VOYAGEURS CUP 2013 Semi-Final 2nd Leg(return) Wednesday 1st May (R)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINAL score Whitecaps 2 - 0 FC Edmonton

So final is Whitecaps vs. Montreal

Since whitecaps are higher seed they get to pick whenever they play home or away first

Kudos to FC Edmonton being down to 10men they played extremely well, showed character that impressed me. Their defense started falling apart after Leroy got Red Carded in the 52min on a challenge. I thought it deserved a Yellow

Yea the red was harsh. A FK sure, yellow okay but straight red? That is rough. The own goal was another real bad break for them. Last week for the 3rd goal and this week for the 2cd. Both times the player had the right idea but the ball just didn't bounce right. The officiating was so so. Lots of handballs not called, holding all over the field not called. Sloppy officiating. Too bad because FCE fought hard and deserve better. We all do.

FCE play defensively very good. Well organized and only got beat in the box a few times. Outside the box they didn't fare as well. Got beat to the ball a lot. Heinemann was out positioning them on the high and Mattocks, Teibert and Koffie wide with the speed. FCE had only a few chances going forward and Saiko's toe hack almost got one. Caught Knighton by surprise. Good luck in NASL.

You could see the Caps strategy from the start was to bypass the FCE midfield and go long with Mattocks and Heinemann wearing them down with speed and size. It worked very well and as the game went on the defenders got worn out. Even before the red they were showing signs of fatigue. They were getting beaten to the ball a lot. Then throw on Hertzog at halftime & Manneh/Hurtado later on and you have a defence back on their heals.

On the positive side for the Caps Teibert & Koffie bossed the mid field. That is a nice future midfield pairing for us. Heinemann played a whale of a game. The youth brigade for the Caps looks very good and played like a team for the full 90. Russell had one shot and put it wide but it was not sub-orbital so he's improving his shooting.

Mattocks is still snake bitten hitting the post once and missing another.

So I guess the towrads are working for Vancouver now.

EDIT: According to Martin Rennie at the post-game press conference, Vancouver will play away first.

From Twitter: Vancouver Whitecaps

#VWFC will have a chance to lift the Voyageurs Cup at home on May 29! Tickets go on sale tomorrow at noon.

So I guess the sponsons are working for Vancouver now.

Fixed your post. It's important that with your new shirt sponson now a sponson of the CSA, that you now get the breaks. But, both teams have sponsons. The towrads can only do their damage in Montreal.

One thing is certain about TFC, just when you think the team can't hit a new low, it hits a new low. As a TFC fan, I'm worried that this result will lead to a long stretch of poor league results.

The final will be interesting. Its obvious that Montreal are the favourites.

FC Edmonton gets beaten in the end but still punches above their weight in both games. Good fight right until the end.

Lets hope that spirit is taken into the Pan handel for the weekend and we can come out of there with three points.

a nice away win this weekend would be a good rebound.

On the positive side for the Caps Teibert & Koffie bossed the mid field. That is a nice future midfield pairing for us.

Not just for Van but it might be a nice midfield for the Men's team as well, providing Koffie will become a Canadian.

To FC Edmonton's credit...Edward and Roberts continue to impress me...Edward with work ethic and gritty play, and Roberts with quickness for size and sheer potential.

I only watched the first leg, but Roberts and Edward weren't even the best two defenders in that game. Lance Laing was amazing in that match.

Edward did have an end to end rush on Sunday that resulted in a PK goal for Saiko.

First time I've seen that inner sail roof. Seems an effective solution for making BC place seem more intimate.

Intimate, like if you were on a date trying to get lucky and you want the lights down low. Not so much if you like to actually see the sun on the pitch and feel like you're outside, as they make it excessively dark in there.

Intimate, like if you were on a date trying to get lucky and you want the lights down low. Not so much if you like to actually see the sun on the pitch and feel like you're outside, as they make it excessively dark in there.

Ah..... right, So Christy Clarke's push towards a carbon neutral econonomy also extends to not Letting BC Place turn on the Floodlights then?;)

I only watched the first leg, but Roberts and Edward weren't even the best two defenders in that game. Lance Laing was amazing in that match.

Edward did have an end to end rush on Sunday that resulted in a PK goal for Saiko.

Yes and although Laing didn't play in the 2nd leg, he did a great job again against San Antonio in the home opener. The Whitecaps loaned out players to keep them in the playing time in Alberta...but for me, it may be too late...some of them might already be surpassed by current FC Edmonton players, too, not just Whitecaps.

Yes and although Laing didn't play in the 2nd leg, he did a great job again against San Antonio in the home opener. The Whitecaps loaned out players to keep them in the playing time in Alberta...but for me, it may be too late...some of them might already be surpassed by current FC Edmonton players, too, not just Whitecaps.

The Whitecaps only loaned one player to FC Edmonton and I don't think there's any danger of Carlyle Mitchell falling behind Adrian LeRoy on the depth chart any time soon.

The Whitecaps only loaned one player to FC Edmonton and I don't think there's any danger of Carlyle Mitchell falling behind Adrian LeRoy on the depth chart any time soon.

I'm more concerned about Roberts than LeRoy bro. Considering Mitchell, and then Watson, who many had pencilled in as starting in defence...well now they are looking to have to fight for their spot a little more than expected. But then, I've been high on Roberts. He still has a lot to learn, of course.

But I mean...it's not like I see Mitchell making LESS mistakes out there.

I'm more concerned about Roberts than LeRoy bro. Considering Mitchell, and then Watson, who many had pencilled in as starting in defence...well now they are looking to have to fight for their spot a little more than expected. But then, I've been high on Roberts. He still has a lot to learn, of course.

Ah, I see. Watson's such an unknown quantity that I'm reluctant to pencil him in anywhere. As for Roberts, well, every Canadian fan should make a point of watching him, but that doesn't mean he's ready to be a 2000-minute man professionally.

Archived