Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excited about the schedule coming out and now knowing where we'll be playing. I'm sure we'll see some pre-season friendlies thrown in as well. (FC Edmonton perhaps?)

Looking forward to meeting up with my fellow Footsoldiers when we get together with the Foothills people in a few weeks. Lots to discuss, such as Player sponsorship ( won't be too expensive the more people we get involved) and we'll get our name in the program :D . Also we need to find a pub for pre-match meet-ups.

Excited about the schedule coming out and now knowing where we'll be playing. I'm sure we'll see some pre-season friendlies thrown in as well. (FC Edmonton perhaps?)

Looking forward to meeting up with my fellow Footsoldiers when we get together with the Foothills people in a few weeks. Lots to discuss, such as Player sponsorship ( won't be too expensive the more people we get involved) and we'll get our name in the program :D . Also we need to find a pub for pre-match meet-ups.

Hey, do you guys already have a supporters group going? I'd like to join up with some lads

Hey, do you guys already have a supporters group going? I'd like to join up with some lads

Hi pbullen,

Yes, the FOOTSOLDIERS are in our early stages but as I mentioned, the club is holding a meet-up with us in a few weeks at their facility, hope to see you there!

Also, just 12 games total. Not going to build much traction with that.

One of the things that always hampered the Highlanders, a short season did not allow time to build any buzz and a schedule that was irregular (ie. games one week apart and then no games for three weeks). The HIghlanders always padded out the season with a friendly "cup" against Victoria United and usually another with some visiting club (last year we actually got Rangers, yes from Glasgow). These extra games helped make it feel like a season and when we got a playoff game at home one year it felt like a big deal.

This is the flaw in the PDL and why we needed to move up to a pro league with a longer season and more games.

Anyway good luck, sorry we never got to beat  play you guys. ;)

Also, just 12 games total. Not going to build much traction with that.

Isn't there supposed to be PDL Plus starting this year?  This was another PDL season in the fall for interested teams.  Not sure if Foothills is involved with this plan or not.

Jason

Did anyone notice that three of the six games are on weeknights (one each on Tues, Wed, Thurs) and those games are scheduled for 6:30pm?  I confirmed the start times w/ Foothills via Twitter.  That's a tough start time if you are working and will result in me missing two of those games.

Jason

6 home game, can't be more than $90, I think

I think they were charging $15 per game last year for their friendlies, and a season pass was $50. 

I looked at their non-MLS reserve club divisional rivals.  Here are their prices:

Lane United $10/game or $64 season ticket (8 games - 6 PDL and 2 non league games)

Kitsap $10/game or $67 season ticket (unsure if any extra games)

Puget Sound looks like $10/game

Washington can't find on site

Jason

The short schedule is indeed a major flaw with PDL, as are the awkward kickoff times and uneven placement of games (ex three home games in a week, followed by nothing for several). When Ottawa Fury were in PDL, those of us who were supporting them had to deal with it. Makes it almost impossible to build support or a following for the club.

Wish you guys all the best in Calgary. I'll certainly spread the word about the Footsoldiers.

The short schedule struggle is real. Especially the craziness of the schedule. United plays some crazy games. Clubs get to decide a bit of their schedule, but everyone else has to agree.

Interesting to see what comes of all these PDL clubs because it is very clear that no one will have the option of USL Pro. 

Hard to believe I am only catching wind of this now. Either I live under a rock or they're not making themselves visible enough to the soccer community.

Now, i'm sure they have all sorts of news on the foothills website, but I play in CUSA and had no idea this was happening and I never ever heard anyone on my team discuss it.

Where is the advertising around the CSC?

That being said, perhaps i'll drop out to meet a few of you boys!

The impression I got - and this is highly unofficial - is that the Foothills guys initially visualized this PDL team as an extension of their player development pyramid which might get the occasional good turnout but certainly wouldn't be run with the expectation of high attendance. It took a while for them to realize "wow, people outside the Foothills family are actually interested in this level of soccer!" and they still aren't quite on the front foot. That sort of marketing isn't their background.

Archived