Canadians abroad: February 1-7, 2013

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 1-7, 2013.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

REB not in the squad for Eintracht's win in Paderborn. Considering that Elabdellaoui and Petersch (who came back from long-term injury and scored a goal) had pretty good debuts and Kruppke is injured (once he comes back there will be one spot less for the other offensive players, since Kruppke is a total lock to play), it looks like Randy won't get much playing time right now.

In the Czech Republic, Arthur Sarapov played in the friendly for Kladno today. They defeated Stechovice 5-3. Kladno play in the Czech 3rd division.

He played another game. He scored a goal, but they lost 3-2 to Dobrovice. His fourth goal so far for Kladno during winter training.

Bundesliga

Hamburger 0-2 Eintracht Frankfurt

Occean stayed on the bench. It was the debut of former Wolfsburg striker Srdan Lakic and he scored twice. Occean is now the 3rd striker on the depth chart behind Lakic and Matmour.

2. Bundesliga

Cologne 2-1 Erzgebirge Aue

McKenna played the whole match

Cyprus

Paphos 1-4 Alki (Issey)

Nakajima-Farran started and got subbed out during the 58th minute.

APOEL 2-0 Nea Salamis

Klukowski played the full match.

Netherlands

PSV 1-0 ADO den Haag (Halftime)

Atiba starts at right back

Regensburg lost 5-1 and JDG played the whole game. They are 8 pts out of safety and 4 pts out of a playoff game with a B3 team.

I have to say that, from what I saw, JDG looked pretty good, especially considering it was his first game with his new teammates. He was IMO, one of the best players on his team ... perhaps not saying much, but he definitely held his own against a team that is near the top of the B2 table. If Regensburg gets relegated, I'm hoping he can sign with another B2 team.

Turkey

Fenerbahce 1 - 2 Sivasspor

Milan Borjan backstops Sivasspor to the win.

Borjan let in a few bad goals earlier in the season but seems to be playing really well at the moment with a tie and a win against powerhouse Fenerbahce in the last week. Some nice saves in this one, no chance on the goal and once again an amazing kick to his striker from goal to send him alone on Volkan (though the striker screws it up but he should have scored). Canadian keepers have always had poor distribution skills as long as I can remember but Borjan's distribution is right up there with the very top keepers in the world. (And sorry to harp on Hart but Borjan played in the game against Honduras at home where we needed a goal and were having trouble breaking down their defence. At the time as I pointed out here Borjan was doing these amazing passes to the forwards every second game in Turkey and even when they don't score it really unsettles the defenders and midfielders of the opposite team. That Hart did not have the attackers try to pull this off with Borjan at least once in the game really shows how poor, unimaginative and dare I say amateur :) our coach was.) And with Borjan regularly experiencing the intense atmospheres playing against Fenerbahce, Galatassaray and Besiktas, he will be one player not intimidated in Central America and hopefully will be able to provide some leadership to any players who are intimidated. If Borjan can continue this level of play, cut down on the soft goals, work on his positioning and reading of aerial balls then hopefully in the not too distant future we might see him at one of the big Turkish clubs or one of the big European leagues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yynPtoTpemc

Maybe this belongs in the previous weeks highlights but for comparisons sake here is the Turkish Cup game against Fenerbahce from earlier this week. Note the first offensive chance is again started by one of Borjan's long kicks to the attackers. A couple of nice saves but having watched this game live, the best save from Borjan was surprisingly not included in this highlights video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0cIWI8Di0

Rob played the whole match but didn't score. His name appears a few times in the Kicker match report, but someone else can decipher it. Seems like he had some chances and missed them.

I watched most of the match and thought he played quite well. He did have a few chances, especially 2 quite good ones, both in the 1st half IIRC. One was a shot from inside the 16 saved excellently by the opposing keeper, I believe, ... can't recall exactly what happened on the other, but I think it was a header.

Regensburg lost 5-1 and JDG played the whole game. They are 8 pts out of safety and 4 pts out of a playoff game with a B3 team.

JDG received a 4 from Kicker which means not terrible but below average. On the other hand when the team loses 5-1 no one is going to get a very good mark. One Regensburg player got a better mark 3.5 and two others got a 4 while the rest of the players got worse marks. Here is a picture of him from the game.

260x195_q7m1bNVlCB.jpeg

JDG received a 4 from Kicker which means not terrible but below average. On the other hand when the team loses 5-1 no one is going to get a very good mark. One Regensburg player got a better mark 3.5 and two others got a 4 while the rest of the players got worse marks. Here is a picture of him from the game.

Hopefully he can be a more positive influence to the team once he's more used to their system, but at this point it really does look like that team is relegation fodder.

Netherlands

PSV 7 - 0 ADO Den Haag

Hutchinson played 90 minutes.

I looked at the sports section in De Telegraaf today (it might have been from yesterday), and I saw a section rating the players' performances throughout the Dutch league. Atiba was a 6.5, which was the PSV average from their win over ADO. There was another list tracking the season ratings totals, for the purposes of determing the season's best player (according to this paper). Atiba is tied for 20th on the list, which is a good sign of, at a minimum, consistent performances at a good level.

Those are good numbers from Haber and nice to see.

Assuming Haber continues his run of form, and Friend continues to get minutes with 1860 and pots a few goals, and Occean starts to convert a few after having plenty of chances with Frankfurt, do we call all 3 for the Japan friendly?

No. Only Haber. Occean is a bad influence and both he and Friend are too old. Daniel Haber is the other striker we should be calling.

Balotelli is a bad influence and you won't see Italy dropping him. We NEED Occean, there is no way around it and even though he may seem to have a bit of an attitude it could be A LOT worse.

I hate to write someone off but IMO there is no way that Marcus Haber will ever be at the level of Occean. He has good numbers this year and I'm happy for him but if he's going to be a MNT regular going forward I think we're in trouble. I agree that both Habers deserve a look in March (if Daniel can get some first team minutes).

Archived