Voyageurs Cup 2015

The three MLS clubs have been seeded according to their final position in league play for 2014, with the winner of the preliminary round entering the competition seeded in fourth place.

2015 Amway Canadian Championship seeding

1. Vancouver Whitecaps FC

2. Toronto FC

3. Montreal Impact

4. Winner of Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton

http://www.canadasoccer.com/schedule-for-2015-amway-canadian-championship-set-p157440

I really think the format needs to change so that the NASL clubs at least get one game each against an MLS side. How this would work, I don't know. But the CSA should help the lower division teams as much as possible by giving them the opportunity of a marquee game.

Nowhere in the press release did I see a mention of television coverage. Is it safe to assume we will have this on one of the various Sportsnet channels again? Last year, they ignored the play in game and only broadcast the semi final and the final. I hope that changes.

Nowhere in the press release did I see a mention of television coverage. Is it safe to assume we will have this on one of the various Sportsnet channels again? Last year, they ignored the play in game and only broadcast the semi final and the final. I hope that changes.

All the info so far

"Sportsnet will have live coverage of the 2015 Amway Canadian Championship. Broadcast details to follow in the coming weeks."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/amway-canadian-championship-toronto-fc-montreal-impact-vancouver-whitecaps-mls-major-league-soccer-ottawa-fury-fc-edmonton/

I really think the format needs to change so that the NASL clubs at least get one game each against an MLS side. How this would work, I don't know. But the CSA should help the lower division teams as much as possible by giving them the opportunity of a marquee game.

I agree and the only thing I can think of is giving the top seed a bye to the final.  It's not a perfect solution but the NASL sides are loosing out in the current format. 

They could have all five teams play a round robin. Each team plays 2 away, 2 home and the top two after that play either a single game or a two leg final. Since the format will likely stay the same for the forseeable future, teams would alternate home/away with each opponent, every other year. For example, if Ottawa is home to Montreal in 2016, they go to Montreal in 2017.

They would need to set aside five match days for the round robin. For every week of the tournament, one team will be idle. Over three months, I think this is definitely doable and it provides Sportsnet with more summer time content.

Why should Vancouver get #1 seed ahead of Montreal?  The defending champion should always be the top seed but I'm sure they did that for travel reasons.

The rule has always been that the top seed is the top MLS team in the regular season standings. (It's a stupid rule, but it's not new.)

Besides, you don't want to face Vancouver in the semi-final. They usually win those. Get them in the final and it's an automatic victory.

I fully agree. Frankly, with a mere five teams, is a 20 game round robin, really too much to ask?

• 2 weeks later...

I fully agree. Frankly, with a mere five teams, is a 20 game round robin, really too much to ask?

Its not about the number of games, it's about matchdays that teams have to schedule around.

home and home round robin means a 10 matchday tournament. Do you want 8 more guaranteed wednesday games on every schedule? Transportation costs alone (especially for NASL teams) would be hard to deal with.

Right now MLS teams have 2 or 4 match days. NASL 2,4 or 6.

A single game 5 team round robin would mean every team plays 4 games over 5 match days. (2 home 2 away for each team)is more doable.

But either way the big concern is that this means much more difficulty having an open tournament.

If they were to switch, how would you then make room for the L10/PLSQ champion? Calgary? BC semipro champion?

Round robin does not scale. 

My suspicion is that they are not considering such a thing for this exact reason. They want to add more teams in 2017. which is easier if they keep things the way they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not about the number of games, it's about matchdays that teams have to schedule around.

home and home round robin means a 10 matchday tournament. Do you want 8 more guaranteed wednesday games on every schedule? Transportation costs alone (especially for NASL teams) would be hard to deal with.

Right now MLS teams have 2 or 4 match days. NASL 2,4 or 6.

A single game 5 team round robin would mean every team plays 4 games over 5 match days. (2 home 2 away for each team)is more doable.

But either way the big concern is that this means much more difficulty having an open tournament.

If they were to switch, how would you then make room for the L10/PLSQ champion? Calgary? BC semipro champion?

Round robin does not scale. 

My suspicion is that they are not considering such a thing for this exact reason. They want to add more teams in 2017. which is easier if they keep things the way they are.

As far as Wednesday games, yea, I do and frankly I think the Cup and MLS should split the burden on said dates as far as who lands on Friday and who lands on Wednesday.

But I must concede the point of travel costs. That I can certainly understand as FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury aren't making boatloads (although I'm sure Jeff Hunt is making a fair share off the RedBlacks and 67's). I also must concede scaling would be an issue, for as much as we may want it to happen, the V.Cup isn't going to muscle out MLS any time soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Canada Soccer confirms Amway Canadian Championship kick off times.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-confirms-amway-canadian-championship-kick-off-times-p157644

Both Amway Canadian Championship preliminary round matches on 22 and 29 of April will be streamed live via canadasoccer.com. The subsequent rounds will be broadcast live on Sportsnet.

2015 Amway Canadian Championship (home team listed first)

22 April 2015 - Preliminary round - first leg

Ottawa Fury FC v FC Edmonton

TD Place, Ottawa

19.30 local

29 April 2015 - Preliminary round - second leg

FC Edmonton v Ottawa Fury FC

Clarke Field, Edmonton

20.00 local

6 May 2015 - Semi Finals - first leg

Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton v Vancouver Whitecaps FC

TBC

19.30 local

Impact Montréal v Toronto FC

Stade Saputo, Montreal

19.30 local

13 May 2015 - Semi Finals - second leg

Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton

BC Place, Vancouver

19.00 local

Toronto FC v Impact Montréal

BMO Field, Toronto

19.30 local

The 2015 Amway Canadian Championship two-leg final will be held on 12 and 26 August

• 2 weeks later...

The Impact got a heck of break even getting to the Champions League.  Recall that they were about to lose the first round of the Voyageurs Cup last year, on away-goals to Edmonton until they were awarded a questionable penalty in the 97th minute to go ahead.

Archived