Montreal Impact changes for 2013

Alberto7

So who's the NEXT most impressive Impact player possibly to get a contract, since Impact does seem to show an interest in signing and playing homegrown players. Anthony Jackson-Hamel comes to mind...Grizz, some of you impact guys, who's the next most likely candidate?

Zakaria Messoudi signed yesterday from the Academy. Described as a player with superior technical abilities, with outstanding vision.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/06/montreal-impact-signs-midfielder-zakaria-messoudi-homegrown-player

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

How's that Anthony Jackson-Hamel kid doing in the U-21? Anyone watching their academy teams? Tissot and Ouimette popped out of nowhere to me, I find it hard to find info, but I'm definitely curious.

Impact don't get talked about enough around here :)

Nesta and Ferrari are looking old and tired, and Camara is getting more and more prone to gaffs as he tries to get forward. I wonder if reinforcements on the back line are in the cards.

Personally, I think it's more than just being tired. This club, minus the 2-1 victory away to Sporting KC, hasn't been the same since winning the Voyageurs Cup. Having said that, I think this team really needs a Pit Bull has a central defender.

The Impact also have mentioned that they have 12 players under contract for 2014. Note that Marco Di Vaio and Davy Arnaud are not on that list. Alessandro Nesta has already said that the will retire at the end of this season.

The big question now is what will happen with Nelson Rivas. The two loans give some space to acquire an American or a Canadian player, but unless they get a INT spot or waive one international player, they can't really buy a foreign player.

Bush, Perkins

Brovsky, Camara, Ferrari

Bernier, Felipe, Mapp, Nyassi, Smith, Warner

Wenger

Frees up about $120 000 in salary but both players have American citizenship so unless there is another move we would have to sign a Canadian or American player. We might be able to bring Valentin back from his loan which might be as good a player as we could expect for that salary. I assume that loan was made mostly for salary cap reasons but we certainly could have used Valentin many times this season so far. Ubiparipovic is a bit unlucky in that he rarely plays but usually looks pretty good when he does. Our midfield is just too strong for him to crack. He would be a good guy for a team like TFC to go after as a good depth sometimes starter type of player.

The Impact also have mentioned that they have 12 players under contract for 2014. Note that Marco Di Vaio and Davy Arnaud are not on that list. Alessandro Nesta has already said that the will retire at the end of this season.

The big question now is what will happen with Nelson Rivas. The two loans give some space to acquire an American or a Canadian player, but unless they get a INT spot or waive one international player, they can't really buy a foreign player.

Bush, Perkins

Brovsky, Camara, Ferrari

Bernier, Felipe, Mapp, Nyassi, Smith, Warner

Wenger

I don't know about the rest of you but I have been unimpressed with Perkins this year. He has been leaking goals lately. Why can't they give Bush a chance for a game and see what he can do? The funny thing is that Ricketts, who was traded to Portland for Perkins, is having the season of his career this year!

I don't know about the rest of you but I have been unimpressed with Perkins this year. He has been leaking goals lately. Why can't they give Bush a chance for a game and see what he can do? The funny thing is that Ricketts, who was traded to Portland for Perkins, is having the season of his career this year!

I don't think that the goals were his fault, to be honest. The only problem I have is his distribution, but Bush isn't that much better from what I've seen of him in the past 3 years.

Actually he has let in quite a few weak goals recently. Perkins was pretty good for the first couple of months of the season but has had a decline in form recently that probably not coincidentally coincides with the dip in form of our defence crew. I am not totally convinced our defenders are playing worse than at the beginning of the season, I think partly that teams have figured out their weaknesses and are exploiting them which is a bit scary because that is hard to fix. Perkins and Ricketts are opposites, Ricketts is athletic but very unpredictable and a poorly schooled keeper who will make amazing saves and terrible errors. Perkins is less of a gifted shot stopper but is very well schooled and positioned and if the defence is steady he will stop those shots he should stop but if the defence is less steady his weaknesses as a keeper will be exposed. I would still take Perkins over Ricketts but I am surprised Bush hasn't had more of an opportunity even just to give Perkins a break during busy times in the schedule. At the very least they should be using Bush more just to challenge Perkins and keep him on his toes.

Actually he has let in quite a few weak goals recently. Perkins was pretty good for the first couple of months of the season but has had a decline in form recently that probably not coincidentally coincides with the dip in form of our defence crew. I am not totally convinced our defenders are playing worse than at the beginning of the season, I think partly that teams have figured out their weaknesses and are exploiting them which is a bit scary because that is hard to fix. Perkins and Ricketts are opposites, Ricketts is athletic but very unpredictable and a poorly schooled keeper who will make amazing saves and terrible errors. Perkins is less of a gifted shot stopper but is very well schooled and positioned and if the defence is steady he will stop those shots he should stop but if the defence is less steady his weaknesses as a keeper will be exposed. I would still take Perkins over Ricketts but I am surprised Bush hasn't had more of an opportunity even just to give Perkins a break during busy times in the schedule. At the very least they should be using Bush more just to challenge Perkins and keep him on his toes.

I agree with this. Ricketts is just wily and unpredictable. I would take someone like Perkins in net over him any day of the week.

When people evaluate keepers they get too much in awe of shot stopping and forget about everything else involved.

Case and point: Joe Bednik is a great shot stopper but he has one of the lowest pass completion rates in the entire league. It's about 20% less than the guys at the top of the scale. That makes a huge difference though the course of a game, although some of this is probably due to a conservative coach who always wants to hit the target striker and refuses to try and work the ball up field from the back.

That sort of reminds me of Borjan. Normally, his distribution is praised, but I saw none of that during this Gold Cup, and in fact, have seen it rarely watching him play live. To the point where Ledgerwood turned around to look at him in Denver and gave him a "what the hell was that" type gesture. Wrong forum for that, but yeah.

In Denver, Forrest made the point that it can be tough adjusting to the altitude. I still love Borjan as our keeper option.

The Impact have signed 26 year old Spanish center-back Adrian Lopez Rodriguez! He was developed by Deportivo La Coruna and also spent some time in England with Wigan. Welcome to Montreal!

Adrian-Lopez-Rodriguez_web.jpg

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/07/spanish-defender-adrian-lopez-rodriguez-joins-impact

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adri%C3%A1n_L%C3%B3pez_Rodr%C3%ADguez

• 2 weeks later...
That is very good news. Not MLS level and not much potential. Cost us two goals in DC. Better to give Tissot a chance than play Iapachino.

Agreed, he is serviceable at times but mistake prone and you don't need a guy like that interrupting homegrown youth integrating into the senior team. Especially costing an international spot. I just hope that we will see his dismissal resulting in more time for Tissot. So far they are not seeming too keen on inserting our young players very often.

Agreed, he is serviceable at times but mistake prone and you don't need a guy like that interrupting homegrown youth integrating into the senior team. Especially costing an international spot. I just hope that we will see his dismissal resulting in more time for Tissot. So far they are not seeming too keen on inserting our young players very often.

Agreed. Iapichino had his fair share of chances to impress, but just seemed to get worse with every outing. Tissot should have had some of those chances, but I guess they don't have enough confidence in our younger players. As for Iapichino, great guy and all, but I suspect he enjoyed the Montreal Night life a little too much, and that's never acceptable for a professional athlete, especially when the team isn't winning.

/////////////....... I just hope that we will see his dismissal resulting in more time for Tissot. So far they are not seeming too keen on inserting our young players very often.

Tissot isn't ready yet in my opinion probably should have been loaned out.

Tissot isn't ready yet in my opinion probably should have been loaned out.

That maybe true though I think it remains to be seen. However, I would also say Iapichino was not ready for MLS and probably never will be. We got both him and Felipe from the Swiss 2nd division but Felipe was a young foreign player there who was playing below his level and probably would not have remained at that level very long. I never saw any potential in Iapichino from the first game with the Impact and do not understand why we signed him. He will likely be a career Swiss 2nd tier player. On his absolute strongest games Iapichino was merely adequate, most of the time he was simply not an MLS level player. He reminds me of so many players that TFC signed over the years.

I see a lot of potential in Tissot and even if he is not ready I would certainly rather have a 21 year old home grown player making $35 000 who is not ready but who has a lot of potential than a 23 year old taking up an international spot and making $110 000 who is not ready and does not seem to have much potential. But hopefully if Tissot will not play much even given Iapichino is cut he will be loaned out in the near future.

And we still need another striker. You can't expect to do anything in the playoffs with only one striker capable of scoring. In the first half of the game against Chicago we really saw what a failure it was playing Paponi as the striker in a diamond formation. I don't think either his or Pisanu's loans should be extended past this season. Wenger is another striker who can not score. I think we really need to clear out our forward position at year's end though it would be a lot better if we could do it now and bring in at least one other player who can provide a threat besides DiViao.

Archived