Montreal Impact changes for 2013

Alberto7

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment we are at capacity for Intl roster spots...Does anyone see any movement? Also what are your draft picks for the Impact? I really like Bekker so far also I think we will draft a forward for sure. Zavaleta (big target forward or central defender)? Bennett? (also Canadian passport)

At the moment we are at capacity for Intl roster spots...Does anyone see any movement? Also what are your draft picks for the Impact? I really like Bekker so far also I think we will draft a forward for sure. Zavaleta (big target forward or central defender)? Bennett? (also Canadian passport)

We have 2 international slots left, we have 10 total and only 8 internationals

The Training camp roster was announced.

Draft picks Blake Smith, Fernando Monge and Brad Stuver will be in camp. The other draftee, Paolo Del Piccolo, is right now trialing at Eintracht Frankfurt and will be absent for now.

Nick Zimmerman, who played the last 2 years with the Railhawks and scored 15 goals last season, is the only trialist not drafted by the Impact nor a member of the Academy.

5 players from the Academy will be in camp. GK Maxime Crépeau, D Maxim Tissot, MF's Zakaria Messoudi and Wandrille Lefevre and FW Mircea Ilcu. One of them will sign a contract with the first team unless the team signs another Canadian player not yet at camp.

The Impact have right now 22 players under contract.

The Training camp roster was announced.

Draft picks Blake Smith, Fernando Monge and Brad Stuver will be in camp. The other draftee, Paolo Del Piccolo, is right now trialing at Eintracht Frankfurt and will be absent for now.

Nick Zimmerman, who played the last 2 years with the Railhawks and scored 15 goals last season, is the only trialist not drafted by the Impact nor a member of the Academy.

5 players from the Academy will be in camp. GK Maxime Crépeau, D Maxim Tissot, MF's Zakaria Messoudi and Wandrille Lefevre and FW Mircea Ilcu. One of them will sign a contract with the first team unless the team signs another Canadian player not yet at camp.

The Impact have right now 22 players under contract.

Del Piccolo has just signed with Frankfurt

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/22/american-exports-delpiccolo-signs-bundesliga-club

Does anyone else think that this year is going to be a huge let-down compared to last year? I just can't see us doing better than last year with the guys we have, but especially with the unproven euro-trash coaching. In my memory, no euro coach has ever won anything in the league have they? I expect disaster...

Anyone else think that montreal should make a pitch for Russell Tiebert. He could do well for us on the wing, in a position where we've been weak! Also, I keep wondering if Iaine Hume wouldn't join the team as a striker and super-sub at some point. what a great leader to have on the team as well.

Cheers,

I think we have a pretty good team...we added some much needed quality and depth at the offensive midfielder/winger position with Pisanu, got rid of our worst players during the year (Wahl, Braun, Thomas, Ricketts, Fucito and so on) and this season most players will already know each other so the chemistry should be way better and it wasn't too bad already, especially at midfield.

+ We have some pretty decent young players : Wenger, Felipe, Warner, Ouimette, Iapichino, and hopefully we can add Smith to that list as we need some depth on the left side...

Ya I think Blake Smith will make the first team as for other draftees maybe Monge especially since our attack is a tad thin (barring any signings) On D we look alright (if we stay healthy) Center Mid not bad but we need Bernier/Felipe to play on there heads also I'm hoping for a big year for Mallace. On wings Pisanu adds some depth for sure but I'm not sure what this Swiss coach is going to do with Mapp & Arnaud. I cannot see a European coach playing a slow RM (Arnaud) I see him losing his starting spot to Pisanu and maybe bringhinh him on as second striker here and there.

Does anyone else think that this year is going to be a huge let-down compared to last year? I just can't see us doing better than last year with the guys we have, but especially with the unproven euro-trash coaching. In my memory, no euro coach has ever won anything in the league have they? I expect disaster...

Anyone else think that montreal should make a pitch for Russell Tiebert. He could do well for us on the wing, in a position where we've been weak! Also, I keep wondering if Iaine Hume wouldn't join the team as a striker and super-sub at some point. what a great leader to have on the team as well.

Cheers,

No I'm with you, we are in the rebuilding stage. But I mean, with 4 years till the next qualifying, a LOT of players' positions could change in very positive ways, so let's be optomistic.

How's the left back depth at Impact? Since Vancouver apparently doesn't want this guy, maybe Montreal can look into a young Canuck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scWwGny944U

Isn't Flo still in University? It's not like the Impact can sign the guy. If he signs with MLS now, he would have to go through a lottery draft. (Or does he?, that's how I understand the ruling)

Neagle is gone to Seattle for an international spot. I thought Neagle was a useful player at times and had some ability though I am not overly upset at losing him either. Still I don't really like losing a guy who is still fairly young and was useful to have on the bench who was at a very low salary and took almost nothing off the salary cap for what is really nothing. I am also not totally comfortable with the Impact appearing to become FC Europa or FC Italia. I guess the positive side is we can't go on forever collecting international spots and at some time if we have less mediocre Americans on the team it should give some more opportunity for young Canadians.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/01/impact-acquires-international-spot-seattle-midfielder-lamar-neagle

Don't be so sure...Here is a tweet from Joey Saputo after Neagle trade, "The lastest trade now opens the door to go after a foreigner; will he be from Europe or South America? My bet is South America. Stay tuned"

South American..anyone have any ideas?

Don't be so sure about what? Yeah we will sign some international player with the spot we got for him but it is still a trade for essentially nothing other than the right to negotiate with a larger player market. And if we sign someone better than Neagle in the international market he will probably be on a much larger salary so we will have cap problems and need to trade more useful players for allocation space. Having cheap young players who can still play fairly well even if they are depth players is a big part of winning in MLS and Neagle fit the bill very well. I am not convinced our new European/international bent is a great way of building the team long term. And what quality of player are we going to get on the international market for the $44 000 salary Neagle was making anyway?

Don't be so sure about what? Yeah we will sign some international player with the spot we got for him but it is still a trade for essentially nothing other than the right to negotiate with a larger player market. And if we sign someone better than Neagle in the international market he will probably be on a much larger salary so we will have cap problems and need to trade more useful players for allocation space. Having cheap young players who can still play fairly well even if they are depth players is a big part of winning in MLS and Neagle fit the bill very well. I am not convinced our new European/international bent is a great way of building the team long term. And what quality of player are we going to get on the international market for the $44 000 salary Neagle was making anyway?

Oh don't get me wrong I agree with you (Neagle), I was just saying that "maybe" next signing will not be European thus at least probably cheaper...

Oh don't get me wrong I agree with you (Neagle), I was just saying that "maybe" next signing will not be European thus at least probably cheaper...

Europe is the most expensive place to find players but South America is not exactly cheap anymore either. South America is pretty well scouted including the prospects so you are not going to get a really great player unless you find a diamond in the rough or take a chance on a youth player who may or may not turn into anything. Indeed I think probably the cheapest place in the world to sign someone decent is North America. Where else are you going to get a decent player who can sub in in certain types of situations and do well as well as start when injuries and keeping the squad fresh during heavy parts of the season for $44000?

If we are going to replace a guy like Neagle by Canadians/Academy players, I would be happy. However, if we are going to fill the team up with high priced foreigners how are we going to sustain this long term and fit under the salary cap? If we are going to fill up the team with mediocre South American players or South American prospects then I think we would be better off keeping Neagle. For every gem that MLS has plucked from South America there have also been an awful lot of players that were not very good.

Europe is the most expensive place to find players but South America is not exactly cheap anymore either. South America is pretty well scouted including the prospects so you are not going to get a really great player unless you find a diamond in the rough or take a chance on a youth player who may or may not turn into anything. Indeed I think probably the cheapest place in the world to sign someone decent is North America. Where else are you going to get a decent player who can sub in in certain types of situations and do well as well as start when injuries and keeping the squad fresh during heavy parts of the season for $44000?

If we are going to replace a guy like Neagle by Canadians/Academy players, I would be happy. However, if we are going to fill the team up with high priced foreigners how are we going to sustain this long term and fit under the salary cap? If we are going to fill up the team with mediocre South American players or South American prospects then I think we would be better off keeping Neagle. For every gem that MLS has plucked from South America there have also been an awful lot of players that were not very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Henrique_Chagas_de_Lima

One of Brasils up and coming mid fielders, but look at his history, from the Northeast...played with local club to 15 switched to bigger local club Paysandu, then on the radar of Santos where he developed into a full fledged pro, then sold to Sao Paulo.

If clubs in MLS scout those players in the smaller clubs in Brasil they can identify and be ready to scoop up talent at age 18, when they can sign a pro-contract, indeed MLS clubs might want to think about bringing 15, 16 and 17 year olds north for summers to study english and play in academy programs or be assigned to local clubs fielding youth teams in provincial level leagues.

Making the contacts early, treating the player well, well demanding excellence can get you some bargains that can then be commercialized for later profit.

The Canadian MLS clubs are not going out and finding raw material to develop then sell on.

TFC has for example has been at the business of football for six years, about time you would have seen a sell on of young talent if it had been drawn in at 18 ...or indeed at 16.

Its a side of the game that the MLS clubs in Canada have been naive about so far, perhaps it will change in time.

Archived