Pick Six (Early hex predictions)

madmonte

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, with Panama challenging for the 4th spot. Every other team is a pretender with Jamaica head of the 2nd tier.

That's pretty much how I see it. If we're going to make it to the Hex, I think our best chance is to end up in a group with Jamaica (rather than Honduras or Panama). Trinidad, Guatemala and Cuba are often difficult matches but we should be able to cope with them (I didn't know about the El Salvador match fixing thing, until the post above).

Soccerpro's assesment is pretty reasonable - although I think we'll see more of a split between MEX/USA/CR and the next three - HON/PAN/JAM

It's early days and I think many expect CR to fade with time, but i'm not so sure they will. For the first time (since I have been following), they have a core of players in some real good club environments. Off the top of my head they have guys at - Fulham, Villaareal, West Brom, Everton, Palmero, Mainz, Deportivo (actually Borges has return from loan to AIK I think), Club Brugges, Real Madrid, AZ Alkmaar, Evian (two players there).

Just let that sink in for a second.....then add the MLS contigent: Saborio, Watson, Arrieta, Wallace, Miller, Frances. I am sure I am missing a few more.

Not all those European guys are starters, but all of them are seeing first team action in some form and aren't permenently glued to the bench. Factor in the top guys at Saprissa, Herediano and Aljuenses (too lazy to spell check that one), and you have a pool of players closer to USA and Mexico than Panama, Honduras, etc.

I think they're here to stay folks...

Soccerpro's assesment is pretty reasonable - although I think we'll see more of a split between MEX/USA/CR and the next three - HON/PAN/JAM

It's early days and I think many expect CR to fade with time, but i'm not so sure they will. For the first time (since I have been following), they have a core of players in some real good club environments. Off the top of my head they have guys at - Fulham, Villaareal, West Brom, Everton, Palmero, Mainz, Deportivo (actually Borges has return from loan to AIK I think), Club Brugges, Real Madrid, AZ Alkmaar, Evian (two players there).

Just let that sink in for a second.....then add the MLS contigent: Saborio, Watson, Arrieta, Wallace, Miller, Frances. I am sure I am missing a few more.

Not all those European guys are starters, but all of them are seeing first team action in some form and aren't permenently glued to the bench. Factor in the top guys at Saprissa, Herediano and Aljuenses (too lazy to spell check that one), and you have a pool of players closer to USA and Mexico than Panama, Honduras, etc.

I think they're here to stay folks...

Echo that.

Should be interesting go around though.  There's that "B" layer of teams, true, but sometimes they can be fun to watch.  One of them always seems to get on a roll (somewhere) and upsets the whole order of things.  Hope its our turn this time around.

My dark horse is Curacao. Patrick Kluivert is managing them and he's collecting a squad of Eredivisie players

they barely got past Montserrat! Won 2-1 and tied 2-2 on a last minute goal. I doubt it's because Montserrat suddenly got good.

Take another look at who Montserrat actually had at their disposal.  It was a team of ringers from England with a few guys in Scotland and Cyprus.  Lower league and part timers but not beer league no hopers from the island.

As for Curacao, I remember reading that Kluivert is working on getting several other highly regarded players into the fold including Marvin Emnes of Swansea and Vurnon Anita of Newcastle.

Take another look at who Montserrat actually had at their disposal.  It was a team of ringers from England with a few guys in Scotland and Cyprus.  Lower league and part timers but not beer league no hopers from the island.

As for Curacao, I remember reading that Kluivert is working on getting several other highly regarded players into the fold including Marvin Emnes of Swansea and Vurnon Anita of Newcastle.

Most of the guys on Montserrat where playing at no-name clubs. You'd still expect that a team like Curaçao to beat them easily.

Oh and Kluivert is looking to bring players X, Y. Tell me when those players have made their one-time switch to Curaçao. Until then, who cares? It's like Arfield playing for us.

Archived