FIFA Presidential Election

masster

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here. This sounds interesting and airs tonight at 4:00 ET on ESPN2: 

Hopefully TSN rebroadcasts it sometime soon.

Yes. Looks really good. Read a lot about it from Anericans on twitter. If you find out when TSN will be broadcasting it, please post here.

No campaigning in the United States apparently.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter avoiding US travel, says ESPN documentary

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Fifa’s president, Sepp Blatter, has refused to set foot in the US for almost four years due to a continuing investigation by the FBI, according to a major new ESPN documentary.
The E60 programme, aired on Tuesday evening in the US, claimed that Blatter was reluctant to travel to the States due to an FBI investigation into the controversial process that led to the award of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals.

Full Story>>

Hello, I'm new here. This sounds interesting and airs tonight at 4:00 ET on ESPN2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPFwoSlJYbk&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully TSN rebroadcasts it sometime soon.

Grant Wahl tweeted out links to the documentary broken down into 5 parts:

Part 1 - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12880429

Part 2 - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12880456

Part 3 - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12880462

Part 4 - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12880471

Part 5 - http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12880475

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/2468193/fifa-officials-arrested-over-corruption-charges

"Officials initially arrested included vice presidents Jeffrey Webb and Eugenio Figueredo, former executive committee member Jack Warner and Costa Rica federation president Eduardo Li. A total of 14 people -- nine football officials and five sports-marketing executives -- are named in the indictment and face charges of wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering."

Yet FIFA claims they will not makes any changes relating to thee hosting of 2018 or 2022 WC's.

Waiting for the Russophiles on this forum to come on and say that this is all a plot by the US to steal the 2018 WC from Russia.  :P

I do think there is a link to that but to other things as well. I am as happy as anyone to see FIFA officials arrested and hope Sepp Blatter will also be arrested in the near future and see the rest of his life out in the place he belongs, jail. However, I have an awful lot of questions about why and how this is happening:

FIFA corruption is not anything new nor has it reached any new heights, it has been this bad for decades. This corrupt system was largely set up by western powers/soccer federations to benefit themselves. And now two non-western countries have beaten them at their own corrupt game, all of a sudden we have discovered FIFA was corrupt. Why wasn't anyone complaining and arresting people when Germany bribed its way to a winning World Cup bid? Indeed all of the World Cup bids in recent memory have been won based on corruption. I am all for battling corruption but also think we should do this when the major western powers are the beneficiaries of corruption not only when they lose out.

The US key player in the corruption game, Chuck Blazer, has made a plea deal and become the chief informant on FIFA. How convenient that the US government controls their own player in this whole scheme. I have posted for years about Blazer and stated that as bad as Jack Warner was, Blazer was the real source of corruption in CONCACAF and that without US support Warner could not get away with what he was doing. The US soccer federation as well as various government agencies/politicians benefited from the Warner/Blazer partnership but this will undoubtedly be covered up. Blazer was so brazenly corrupt that he kept a travel blog showing his lavish lifestyle and all the celebrities and politicians he met on a regular basis (not to mention my personal favourite photos of the 60 very obese men posing with 20 year old girls dressed as sexy nurses). The travel blog alone showed enough evidence of corruption that Blazer should have been investigated years ago.

I also wonder if the FBI and FIFA had a competition on which organization is more corrupt and criminal who would win. I suspect this is a case of the crooks investigating the crooks. A few guys will take the fall, there may be a few reforms and things might get better for a few years but I suspect a new system of corruption will soon be put in place that will once again benefit those who the original corrupt system was meant to benefit.

By the way, a question to the Swiss police. Now that you are apparently arresting corrupt officials instead of protecting them, how is that investigation into Sepp Blatter's accident where he crashed his car while driving drunk and then fled with the licence plates coming?

Here some info on how Germany bribed their way to hosting a World Cup from none other than Herr Blatter. Not too mention that Germany based their World Cup hosting bid on a fraud, stating that despite West Germany hosting it not that long ago they were a new reunited country. Then they only had one of 12 stadiums and 5 of 64 games in the former East Germany instead choosing to fund new stadiums and renovations for all the rich clubs in West Germany.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/germany-rejects-blatter-claims-that-2006-world-cup-was-bought-a-844619.html

I do think there is a link to that but to other things as well. I am as happy as anyone to see FIFA officials arrested and hope Sepp Blatter will also be arrested in the near future and see the rest of his life out in the place he belongs, jail. However, I have an awful lot of questions about why and how this is happening:

FIFA corruption is not anything new nor has it reached any new heights, it has been this bad for decades. This corrupt system was largely set up by western powers/soccer federations to benefit themselves. And now two non-western countries have beaten them at their own corrupt game, all of a sudden we have discovered FIFA was corrupt. Why wasn't anyone complaining and arresting people when Germany bribed its way to a winning World Cup bid? Indeed all of the World Cup bids in recent memory have been won based on corruption. I am all for battling corruption but also think we should do this when the major western powers are the beneficiaries of corruption not only when they lose out.

The US key player in the corruption game, Chuck Blazer, has made a plea deal and become the chief informant on FIFA. How convenient that the US government controls their own player in this whole scheme. I have posted for years about Blazer and stated that as bad as Jack Warner was, Blazer was the real source of corruption in CONCACAF and that without US support Warner could not get away with what he was doing. The US soccer federation as well as various government agencies/politicians benefited from the Warner/Blazer partnership but this will undoubtedly be covered up. Blazer was so brazenly corrupt that he kept a travel blog showing his lavish lifestyle and all the celebrities and politicians he met on a regular basis (not to mention my personal favourite photos of the 60 very obese men posing with 20 year old girls dressed as sexy nurses). The travel blog alone showed enough evidence of corruption that Blazer should have been investigated years ago.

1. This investigation started in 2011.

2. Until a few years ago, Switzerland had a law not allowing indictments of FIFA and IOC members on bribery charges.

3. I like your sinister use of the word 'convenient' when, yes, it was actually convenient for American police to prosecute and start their investigation with an American citizen and resident.

4. There are charges related to the U.S.-hosted 2016 Copa America and likely indictments against Nike, hardly a pro-American whitewash.

The U.S. Department of Justice has repeatedly shown its the only organization in the world willing to go after international sporting corruption, including their own bidding processes and athletes (SLC Winter Games scandal, various doping issues, etc..) and they deserve every kudo they are getting right now. If we are asking why western agencies aren't doing more about FIFA/IOC/F1, let's ask Swiss and European police, where the power base, financial beneficiaries and headquarters of these organizations are.

Hey, lets's go even further:Let's ask the RCMP if they are investigating the ties of the CSA with Traffic and the NASL; let's ask our Canadian soccer journalists (like Ben Rycroft, who did great work on the CSL corruption scandal) if they are looking into why Montagliani chose to partner with these organizations for the Canada bid and why he has banned USL sanctioning while cheerleading the NASL expansion into Canada despite the fact that NASL has restrictive Canadian quotas while USL doesn't.

Waiting for the Russophiles on this forum to come on and say that this is all a plot by the US to steal the 2018 WC from Russia.  :P

Bet you Putin laid a little butt-nugget today.

Bet you Blatter flat out shit hisself.

But even if I'm wrong you can be sure both mens heads are spinning tonight.

Not to get all tin foil hatty but I can't but help believe there's a whole spider web of inter-connected US interests in play revolving around Swiss banking/privacy laws and Russian beligerence.  And FIFA is an ends to a means for some of these interests.  Its not out there in the public but you just have to know that if the Swiss were made to be on side with this  (and obviously they had to be to make it happen)  behind closed doors some big American guns were perhaps not being pointed at some Swiss financing heads, but they were certainly been shown to be swinging in that direction. 

It may be wishful thinking but today's arrests aren't even the warning shot across the bow.  It may feel like it but I'd bet its not even close.  10,000 shadowy moves have led to this, but for those in the know I think  we've just reached the point where this latest move ties everything up to now all together.   And the next moves?   As predicatable as tic, tac, and toe and there's not a damned thing that'll change that. 

Those who're invested in the FIFA status quo are going to do what they can to save what they can of that status quo.  For them the hardest part will be (collectively) figuring out what that lowest common denominator is is between them and their US opponents.   If they can't this whole FIFA thing is going to fall apart like a house of cards in a hurricane.  And probably quicker than a lot of people think.

Bet you Putin laid a little butt-nugget today.

Yes, I'm sure the Ex-KGB president of Russia who has long been accused of outright murder of his political rivals is outright terrified that his country might lose the world cup. 

I also wonder if the FBI and FIFA had a competition on which organization is more corrupt and criminal who would win. I suspect this is a case of the crooks investigating the crooks. A few guys will take the fall, there may be a few reforms and things might get better for a few years but I suspect a new system of corruption will soon be put in place that will once again benefit those who the original corrupt system was meant to benefit.

By the way, a question to the Swiss police. Now that you are apparently arresting corrupt officials instead of protecting them, how is that investigation into Sepp Blatter's accident where he crashed his car while driving drunk and then fled with the licence plates coming?

Here is an article that I think somewhat shares Grizzly's viewpoint.

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/5/democratize-fifa-now.html

Agree with you Griz...Gulati and Blazer were well known to be tight: allies in, and friends outside of, soccer. Amused that for all the stories on this, so little attention is paid to this. Be interesting to see what comes out...and what doesn't. Being tight with a crook doesn't mean guilt, being tight with with a compatriot in your organization so obviously corrupt that anyone could smell it a mile away does make you complicit.

Having said that, the CSA do not stand in any glory with their history of silence (at a bare minimum)...have always wondered if envelops were going to our boys as well.

Archived