From Wednesday April 24, 2013

Toronto - 11043

Edmonton - 2836

Last years semifinal numbers. TFC vs Montreal, Edmonton vs Vancouver

TFC - 15016

Edmonton -2777

Montreal - 13405

Vancouver - 15011

In Toronto's case, the weather played a big part of low attendance. I think more people would have shown up (not 20,000, but 15,000 at least) if weather was nice.

In Toronto's case, the weather played a big part of low attendance. I think more people would have shown up (not 20,000, but 15,000 at least) if weather was nice.

Oh, we all always have excuses in Toronto, don't we? Geez.

Unrelated: Edmonton would have done a lot better if the game weren't simultaneous with an Oilers home game.

I wonder if its also Just the wrong time in the year for Edmonton.

This game is in effect their home opener. Now if they were to get the same 2800 turn up on sunday they could have a problem as the new stands, due to inclement weather, have yet to be erected.

All of the gates above are leading me to muse on the possibility of petitioning the CSA to turn this competition into a holiday weekender, similar to the Millenium madness created by the European Rugby (Super) Leauge.

when wembly was been rebuilt and the Milenium in Cardif was used by the FA the Ruby League also held it challenge cup there. when wembly was finished they moved back but decided they would book a holiday weekend in which all 12 teams would play one full round (6 games) as away of keeping a precence in the Principality, which is more use to the 15 man code.

Is it beyond the wit of he CSA to come up with a programme that would turn the V into a simple Three game torney (4 if you want a 3rd place play off)?

Two games on a Saturday, final on a Sunday, and all played in One stadium. The 2 NASL teams could play a qualifier at an earlier juncture.

If you think about it , thats in effect what the FA have done with the FA cup, except its a little more spread out.

To me it would seem far easier to sell that as a weekend Festival of Candian Soccer to the casual fan rather than having a schedule only the truely commited really cares about.

More exact results

From Wednesday April 24, 2013

Toronto - 11043

Edmonton - 2836

Last years semifinal numbers. TFC vs Montreal, Edmonton vs Vancouver

TFC - 15016

Edmonton -2777

Montreal - 13405

Vancouver - 15011

By my quick eye count, it felt like there were a lot more fans at Commenwealth this year as opposed to last year.

Guest ClaytonA

http://www.edmontonsoccerfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=847&sid=1b6699886e8cf5589fe08b4efab9658e&start=50

One more comment on the game... I went by the FO today to pick up my tickets. In their view, the game was a massive positive. I brought up the fact that the attendance seemed off, and was told that there were only two gates that were ripping ticket stubs off, so they could only count what they had. Apparently some of the FO thought that there was 4000-6000, while others were more optomistic at 6000-9000. Either way, it felt to me that the crowd was comparable to TFC in 2011, which would mean more along the lines of 6000. According to the FO, the idea of releasing an estimate was tossed around, but because they can't give an exact number, they're just sticking with the 2800 that they announced at the game. Which is too bad, because there was OBVIOUSLY more than that.

Shot I saw of the crowd looked like there was probably twice as many people as last year so this seems reasonable. Remember the D2 days in USL-1 when the L'impact and Whitecaps, (or probably even Blizzard) relied on quite a bit of match day volunteer help?

By my quick eye count, it felt like there were a lot more fans at Commenwealth this year as opposed to last year.

I can confirm this... I talked to the FO today, and they told me there was only 2 gates that were actually collecting tickets (new system this year, no scanning, as the club isn't using Ticketmaster). Club unofficially figures there was anywhere from 3500-7000 (large range is due to some optomism... I figure 4-6000 was a more accurate estimate). They haven't announced or posted any of this, as they can't give more than an eye estimate.

Basically, Edmonton did WAY better than last year. No one knows how much better though.

I was wondering about that, masster. I sort of figured it was just my imagination; that the crowd was just more concentrated this year or something. But if they didn't collect the tickets from all the entries then huh.

When I get home I might try to compare the video from last year and this one.

If the numbers they are collecting are going to be lower than the actual (and we saw this with the San Antonio game too), then they REALLY need to do a better job of collecting the right numbers. It's a year where the future of the franchise could depend on the numbers they get.

Funny, when a team declares a sell-out despite being hundreds of empty seats visible people at most chuckle, and when Edmonton apparently under-reports their attendance it's a WTF moment.

The number which really matters is how much money the club gets in its bank account.

Funny, when a team declares a sell-out despite being hundreds of empty seats visible people at most chuckle, and when Edmonton apparently under-reports their attendance it's a WTF moment.

The number which really matters is how much money the club gets in its bank account.

If you under report ticket sales and attendance you can make a taxable ticket income into a cash business income, simply done if you print your own tickets on pre-printed stock, and eliminate bar codes and serial numbers to tickets.

Such ticket manipulations occur world wide, the goal being to not put the money in the bank .. at least not a domestic one.

Guest ClaytonA

Or more likely, this is an owner that's trimmed costs including the ridiculous fees charged by entities such as Ticketmaster and is going through some growing pains implementing their own system in the first home game.

If you under report ticket sales and attendance you can make a taxable ticket income into a cash business income, simply done if you print your own tickets on pre-printed stock, and eliminate bar codes and serial numbers to tickets.

Such ticket manipulations occur world wide, the goal being to not put the money in the bank .. at least not a domestic one.

And here I was thinking they were simply bumping up their numbers by counting all season ticket holders as being in attendance, whether they've attended or not bc those seats have been paid for. I like your theory better. It's more interesting.

Archived