Minnesota in MLS

tmcmurph

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/25/major-league-soccer-awards-expansion-team-minnesota?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=Hero&utm_campaign=03252015

I'm quite pleased by this. They ran a first rate operation in NASL and always had the best video stream for those of us watching via the web.

"With the addition of Minnesota in 2018, MLS will have 23 clubs with a stated goal of reaching 24 clubs by 2020. The MLS commissioner recently stated that MLS will consider expanding beyond 24 teams."

Okay Ottawa, Edmonton, etc, get yer ducks in a row!!! MLS-East & MLS-West with 16 teams each here we come!

Now, how about becoming a top ten league? :rolleyes:

On what metric do you propose to measure?

There was this article from 2013:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/mls-ranked-seventh-best-soccer-league-globally-can-it-break-into-the-top-five/

350x-11.jpg?w=320Getty Images

Okay, so this type of accolade comes with a certain about of skepticism from soccer fans. But lets enjoy it. I’m sure MLS commish Don Garber is.

Data released this morning from Sporting Intelligence revealed that Major League Soccer has been ranked as the seventh best soccer league in the world. The study brings into account attendances, finances, goals, competitiveness, caliber of players and managers, stadiums and success in continental competitions.

Beckham's time is running out for Miami. Many will be bidding on that final spot. Sacramento will be in the mix for sure.

Is Vegas still a consideration?

I thought Garber has already said that of they're qualified bids they're willing to go past the initial cap of 20 (?). That is that they won't limit expansion to a certain number.

I thought Garber has already said that of they're qualified bids they're willing to go past the initial cap of 20 (?). That is that they won't limit expansion to a certain number.

They said 2 years ago that they were looking to expand to 24 teams by 2020. My guess is that Sacramento will join in 2019 or 2020 and that they would look at expansion teams after that, but I wouldn't expect an expansion team to Miami by 2019. I think that it would be suicide to add even more in those years. I wouldn't expect  another expansion until 2020-2021 (depending on when Sacramento will join), IMO

OkelDal Las Vegas bid has been rejected few weeks back.

Good to see Minn United join league, and I'm hoping to see MLS give a spot to Sacramento.

I do believe MLS will go beyond 24 maybe to 32 teams without pro/reg system.

Hoping that they have an 8 team playoff system less team make more drama I believe.

They said 2 years ago that they were looking to expand to 24 teams by 2020. My guess is that Sacramento will join in 2019 or 2020 and that they would look at expansion teams after that, but I wouldn't expect an expansion team to Miami by 2019. I think that it would be suicide to add even more in those years. I wouldn't expect  another expansion until 2020-2021 (depending on when Sacramento will join), IMO

So Minnesota will make 23. Sacramento seem to be a strong bid for 24. So if Miami is still in the mix there would likely be a 26th team.

Beckham's time is running out for Miami. Many will be bidding on that final spot. Sacramento will be in the mix for sure.

People have been peddling this final spot thing as far back as when they were expanding to 16 teams. The claim at that point was the FIFA wouldn't allow them to expand beyond that. MLS won't turn down any viable bid with deep-pocketed investors and a plan for an SSS that spreads their geographical footprint and enhances the scope for a big broadcast deal down the road until they are in the 30-32 range. 

And FIFA won't step in to stop the growth of MLS. I think they recommend leagues of maximum 18 teams but there's more leagues in the world that have more teams. 

MLS being close to becoming a top 10 league is a joke though. Once they start beating Mexican sides, you can start to think about it. Liga MX isn't even a top 10 league.

And FIFA won't step in to stop the growth of MLS. I think they recommend leagues of maximum 18 teams but there's more leagues in the world that have more teams. 

MLS being close to becoming a top 10 league is a joke though. Once they start beating Mexican sides, you can start to think about it. Liga MX isn't even a top 10 league.

Liga MX is definitely top 10 league. Only Germany, Spain, England and Italy can definitely claim to be better than Liga MX on an absolute basis. 

Not according to IFFHS, which is the FIFA-recognized statistical bureau. 

1 (1) España 1259 2 (4) Italia 998 3 (2) England 958 4 (6) Argentina 938 5 (3) Deutschland 912 6 (5) Brasil 893 7 (7) France 871 8 (18) Portugal 758 9 (9) Colombia 697,5 10 (11) Paraguay 671,5 11 (16) Belgique 670 12 (8) Russia 653,5 13 (15) México 653,5 14 (22) Ellás 635 15 (20) Ecuador 627,5 16 (10) România 619 17 (21) Nederland 614 18 (12) Schweiz 611 19 (14) Ukrayina 594 20 (26) Cypern 579,5

Notice also that within Concacaf, Primera Division Costa Rica (34) is ranked above MLS (55). 

These numbers are based on 2014 and can be found here:

http://www.iffhs.de/en/?b6e20fa3002f70d00ee2d17f7370eff3702bb1c2bb0e

The fact that they have MLS at 55 shows how poor this list is.

I don't think so. I think that MLS isn't the 55th best league in the world, but did you check how the rating is based? It's based on what first division teams do in matches against teams of other countries and against teams at a lower level. MLS teams have done nothing in CCL and are not beating regularly inferior opposition in the US Open Cup. Is it a perfect list? No, but it's not a poor list, it's just a fact that MLS isn't doing that good against teams from leagues that are inferior. It's like the other standings that said MLS was the 7th league in the world. Is it true? Maybe not, but according to the metrics they used, it was.

I don't think so. I think that MLS isn't the 55th best league in the world, but did you check how the rating is based? It's based on what first division teams do in matches against teams of other countries and against teams at a lower level. MLS teams have done nothing in CCL and are not beating regularly inferior opposition in the US Open Cup. Is it a perfect list? No, but it's not a poor list, it's just a fact that MLS isn't doing that good against teams from leagues that are inferior. It's like the other standings that said MLS was the 7th league in the world. Is it true? Maybe not, but according to the metrics they used, it was.

I stand corrected. If this is how it is ranked then I can see MLS being that low. 

This system - taking into account mainly cup competitions - seems to me like it would favour unbalanced leagues. The top teams are the ones who play the most inter-league soccer, right?

In MLS, where you can have the Houston Dynamo just squeak into the playoffs, go on a run to the MLS cup and qualify for Champions League... I don't know if this system accurately accounts for MLS weirdness (ie. parity). 

Yeah, rankings interesting. It is a problem when you judge only by how well the clubs do in inter-league competition, and even more so for evaluating MLS. Since no club gets to Concacaf Champions by being the best over a season (CDNs through a very brief V-Cup, Americans through MLS playoffs), you are not necessarily putting the proven best of MLS into games that would enable a higher ranking.

The high SA rankings is based on putting a high value on Libertadores and even World Club Cup results.

BTW, have  you see they are playing the new Euroamericana Cup today, Sevilla at River Plate, winners of the respective 2nd level Cup in their respective confederations. Both teams ravaged by international call-ups. So are we to assume this match, if won by River playing at home, will have an effect on rankings?

Personally, I would rate German 2. Bundesliga and the English Championship above MX. Maybe even Spanish Segunda but I don't see enough of it to make a decent judgment. Anyway fact is MLS team rarely beat Mexican sides, whatever they are ranked. Yes Montreal beat them in a 2-game, but still without a victory. Right now, any comparison is not even close. 

Personally, I would rate German 2. Bundesliga and the English Championship above MX. Maybe even Spanish Segunda but I don't see enough of it to make a decent judgment. Anyway fact is MLS team rarely beat Mexican sides, whatever they are ranked. Yes Montreal beat them in a 2-game, but still without a victory. Right now, any comparison is not even close. 

Here I think you are way off, the best 2nd tier in the world for me is clearly England, look at the money, salaries, etc. And Mexico is better for sure. Germany and Spain, as well as Serie B, have very modest teams, mixed in with stronger historical ones. Competitive, hard working, but modest as hell, well below MLS. Ther are teams in Spanish 2nd tier playing in stadiums in front of 3-4000 people, making minimum salaries of 4000 euros a month. They are good, some are amazing (Llagostera in mid-table Spanish 2nd, near me, is in a town of 6000 and play in a nearby larger one as their stadium is artificial grass used for the kids), but no way are they close to an MLS or MX.

Archived