TFC vs Whitecaps 16July2014

tmcmurph

Rather lackadaisical for large parts. It looked fairly hot and humid. Maybe that was why. Both teams seemed to control their defending quite well. I thought TFC had more opportunities especially those late pair of headers. 

Both the foul on Laba and NRC I thought were rather weak. Both players established position and stood there and got run into. Oh well such is officiating in MLS. Other than that and the mystery call for the foul on Fernandez at the end (didn't see who the TFC player was but it looked like he took the ball and Fernandez tripped) I thought the officiating crew did a good job. I'd give them a 6/10.

Henry really does handle the speed he was facing very well. I was quite impressed how he didn't let Hurtado get by. Very solid and noticeable night for him. 

Adekugbe at LB was very good with the passing and mostly with the defending. Crosses need work but a very good outing for him. Here is hoping we see more of him.

Teibert was his usual self out there and was a good choice to have in front of the rookie LB. How his pass made it through to Mattocks I really don't know. I think there was 4 TFC players and 2 Whitecaps in the box and he got it to one of them. 

A point on the road. Glad to get it. 

The young Canadians on TFC seem to have really benefited from the much better roster this year. They don't get to play any longer just because the team is full of garbage, they have to compete and improve now. Henry and Osorio have stepped their games up to match, Bekker, Welshman and Morgan not as much. 

In particular, Henry and Hagglund could be a dynamite pairing for years to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cull of the Canadians that haven't made the grade this year and some of the residency stand-outs like Sacramento, Robous, Black and that new striker who is tearing up L10 start to get moved through the system.

The young Canadians on TFC seem to have really benefited from the much better roster this year. They don't get to play any longer just because the team is full of garbage, they have to compete and improve now. Henry and Osorio have stepped their games up to match, Bekker, Welshman and Morgan not as much. 

In particular, Henry and Hagglund could be a dynamite pairing for years to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cull of the Canadians that haven't made the grade this year and some of the residency stand-outs like Sacramento, Robous, Black and that new striker who is tearing up L10 start to get moved through the system.

I wouldn't get too excited, Babouli is at least 21 years old.

edit: Welshman was cut, he is with Sigma FC in L1O.

Adekugbe showing he is likely the future of the CanMNT left back spot, and should be starting for Whitecaps right now. I am big on Ashtone Morgan and wish he was the TFC first choice left back, but it just doesn't seem to be working out.

I'll argue that Bekker has looked much better than he did last year. Not good enough to start ahead of Warner (who I have been very impressed with since joining Toronto), but I don't cringe at the thought of Bekker in the starting XI.

I don't necessarily know that Morgan has regressed this year, hard to judge with exactly 1 minute of MLS action.

Adekugbe showing he is likely the future of the CanMNT left back spot, and should be starting for Whitecaps right now. I am big on Ashtone Morgan and wish he was the TFC first choice left back, but it just doesn't seem to be working out.

Morrow hasn't been any great shakes lately and his marking on the Mattocks' goal left a lot to be desired.

Harvey was a journeyman until he got to Vancouver. Then he decided to play real good offensively. He's durable, not many cards, good offensively and almost as energetic as Teibert. I feel Sam played very good defensively and chose his spots well to join the attack but played it safe a lot (might have been orders from coach "safety first"). He made good decisions and his passes forward really helped. I was impressed that he didn't try to force things.

Harvey is 30 and Adekugbe is 19 so he'll probably start seeing more starts as Harvey ages. I could see Sam challenging for the starter role next season. In time Adekugbe will be our LB. Maybe Harvey will provide cover for him soon. 

Harvey provides a very good level of competition for Sam which is driving him to be a much better player. 

Rather lackadaisical for large parts. It looked fairly hot and humid. Maybe that was why. Both teams seemed to control their defending quite well. I thought TFC had more opportunities especially those late pair of headers. 

It wasn't really hot or humid in Toronto yesterday. The temperature was probably in the high to mid teens at game time.

Maybe it simply had to do with it being a mid-week game?

I though it was a quite boring game.

--------------

I'm not sure I'm sold on Nelsen as a coach. He will survive because of Defoe. But he has TFC playing some of the most boring soccer since Preki. The sad thing is that I think TFC has the players to play less direct.

Nice to see Adekugbe get a start. I though he looked shaky at first but played a decent game overall afterwards. Not bad considering his age.

Since the Warner trade, TFC's record has been so much better when Bradley doesn't play. This isn't Bradley's fault, its because when he plays they still play Warner, who is a poor man's version of Bradley, and it throws the balance of the team off. They just don't create enough chances when the two of them are paired together and that was the case again last night, as the majority of the chances they did create were all from set pieces rather than from the play, and even then there weren't that many chances, particularly in the first h alf. Not only that, it relegates Osorio either to the bench or to the wing where he is only as half effective.  Although Warner has played fairly well, he is simply not what the team needs in the starting line-up when Bradley is there.

Since the Warner trade, TFC's record has been so much better when Bradley doesn't play. This isn't Bradley's fault, its because when he plays they still play Warner, who is a poor man's version of Bradley, and it throws the balance of the team off. They just don't create enough chances when the two of them are paired together and that was the case again last night, as the majority of the chances they did create were all from set pieces rather than from the play, and even then there weren't that many chances, particularly in the first h alf. Not only that, it relegates Osorio either to the bench or to the wing where he is only as half effective.  Although Warner has played fairly well, he is simply not what the team needs in the starting line-up when Bradley is there.

I thought subbing out Osorio was a bad move. He's one of the only guys that can create on TFC.

Good point on Warner. But Nelsen is very conservative. Plus he is fighting for his job. Its one of the main reasons why I think he has benched Gilberto.

^ You both have good points.  I like Warner, he has played really well, but, well, you made the point.  I agree Osorio is much more effective playing centrally.  You could see his frustration at lack of accomplishment when he came off yesterday.  I much prefer Gilberto over Moore, despite the fact that Moore has managed to score more.  I thought Moore was ineffective last night.

Was at the match. As someone said, it was neither hot nor humid. It was rather cool most of the afternoon/evening and had rained heavily a few hours prior to kick-off.

Both teams were largely wasteful and unimpressive for the first three quarters of the match. Apart from Tiebert's excellent run and cross to Mattocks for the goal, there wasn't much being created. 

Was pleased to see a few Canadians start on both sides. Tiebert was lively and moving well and Adekugbe looked solid. Didn't notice Osorio much. Henry made some terrific tackles but his passing, particularly in the first half, was a bit woeful. The two fellas behind me were really laying into him for it but he definitely settled down as the match carried on.

Thought the penalty was dodgy, but I'm a Whitecaps supporter and was sitting at the opposite end of the ground so I can't say for sure.

I think Morgan is still riding the high of 2012.  At 23 and 3 years of experience he should have more than 1 minute of gametime.  

You saw the future CMNT LB last night.  Shame he was hurt for so long this spring, otherwise he would have started both VC games and probably another MLS game.  Next year will be Harveys last and in 2016 the LB spot will be Adekugbe's.   

There was two separate occasions where I was watching TFC attacking, and Pedro Morales got ahold of the ball either defending in the box, or just on the outside edge of it.  Morales, understanding possession, dipped and turned, and kept the ball brilliantly considering he was trying to play out of the back.  I really appreciated that type of play.

Unfortunately, on both occasions, his first pass was to Reo Coker, who under limited to no pressure from the opposition, hoofed it down the field rather inexplicably.  I see ReoC doing that type of thing a LOT.  It's pretty frustrating actually.

I think Morgan is still riding the high of 2012.  At 23 and 3 years of experience he should have more than 1 minute of gametime.  

His head coach is former international defender, an assistant coach is a former international LB/wingback.  You'd think a guy with Morgan's raw materials would have developed more in that coaching situation.   

Morgan is okay but too one dimensional to be anything more than an MLS bit part player.  He's very weak defensively and heavily favours his left foot I find.  Positive aspects are his speed and physicality which should keep him in the league.  

Adekugbe impressed me last night, thought he was really solid and a much better prospect than Morgan was at his age.  Teibert was good as he usually is.. solid touches and a solid ball in that happened to be tucked away, nice showing. 

Henry was a monster, plain and simple looked like a man amongst boys in the match and against some solid attackers.  Osorio was out played by Teibert consistently, I'm sure both players were eager to win that match-up and Teibert showed why he has been consistently considered the better prospect. 

Thought the penalty was dodgy, but I'm a Whitecaps supporter and was sitting at the opposite end of the ground so I can't say for sure.

I thought the penalty was a little weak when I watched it happen live. But I think if you watch the replay it looks like a totally legit penalty.

Henry was a monster, plain and simple looked like a man amongst boys in the match and against some solid attackers.  Osorio was out played by Teibert consistently, I'm sure both players were eager to win that match-up and Teibert showed why he has been consistently considered the better prospect. 

I agree that Henry was a beast.

Osorio is wasted as a winger. He needs to be playing as a creative central mid, which this team badly lacks due to tactics.

<cue broken record> I love Doneil Henry.  He needs to keep his passing simple, which he did in the second half.  Just flip the ball to Bradley/Warner.  He did try and do too much in the first half.  But those crunching tackles - my God.  I feel them in my seat.

Orr really ripped into Morrow on one occasion after one too many attempted long passes went astray.  Orr has become a very useful player for TFC.

Agreed on Henry. 

IMO Osorio's a better player than Teibert right now, but Teibert's far better suited to play out wide. We saw that last night.

Archived