Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So, first meeting of the Foot Soldiers was a great success! I can't copy and paste info in IE 11 on this forum so I'll just direct folks to our blog for notes from the first meeting http://footsoldierssg.weebly.com/blog/'> http://footsoldierssg.weebly.com/blog/

Hoping that more folks show up for the next meeting. Anyone other than Stuart, madmonte and myself from here interested?

One thing that was mentioned that you might not have heard Sean, was that they said they are hoping to finalize on a kit sponsor.  "80% there" is what I heard.  I didn't ask for more details than that, of course, since he couldn't give them even if I asked, but it was definitely encouraging to hear.  Hopefully they can get it done! 

Another thing mentioned was that they did fundraising to help pay for the travel for the 7 away games, and as far as I understood, the fund raising is done and the travel money is in the bag, if I understood it right.

Good on em.

One thing that was mentioned that you might not have heard Sean, was that they said they are hoping to finalize on a kit sponsor.  "80% there" is what I heard.  I didn't ask for more details than that, of course, since he couldn't give them even if I asked, but it was definitely encouraging to hear.  Hopefully they can get it done! 

Another thing mentioned was that they did fundraising to help pay for the travel for the 7 away games, and as far as I understood, the fund raising is done and the travel money is in the bag, if I understood it right.

Good on em.

Any idea how much they raised in fundraising?  Travel will be a big expense for them for sure.

Jason

Any mention of MLS in Calgary today is simply leading Calgarians astray. It's just not going to happen without the city supporting the grassroots level first. Get out and support Calgary Foothills, pack Hellard on a regular basis and then we can talk about moving up to USL or NASL.

Maybe folks can join the Foot Soldiers while they're at it... ;)

Any mention of MLS in Calgary today is simply leading Calgarians astray. It's just not going to happen without the city supporting the grassroots level first. Get out and support Calgary Foothills, pack Hellard on a regular basis and then we can talk about moving up to USL or NASL.

Maybe folks can join the Foot Soldiers while they're at it... ;)

Agree about mentioning MLS, but if you look at pretty much anyone getting a USL or PDL club these days and they throw it out there.  It's almost like the USL head office suggests it should be a talking point.

Realistically, Foothills by themselves would never be able to mount a MLS bid, but could work with some deep pocketed guys to help make it happen, like the Flames group.  I am starting to think more and more that they are seriously investigating MLS behind the scenes.

Jason

Agree about mentioning MLS, but if you look at pretty much anyone getting a USL or PDL club these days and they throw it out there.  It's almost like the USL head office suggests it should be a talking point.

Realistically, Foothills by themselves would never be able to mount a MLS bid, but could work with some deep pocketed guys to help make it happen, like the Flames group.  I am starting to think more and more that they are seriously investigating MLS behind the scenes.

Jason

NASL would be more realistic for them - if MLS adds another Canadian team it would likely be closer to 2030 and only if they go to 30-32 franchises. Building up a club in NASL and trying for a move to MLS if they choose would be more advisable.

From the Black Hole had a great podcast with Tommy Wheeldon talking about Calgary Foothills and their vision. One good thing to note is that the reason why they seem to prefer an eventual move to USL over NASL is largely about cost (expansion and travel), and to a lesser extent about CSA sanctioning for the Canadian USL teams requiring 50% Canadians on the roster.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Podcasts2014/FromtheBlackHoleEpisode46withTommyWheeldon.aspx

I was disappointed to hear that the prairie high performance league has hit a few roadblocks. Hopefully they can get past them.

I hate to say it, but if I was a player in Calgary or Edmonton, why would I want Sask or Regina in the league? Lots more travelling for a (presumably) lower level of play.

I hate to say it, but if I was a player in Calgary or Edmonton, why would I want Sask or Regina in the league? Lots more travelling for a (presumably) lower level of play.

From what I've been told by ppl in the various provincial associations and clubs, there would only be 1 or 2 teams from both Calgary and Edmonton in the league, at least at the start with perhaps one for all of southern SK (in Regina) and one for northern (in S'toon). Right now the players in AB that would all play together on those teams are scattered across multiple clubs and districts and the same is true in SK. A lot of the players are big fish in little ponds. Therefore the establishment of the PHPL would be in part to raise the level of play and competition. These are the words of ppl we've talked to in the know not our own.

To paraphrase Wheeldon, the clubs don't want to lose their big fish because it reduces their chance at provincial success, club nationals, etc. In other words, trophies are valued over development as seems to be so often the case in other areas. Additionally, clubs don't want to 'lose' their players to other opportunities and are fighting the change.

Additionally, there's actually a lot of talent in SK. But due to population and geography, individual clubs have difficulty putting together strong teams. Having only one or two PHPL teams would concentrate that talent and you might be surprised how competitive they would be.

Archived