Who's our #1 GK?

Scottie

This might be the only good conundrum we have going into WCQ. Milan Borjan has been red hot in the Romanian league with 9 straight wins to finish the season, and 7 clean sheets in 15 appearances for Vaslui. Kenny Stamatopoulos seems to have won a starting job at AIK, having made 5 straight starts in the Swedish top division. And there's also the ever-reliable Lars Hirschfeld who has been starting for Valerenga in the Norwegian top flight. So who does Hart go with?

When was the last time we had three keepers in camp all starting at a decent level? Remember how in the 2007 gold cup Pat Onstad was an emergency call-up for the injured Greg Sutton, and when Onstad got hurt we almost had to play Robert Giacomi? In 2008 WCQ we went with Onstad again since we had no one else in a starting job, period. For the 2009 gold cup we played a pine-riding Sutton. Isn't this a relief in comparison?

Discuss. (My vote is for Borjan btw)

Borjan. We have to take a chance because the same old methods will give the same old results. Lars has never "won" a game for us (that I can recall in recent memory). Interesting note, Kenny always seems to be on the fringe and has been around forever and I think we think of him as an old timer. Lars is almost a year older than Kenny.

I like Borjan as well, should get the start against the US. Lars has had some shaky moments for the Nats lately. Bad goal against the US in the Gold Cup and the long range goal allowed against St. Lucia in WCQ. Borjan hasn't been perfect but I like him better on long range shots, it's balls in the mixer that make me nervous because he likes to chances and get involved.

Again I think I lot of these decisions should come down to who does better in the US game and at the camp in Florida. I mean it's pretty difficult to compare the stats between these leagues and performances until Hart actually gets to see each keeper play alongside each other.

Though I do think it will still be Lars, I hope Borjan gets a very good look in - mainly because I love his "I love Canada" interviews.

Borjan. We have to take a chance because the same old methods will give the same old results. Lars has never "won" a game for us (that I can recall in recent memory). Interesting note, Kenny always seems to be on the fringe and has been around forever and I think we think of him as an old timer. Lars is almost a year older than Kenny.

For me, he was the top eye drawer last year in the Gold Cup, and did awesome against the frantic latinos...mostly because of his good jumping, he was able to pull down EVERYTHING in the box against the shorter opposition. Young legs will do well. Vote is still Borjan.

Except the most important goal against of the tournament against Panama at the death. Don't know if you remember that one or not.

Again, love him. Hope he grabs the job by the neck and takes it all to himself. That would be nice for once instead of the question of who will hurt us the least.

Ride the hot hand. The two are fairly close and I understand the arguments for and against either: ultimately I think all we can do is go with whichever one has confidence, both in himself and from the team, at the moment.

I think Lars and Borjan are two keepers of very similar style and ability. Both are great acrobatic shot stoppers who are not good on aerial balls and have a propensity for bad gaffs. As a shot stopper I would still give Lars a slight edge, however, I think Borjan needs to start because his world class distribution abilities would give us an edge and offensive danger that we otherwise do not have. Borjan can deliver long accurate balls to players at any part of the pitch. When he was in Turkey even the defenders of the big clubs were totally unnerved by this. It was a set play from Sivaspor to try and break someone out 2 or 3 times a game and have Borjan deliver a long kick to the striker. It occasionally resulted in goals but more importantly made the opposing defenders and defensive mids play back and be afraid to join the attack. This could be an awesome weapon for us with our difficulty in penetrating the final third and with Occean, Jackson and DeRo all being capable of getting free and taking a long pass. It also would help us on the defensive side since we are very prone to losing coverage on players joining the attack late. Do this in the first 2 or 3 minutes of a game against Honduras and Panama and they will have to adjust for it which will be to our advantage whether we can score or not off it.

Unfortunately I think Hart is uber-conservative and dull and will not do this. I expect he will start Lars and even if not will not instruct Borjan to do this. Borjan could do it on his own initiative if there is an opening but I think he needs to be told to do it early in the game even if the chance is not that great just to scare the opposing defenders and make them play differently.

I think whoever is clearly better in training and in the U.S. game (I'll bet they each get a half) gets the start in the real games. But if it's a toss up in any way, it goes to Lars based on experience. He has been in so many more games against Carribean and Central American clubs that I think it counts for something.

Also, I see people saying they love Borjan's attitude and I agree, but I don't really think anyone can make any claim that Lars hasn't been very good when it comes to the program. He answers the call when it comes. You never see him interviewed so he does not tend to make those kind of pro-Canada statements, but I expect he is similarly motiviated and inspired when pulls on the kit.

Jason

Also, I see people saying they love Borjan's attitude and I agree, but I don't really think anyone can make any claim that Lars hasn't been very good when it comes to the program. He answers the call when it comes. You never see him interviewed so he does not tend to make those kind of pro-Canada statements, but I expect he is similarly motiviated and inspired when pulls on the kit.

Jason

That's a good point. Let's not forget that Lars showed up at the pub after a game and bought drinks for several V's in Edmonton that one time. (really wish I hadn't left town right after the game that night btw)

Lars has never "won" a game for us (that I can recall in recent memory).

Definitely not recent but I'm thinking his acrobatics in getting us to penalties vs the US in the GC 02 semi may count somewhat as "stealing" one. But as for recently I haven't been that convinced. Actually, both these guys look capable of an Onstadesque lapse at a key moment.

A guy professing love for Canada or a guy buying supporters post match beers: quite the selection criteria there.

Base on those criterias i think many V's would hav e a good case to start in goal for us!

I think Milan has more talent than Lars and will probably have a better club carrer but right now it's really a toss up between Those 2. The best in training and the US game should start!

I'd pencil in Lars but it's certainly open to debate. As has been mentioned unless Hart sees something happening with Borjan in practice which sets him out clearly ahead of Lars go with the more experienced keeper, even if that experience has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. That's life under the woodwork.

Base on those criterias i think many V's would hav e a good case to start in goal for us!

I just got a chuckle out of the way that discussion was going.

But as you say right now for keeper choice it's a "pick'em". Unfortunately it might boil down more to someone losing the job through an error as opposed to someone winning it (i.e. Lars getting the hook after the US game last year)

What does Tomer Chencinski need to do to get noticed by Hart? He had a great start to the season and while it seems he may have lost his starting spot, he has strengths that our WC team really needs. Namely, distribution. Maybe he's not the answer but considering how none of the usual 3 or 4 keepers seems to be stepping up in a strong way, I say bring in the fresh blood.

What does Tomer Chencinski need to do to get noticed by Hart? He had a great start to the season and while it seems he may have lost his starting spot, he has strengths that our WC team really needs. Namely, distribution. Maybe he's not the answer but considering how none of the usual 3 or 4 keepers seems to be stepping up in a strong way, I say bring in the fresh blood.

I've noticed Tomer too..but completely disagree that none of the usual keepers seems to be stepping up in a strong way in terms of club play. I think the exact opposite regarding all 3 keepers that are called up, and if you read this thread, I think that's a common sentiment.

Have you seen Milan distribution? World class!

Currently the 3 keepers in camp have all good club season, while Tomer club is struggling. My guess is that SH knows about him but felt his current situation wasn t enough to displace one of Lars, Kenny or Milan.

Archived