TFC vs Whitecaps 16July2014

tmcmurph

I should also add that Adekugbe was impressive. Oduro (many say the fastest player in the league) tried a couple times to push the ball past him and beat him on the run. Sam stayed with him both times.

I guess I saw a different game from many of you because I thought the best thing about Tiebert was his range and work rate in both ends of the field.  For the goal set up he didn't have to beat anyone so he used the time and (acres of) space to play a good ball in (which I still think should have been cut out).  I didn't see him as that big a threat when he drifted more to the flank, tbh.  Getting pancaked off the ball via Bradley's shoulder charge early in the second half was something he probably like to forget.  

I can see the comparisons to a Will Johnson type of player as Tiebert's career goes on. I wonder if Floro will get him back in the fold (along with Johnson, for that matter).

I guess I saw a different game from many of you because I thought the best thing about Tiebert was his range and work rate in both ends of the field.  For the goal set up he didn't have to beat anyone so he used the time and (acres of) space to play a good ball in (which I still think should have been cut out).  I didn't see him as that big a threat when he drifted more to the flank, tbh.  Getting pancaked off the ball via Bradley's shoulder charge early in the second half was something he probably like to forget.  

I can see the comparisons to a Will Johnson type of player as Tiebert's career goes on. I wonder if Floro will get him back in the fold (along with Johnson, for that matter).

Definitely. Warner was the man in the position to do it but seemed to have been looking the wrong way.

Spot on.

Personally, Teibert's future is in the middle of the park.  Doesn't have the speed and very rarely beats anyone 1 v 1.  He had a lot of early success out wide right because he would cut back, but once that was picked up on his impact on the game dropped.  His work rate and passing are his strengths, needs to learn the dark arts of body positioning, turns, feeling for fouls and if he does he'll have a very successful career.  

Spot on.

Personally, Teibert's future is in the middle of the park.  Doesn't have the speed and very rarely beats anyone 1 v 1.  He had a lot of early success out wide right because he would cut back, but once that was picked up on his impact on the game dropped.  His work rate and passing are his strengths, needs to learn the dark arts of body positioning, turns, feeling for fouls and if he does he'll have a very successful career.  

When Johnson came into the NT set up at the GC a few years back he was similar player (wasn't beating guys in the wide right position but providing excellent defensive support for Stalteri) and has now matured into a much more physical presence (i.e. does the pushing around more than gets pushed around).  A good guy to have if you want to play an up tempo, pressing game that seems in vogue in the game at the moment.  Didn't Rennie suggest last year that Tiebert should model his game after Portland midfielder?

The one thing I've noticed Teibert add to his game this season is his shooting.  Hes had a few impressive attempts on goal that I've seen... if one of those goes in the Vs board would have a much different perspective.  I think we all called that his cut back move would be found out eventually and now is the time he needs to adapt as a player.  I really agree with the comparison to Johnson but I think Teibert has an even higher ceiling. 

Archived