Charlie Trafford

Fussball_eh

Hey y'all.

I recently learned that he has a Polish passport and I have a solid source telling me that if he doesn't get a call up from CSA soon, that he will consider playing for Poland instead. He might make a move to play in the Polish league soon too.

We should make some noise to have him cap-tied, he is a good player!

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by Fussball_eh

Poland doesn't have a single player from their national league on their last roster. I highly doubt there going to immediately cap tie some guy who just transferred in from the Finnish league. Still like to see Trafford get a look though and nice to head he may move to a bigger league.

I recently learned that he has a Polish passport and I have a solid source telling me that if he doesn't get a call up from CSA soon, that he will consider playing for Poland instead. He might make a move to play in the Polish league soon too.

Poland is no cake walk, so I doubt this will happen unless he has some drastic transfer to a bigger club. 

However, I am advocate for him getting a call up due to his recent performances at KuPS. He deserves it, but like King said since Floro hasn't even spoke to a player like Occean, I doubt Floro even knows who Charlie is.

He probably doesn't even have a Polish passport and he is positioning for a call up.  He's right though.. if we were under any pressure to cap tie him he would have been called already and that's a shame.  

He definitely has a Polish passport, through his mother who was born in Poland. He also trialed at a Polish club a year or two ago.

I'm biased but I would like to see him in a camp as well. 

And I have a solid source that says Boakai wants to play for Guinea if he doesn't get a call up to the senior team soon.

Does anyone believe me? If so, why are we believing an unnamed second hand source? Apologies to the OP, I really appreciate the work you do in tracking Canadians abroad, but this thread reeks of a desperate fan base that has seen both big name players like de Guzman and Begovic, and small name players like Welshman and Cavallini spurn the national team in favour of better international teams, or just international play in general. I'm going to wait until I hear someone willing to attach their name to this talk before believing it.

Now if it does turn out to be true, I don't think this really affects the national team to be honest. Trafford is a solid depth piece, but realistically he's not worthy of a call up to a full strength national team at the moment. I think he is absolutely worthy of a call up for a "camp poutine", but not much more. In the midfield he's behind Hutchinson, Johnson, Teibert, Osorio, Tissot at minimum, and could be surpassed by Petrasso, Carreiro, Froese and Bustos in the next couple years.

And I have a solid source that says Boakai wants to play for Guinea if he doesn't get a call up to the senior team soon.

Does anyone believe me? If so, why are we believing an unnamed second hand source? Apologies to the OP, I really appreciate the work you do in tracking Canadians abroad, but this thread reeks of a desperate fan base that has seen both big name players like de Guzman and Begovic, and small name players like Welshman and Cavallini spurn the national team in favour of better international teams, or just international play in general. I'm going to wait until I hear someone willing to attach their name to this talk before believing it.

Now if it does turn out to be true, I don't think this really affects the national team to be honest. Trafford is a solid depth piece, but realistically he's not worthy of a call up to a full strength national team at the moment. I think he is absolutely worthy of a call up for a "camp poutine", but not much more. In the midfield he's behind Hutchinson, Johnson, Teibert, Osorio, Tissot at minimum, and could be surpassed by Petrasso, Carreiro, Froese and Bustos in the next couple years.

I agree, but there seems to be a precedence of players either being left out or at the very lest feeling left out. Floro seems to be doing a good job of bringing in some different players from different leagues but at the same time totally ostracizing others. Players develop at different rates and I wish we had the resources to hold more camps, play more games and keep more guys in the fold.

I would take Trafford over Bekker any day. I've never seen Trafford play, but I've seen enough of Bekker to know he has no business on any national team anywhere.

I agree, but there seems to be a precedence of players either being left out or at the very lest feeling left out. Floro seems to be doing a good job of bringing in some different players from different leagues but at the same time totally ostracizing others. Players develop at different rates and I wish we had the resources to hold more camps, play more games and keep more guys in the fold.

They can only call up so many players.  Some guys may feel left out.  Most players who have made their way to be professionals are very confident in their ability, and often feel that they could play at that mythical higher level if they only had a chance.  The reality is that most of them couldn't.  If you went to a CFL locker room and asked players, most of them will tell you that they should be in the NFL except for one reason or another.  They got injured before a big tryout, they had a bad agent,  their college coach didn't play them enough in their senior year, etc.  Very few will tell you that, "Yeah, I'm probably not good enough to make the NFL."  But that's probably true for most of them.  It might not be fair but that's how it goes.  

Really, I don't know what the upside is for Trafford, but I can't imagine he would be close to being on a starting 11 for WCQ.  I get why people get excited about guys who could potentially play and make a difference (Begovic, Hoilett for example).  But for a guy who would likely be a role player at best, I don't see the reason to worry too much.  How many players with a similar pedigree have become huge contributors to the MNT recently?  

Jason

Really, I don't know what the upside is for Trafford, but I can't imagine he would be close to being on a starting 11 for WCQ.  I get why people get excited about guys who could potentially play and make a difference (Begovic, Hoilett for example).  But for a guy who would likely be a role player at best, I don't see the reason to worry too much.  How many players with a similar pedigree have become huge contributors to the MNT recently?

Tosaint Ricketts is the only guy that I can compare him to in terms of pedigree when he started to play for the nats.

They can only call up so many players.  Some guys may feel left out.  Most players who have made their way to be professionals are very confident in their ability, and often feel that they could play at that mythical higher level if they only had a chance.  The reality is that most of them couldn't.  If you went to a CFL locker room and asked players, most of them will tell you that they should be in the NFL except for one reason or another.  They got injured before a big tryout, they had a bad agent,  their college coach didn't play them enough in their senior year, etc.  Very few will tell you that, "Yeah, I'm probably not good enough to make the NFL."  But that's probably true for most of them.  It might not be fair but that's how it goes.  

Jason

We don't know how Charlie Trafford will develop, he could be very useful a year or two, or he could selling car stereos at Future Shop. The point is trying to keep the guys in the loop. If you look at who has been called up over the last couple years ago and who hasn't there's likely room in one of those camps for a guy like Trafford or Boakai or Drew Beckie. I bet Floro has never talked to Traffird, he hasn't bothered to call Occean so why would he call Trafford. Floro should be talking to these guys, explaining himself and setting expectations for them. I'd like more inclusion not less.

I agree that Floro should be in contact with those players who could make a contribution to the national team, but we're all jumping to conclusions here.

Outside of Occean stating that Floro hasn't been in contact with him, we really don't have any idea of who Floro has been in contact with recently. A lot of people throwing him under the bus for something that we have absolutely no insight into.

I agree that Floro should be in contact with those players who could make a contribution to the national team, but we're all jumping to conclusions here.

Outside of Occean stating that Floro hasn't been in contact with him, we really don't have any idea of who Floro has been in contact with recently. A lot of people throwing him under the bus for something that we have absolutely no insight into.

Exactly. And it is not that surprising he has not been in contact with Occean either. Even ignoring the suspension, Occean did not play for a game for a full year from last April to this April. He has only started playing again for about 4 months. Now that he is playing well at a decent level one would hope there would be contact soon but it is not surprising there was no contact with a guy serving an international suspension who did not play at all for one year and who hasn't been a regular starter since the 2011/2012 season.

Exactly. And it is not that surprising he has not been in contact with Occean either. Even ignoring the suspension, Occean did not play for a game for a full year from last April to this April. He has only started playing again for about 4 months. Now that he is playing well at a decent level one would hope there would be contact soon but it is not surprising there was no contact with a guy serving an international suspension who did not play at all for one year and who hasn't been a regular starter since the 2011/2012 season.

Really? Not even a 5 minute phone call to introduce himself?

Really? Not even a 5 minute phone call to introduce himself?

Is this standard practice for new NT head coach around the world - call every possible player that could be in your pool?  I agree it would be a nice touch at some level, but these are professional level coaches and players.  How much coddling do they need?

Jason

We don't know how Charlie Trafford will develop, he could be very useful a year or two, or he could selling car stereos at Future Shop. The point is trying to keep the guys in the loop. If you look at who has been called up over the last couple years ago and who hasn't there's likely room in one of those camps for a guy like Trafford or Boakai or Drew Beckie. I bet Floro has never talked to Traffird, he hasn't bothered to call Occean so why would he call Trafford. Floro should be talking to these guys, explaining himself and setting expectations for them. I'd like more inclusion not less.

I don't want to sound harsh, but really should a NT head coach be calling up his fringe players and explaining himself?  If they play well, they should draw his attention and a phone call.  We have a small player pool and I agree we should be as inclusive as possible but Floro and the players are professionals and should know what to expect.

Jason

Is this standard practice for new NT head coach around the world - call every possible player that could be in your pool? I agree it would be a nice touch at some level, but these are professional level coaches and players. How much coddling do they need?

Jason

Not every possible player. But it would be nice to have some sort of diologue with in form players like occean who have been impressing for almost half a year. Doesnt sound reassuring when just last week we hear occean hadnt ever been contacted by floro.

Hopefully thats just an anomoly. And hopefully he has been contacted since then.

Is this standard practice for new NT head coach around the world - call every possible player that could be in your pool? I agree it would be a nice touch at some level, but these are professional level coaches and players. How much coddling do they need?

Jason

Probably not standard practice but we've probably got one of the smallest player pools of any national team, maybe 40-50 players? Having Floro or one his staff is not to much to ask. Especially from a program that has been accused of leaving players out of the loop in the past. Besides, choosing a NT is not about choosing the best possible team it's about choosing the best possible players, peaking at the best possible moment. CT has scored 8 goals and has 35 appearances in the last year, seems to me he should be in the loop but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Not every possible player. But it would be nice to have some sort of diologue with in form players like occean who have been impressing for almost half a year. Doesnt sound reassuring when just last week we hear occean hadnt ever been contacted by floro.

Hopefully thats just an anomoly. And hopefully he has been contacted since then.

Ok we are getting a lot of creative history here. Occean last played for us in 2012 which was also the last year he was playing regularly and scoring. In the 3 years since that he has had 2 season with limited playing time and limited number of goals and a full year in which he did not play at all and may have possibly been close to a career end. His first game back after this full year of not playing was April 7th, slightly more than 4 months ago. His first goal was May 10 and his first 90 minute game was May 13th, 3 months ago. He did not score in his following 3 games after his first goal and scored his second on May 29th after which he has been scoring regularly. So basically he has been playing well since the start of June, 2 and a half months ago after 3 years of barely playing including one of not playing at all not to mention serving an international suspension. Our striker pool is pretty shallow and low in quality so I fully agree Floro should get in contact with him but I don't think it is surprising that he has not been in contact with a player who has only started playing well 2 and a half months ago.

Probably not standard practice but we've probably got one of the smallest player pools of any national team, maybe 40-50 players? Having Floro or one his staff is not to much to ask. Especially from a program that has been accused of leaving players out of the loop in the past. Besides, choosing a NT is not about choosing the best possible team it's about choosing the best possible players, peaking at the best possible moment. CT has scored 8 goals and has 35 appearances in the last year, seems to me he should be in the loop but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I generally agree with this, but we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes.  Hopefully an opportunity comes up and we get a chance to evaluate him at some point soon.  

Jason

• 1 month later...