Montreal Impact changes for 2013

Alberto7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Henrique_Chagas_de_Lima

One of Brasils up and coming mid fielders, but look at his history, from the Northeast...played with local club to 15 switched to bigger local club Paysandu, then on the radar of Santos where he developed into a full fledged pro, then sold to Sao Paulo.

If clubs in MLS scout those players in the smaller clubs in Brasil they can identify and be ready to scoop up talent at age 18, when they can sign a pro-contract, indeed MLS clubs might want to think about bringing 15, 16 and 17 year olds north for summers to study english and play in academy programs or be assigned to local clubs fielding youth teams in provincial level leagues.

Making the contacts early, treating the player well, well demanding excellence can get you some bargains that can then be commercialized for later profit.

The Canadian MLS clubs are not going out and finding raw material to develop then sell on.

TFC has for example has been at the business of football for six years, about time you would have seen a sell on of young talent if it had been drawn in at 18 ...or indeed at 16.

Its a side of the game that the MLS clubs in Canada have been naive about so far, perhaps it will change in time.

Yes if we want to become a development club for young Brazilians instead of young Canadians we could take that approach. And it is also far from as easy or rosy a picture as you are presenting. We have to compete not only with the European clubs heavily scouting Brazil but also the Brazilian clubs themselves who can now afford to keep their top talent. The Russian league has really scouted South America heavily and gotten some good players from there but for every Vagner Love (the guys you hear about) there have been an awful lot of duds as well. And the Russians are very good scouts so if we are going to succeed at that we need to have just as good scouts as they do and from what I can see our current scouting team in South America seems to be Joey Saputo and Nick deSantis. Not to mention that the Russian clubs have much better systems of development in place. So if we did the job properly we might be able to make some decent money finding and developing Brazilian talent and becoming a development club for Brazilians. We could also spend a lot of money on young Brazilians and get a lot of duds. And regardless of which outcome would result, I think we should be searching for and developing undiscovered Canadian not undiscovered Brazilians.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of which....

ORLANDO, Florida – The Montreal Impact announced on Thursday that Argentinean forward Andrés Fabricio Romero has been acquired on loan from Tombense Futebol Clube, which owns his rights, for the 2013 MLS season. He will officially be added to the roster upon receiving his International Transfer Certificate (ITC). As per club and Major League Soccer (MLS) policy, details of the contract will not be disclosed.

Attacking and versatile player

Romero, 23, joins the Impact after spending the 2012 season in the Brazilian first and second division. He concluded the year with Clube Náutico Capibaribe, appearing in six games in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. He began the season in Série B with Criciúma Esporte Clube, where he played nine games in Campeonato Catarinense, including two starts, and two Copa Kia do Brasil games.

“We’ve been talking about looking for an attacking player, a forward/winger, that is versatile and Romero fits that role,” said Impact sporting director Nick De Santis. “He’s played at a very high level in Argentina and Brazil. He’s at a good age and now it’s up to him to acclimatize to a new style of soccer. I think he’s going to bring a lot of speed and good technical qualities that will help make this team better.”

Romero made his professional debut in 2008 with Asociación Atlética Argentinos Juniors, in the Primera Division, the Argentinean first division. In three and a half seasons with the Buenos Aires-based club, he recorded four goals and four assists in more than 40 games. He helped the club win its third Clausura title, in 2009/2010. He also played seven games in the Copa Sudamericana, including five in 2008 when the team reached the semi-finals.

Internationally, he played five games with the Argentinean U20 National Team, including two starts in the U20 Campeonato Sudamericano, held in Venezuela.

Romero will count as an international player on the Impact roster and is travelling with the team to Florida today.

ANDRÉS FABRICIO ROMERO

Position: Forward

Height: 5’9

Weight: 160 lbs.

Birth date: December 21, 1989, Bell Ville, Argentina

Place of residence: Bell Ville, Argentina

Former club: Bell Ville, Argentina

Acquired: February 7, 2013

Impressive performance by a young Canadian today for the Impact in Maxim Tissot. Great pass to set up Wenger for the winning goal in a 2-1 victory. A creative defender who can pass, something the national team could sure use.

Soccer by Ives had a complimentary tweet about his performance as well.

First I don't think there is much a MLS academy could do for Brazilans as far as development goes. I think we should concentrate on the Canadian kids because that is an untapped market and they are closer to home. That said if we can find some 16-18 year old diamonds in the rough and get them some development and citizenship I would not object. The depth in Brazil is such that a lot of MLS capable (and CMNT) players won't get noticed by the clubs much less their national team. Finding them before the local and Euro clubs do will be a tall task. That is where having someone down their full time coaching or assistant coaching could be a great source of information.

• 3 weeks later...
You know the delay in getting the 3rd Canadian really leads me to believe it will be one of the U-20 players that is away in Mexico right now, most likely crepeau

I`m not sure. Crepeau is good goalkeeper, but he`s not as useful than Maxim Tissot, who has played his share of his minutes with the first team in preseason, right now for the Impact. Is Crepeau going to sign in Montreal? Eventually. Does it have to be now? I doubt it. Anyways, tomorrow night, they will announce the full roster for 2013, as well as a 3rd kit. (I`ve heard it`s a throwback of the 1993 uniform with black and blue stripes.)

Yes, I agree the third Canadian will likely be Tissot. Stuver, the keeper they drafted has played a bit in pre-season so he may well be the 3rd keeper. They may prefer keeping Crepeau with the U21 team where he will get a lot more action than as 3rd keeper on the 1st team. Crepeau is still only 18 so I think they can be patient with him.

I also think people saying that Ouimette and if signed, Tissot, will just be making up the numbers are wrong. I think they will both get a good amount of playing time this year for players of their age breaking into the 1st team. We got rid of most of our back up defenders this year without replacing them including some decent players like Shavar Thomas who played a fair bit last year (not who you want as a starter but a guy who could come in when needed and do a pretty good job). As we know our older CBs are injury prone. I thought Ouimette was very impressive during last year's pre-season but did not seem ready when he came in during the season. However, he was also playing out of position at RB/LB (both in 2012 pre-season and season) and he is really a CB. This pre-season they have played him at CB and barring another signing it seems like he may at least partially take over Thomas' role as backup CB.

I have been really impressed by Tissot and he appears to be one of the best distributors on the team, setting up several pre-season goals. FB is not really our strongest position so I think there is opportunity there. Brovsky improved a lot during the season and is now a solid MLS FB but he is still far from being a star player. I like Valentine a lot especially with his speed and distribution but he is still a young player prone to defensive mistakes. Camara makes me nervous whenever he plays defence, he makes some great plays but is also mistake prone and an over-agressive red card danger. I like Camara's skills but would rather him in defensive mid. And Iapichino has been pretty average so far, doesn't look out of place but hasn't shown much potential so far to be more than a backup. So I am expecting both of these young players to get some time during the course of the season once injuries and fixture congestion set in.

Impact's 3rd jersey have been unveiled. Black and blue vertical striped kit. At 1st glance, the one thing I don't like is the stripes don't go all the way up the back.

I understand the reason they chose the kit but I think it is very boring and I would have liked to see something with imagination.

Simon Borg is a douche. 1998 ??? Really, How about 1993 +20 = 2013. And WTF is the Can Am Cup?

That was a cup in the mid 2000 (03-04) that we played teams like Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse, in the USL-1 season. (A bit like the V`s Cup prior to 2008)

Archived