt come in from behind, etc.   The ref just distroyed the game after about 10 minutes from the start for that sending off.  There was no drama left from that point onwards. No hint of a come back and game was over from that point.  Nothing for the neutral to sustain interest.  

of course, it doesnt help when Mtl sits its key players.

The first one was iffy and hardly a foul IMHO but I think it was the persistent fouling that clouded the ref's judgement on it. The second was a foul but perhaps not a card. Not that it takes a lot to cloud Petrescue's mind as he's hardly a good example of officiating excellence.

Jackson-Hammel scares me. Every time he comes on against us he makes a big difference. If he had buried that one we'd have been in a world of trouble. He has all the tools and seems to have the soccer smarts to find ways to get open in the box. He's one to watch for the future both Impact and CMNT.

The second yellow against Cabrera had to be given. The first was the weak one.

I'd argue the second shouldn't have been given, given how weak the first one was.  Didn't think he deserved to be sent off.  Two clumsy tackles, but hardly reckless and worthy of a red overall.  Wish refs would let a little more go in MLS.  I was under the impression the BPL was the standard we were after.

Petrescu is a horrible ref and from what I have seen really hates Montreal. It is not the first Voyageurs Cup he has cost us. I can't recall one MLS game he has reffed for us that he hasn't screwed us either. As soon as I saw he was the ref I knew we were finished. There have just been too many incidences with him for it to be just incompetence. I don't see how the CSA can assign a ref like that with such a history with one of the teams. It delegitimizes the tournament. Vancouver is probably the best team in Canada currently and may well have won without Petrescu but it is frustrating to lose in that manner, 12 men against 10. Petrescu has apparently already been suspended by the league once this year for poor performance. 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/2015/03/12/report-referee-silviu-petrescu-suspended-for-missed-calls-against-rapids/26840/

Petrescu is a horrible ref and from what I have seen really hates Montreal. It is not the first Voyageurs Cup he has cost us. I can't recall one MLS game he has reffed for us that he hasn't screwed us either. As soon as I saw he was the ref I knew we were finished. There have just been too many incidences with him for it to be just incompetence. I don't see how the CSA can assign a ref like that with such a history with one of the teams. It delegitimizes the tournament. Vancouver is probably the best team in Canada currently and may well have won without Petrescu but it is frustrating to lose in that manner, 12 men against 10. Petrescu has apparently already been suspended by the league once this year for poor performance. 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/2015/03/12/report-referee-silviu-petrescu-suspended-for-missed-calls-against-rapids/26840/

It's not just Montreal, he hates Vancouver too.  In fact, I think he hates all football teams equally.  Out here we cringe every time he takes the field for an MLS game because we know we're about to get shafted.  He's even worse than Mark Geiger.

As for the two yellow cards ... the first was very weak, the second was nailed on (deliberate/tactical).  However, both were irrelevant because the guy should have been off anyway with a penalty given for the last man challenge from behind at around the ten minute mark.  But that's Petrescu for you, misses the big calls and then tries to make up for it by changing the little calls into big ones.

Archived