Tony Fonseca New High Perf Director

TFCRegina

Didn't see this posted anywhere

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4993

Tony Fonseca: new High Performance Director - Men’s

Tony Fonseca, new High Performance Director - Men’s

Photo: Paul Giamou

The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased to announce today that Tony Fonseca has been named High Performance Director - Men’s.

In this newly created role, he will be responsible for expanding and enhancing the development of high performance programming in Canada for the Men’s National Team Program from U-15 through to the U-20 levels as well as the Futsal and Beach Programs. Fonseca will also continue in his role as the Men’s Olympic (U-23) Team Head Coach and Assistant Coach to the Men’s Senior National Team.

“We are excited to have such an experienced authority in international soccer as both a player and coach enhance his current role with the Canadian Soccer Association in such an important portfolio,” commented Canadian Soccer Association General Secretary Peter Montopoli. He added that “the true value of having Tony join our senior management team is that he not only has the international experience but is one of the country’s top technical minds that will bring our game to the next level.”

A former Portuguese international with playing experience at the top levels of European soccer including participation in the UEFA Champions League, Fonseca began his youth career in 1978 with S.L. Olivais and moved on to famed club S.L. Benfica at both the youth and senior levels. He moved to Canada in 1999 to play for the Vancouver 86ers before starting his coaching career in 2000 following his retirement as a player. He became Head Coach of the Vancouver Whitecaps in 2002 and took on the role of the organization’s Technical Director in 2004. Fonseca holds a Canadian Soccer Association License A Coach certification.

“I believe in the potential for soccer in this country and am honored to have the opportunity to play a key role in influencing its development and ultimately Canada’s performance on the international stage,” commented Fonseca. “I look forward to working with our provincial partners, National Training Centres and professional teams to ensure that the pathway for player development ultimately leads Canada to success on the pitch within CONCACAF and FIFA.”

With Canada’s National Teams, Fonseca served as Assistant Coach at the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup (Canada reached the semi-final stage), the 2008 CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualification Tournament (the team finished third), the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup (Canada reached the quarter-final stage) and most recently at the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup and Round 2 of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Brazil. He has also served as Canada’s Head Coach at the 2009 Jeux de la Francophonie in Beirut, LIB and the 2009 CONCACAF Men’s U-20 Championship in Port of Spain, TRI.

------------------

Somewhere Miro Kliment is raging

I'm a little concerned that the CSA has so many of its coaches doing double duty: Sean Fleming leading the NTC, Stephen Hart serving as technical director, now Fonseca... I know it's all financial but this seems like a more useful area to invest in than home friendlies. Quality high-performance coaching could make a difference for generations down the line.

As long as he names an actual futsal coach with international credentials to lead the Canadian National Futsal Team when the decision comes in I will be pleased. He has named BC's Sipho Sibaya (Former Beach Soccer Team Player) as the interim coach to watch the ID Camps this past week.

I suspect Fonseca wanted more money and the only way the CSA could find money in the budget was by doing this.

I've heard stuff like this come out before about other coaches. I always wonder what their leverage is to ask the CSA for more money.

"If you don't give me a raise, I'll coach that local amateur club team, god help me I'll do it!"

I've heard stuff like this come out before about other coaches. I always wonder what their leverage is to ask the CSA for more money.

"If you don't give me a raise, I'll coach that local amateur club team, god help me I'll do it!"

No kidding. And i wonder if the people running the CSA actually know how many highly qualified coaches there are on this planet.

• 5 years later...

"Canada Soccer announced today that it has released Director, High Performance, Tony Fonseca effective immediately.

Fonseca joined Canada Soccer in 2006 on an interim basis as an Assistant Coach with the Men’s National Team before becoming a full-time staff coach including responsibility as Head Coach with the Men’s U-20 and U-23 Teams in 2008. He was named Director, High Performance for the Men’s National Team Program in 2011 and became the organization’s Technical Director in 2012 before transitioning to his most recent role as Director, High Performance.

Canada Soccer would like to thank Tony for his years of service and for his professionalism and commitment to the development of the game in Canada."

The million dollar question: What was the role of the high performance director? Do we need one? Could the money be better spend on getting a better technical director and/or youth coaches?

18 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

The million dollar question: What was the role of the high performance director? Do we need one? Could the money be better spend on getting a better technical director and/or youth coaches?

I assumed that they were just clearing the position for Rob Gale after his stellar performance in Costa Rica.

18 hours ago, jpg75 said:

While I do not have specific knowledge about how the CSA uses a high performance director, generally such a position is responsible for much of the behind the scenes performance issues.  They would develop policies and standards: from settings goals and developing a plan of what is to be achieved (e.g. make it to the hex, which involves getting the team to the semis at the GC and playing high quality teams that represent a CONCACAF style).  They would also be involved in player selection committees, and work with with identified players/organizations to ensure that they are performing at the desired level (e.g. if we want to make it to the Hex, we need this type of player as part of the back-four. Let's go out find suitable players for the back four and work with them).  Basically, the coach/manager is responsible for the on field issues (training, player's relation, selection, tactics), and the high performance director is responsible for all the lead up to the players taking the field, as well as ensuring everyone is moving in the same direction.

The model has been successful in many other places.  Swim Canada separated the high performance duties from the national team coach role in 2013.  3 years later, Canada saw a lot of success in the pool in Rio.  I would argue the difference with the CSA is that Swim Canada imported someone who has a successful track record of doing the same thing in the UK.

So do we need one? - I would argue yes - more than ever.  On this forum we discuss the relevance of certain friendly, or even the goal cup (e.g. do we want a full time coach in place for the GC or does not matter? should we use a give friendly/tournament to try out newbies or do we rely on experience?)  The fact supporters ask such questions suggests that the CSA at best does not communicate their performance objectives and worst has no answer for the same questions.

Thinking back... What have our youth teams done in the last couple of years that would say we are being successful at High Performance?

We've had our worst years in ages and potentially that is because of a host of other things (movement of youths, previous years bad talent building) but his whole goal is to give us high performance teams, and what we have is consistent losses in qualifying tournaments. We know Victor Montagliani is leaving and I wonder if he just wanted to clean the slate a bit for whomever follows him.

On 01/03/2017 at 4:53 PM, jpg75 said:

Looks like this article from last week answered this question.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/tony-fonseca-canadian-soccer-association-1.4007572

"The Canadian Soccer Association has no plans to hire a new high-performance director in the wake of firing Tony Fonseca.

It appears Fonseca was the victim of a changing landscape at the national governing body.

The appointment last September of Jason deVos in the new position of director of development, combined with possible added responsibilities of the new national men's team coach, is seen to cover the territory previously handled by a high performance director. "

• 1 month later...

Going to YRSA 

http://www.yrsa.ca/director-soccer.html

Tony Fonseca Appointed as YRSA Director of Soccer

The YRSA Board of Directors is pleased to announce the appointment of Tony Fonseca, who will join the YRSA as Director of Soccer.  In this role, Fonseca will lead YRSA Clubs and leagues, and will be responsible for the promotion and development of soccer at all levels within our district.

"I’m looking forward to starting as Director of Soccer for the YRSA and to working together with all Technical Directors and Head Coaches” Fonseca said. “Our mission will be to maximize potential and make sure that player interests are at the top of every decision." 

Most recently the Technical Director of the Canadian Soccer Association for 5 years, Fonseca is a former Portuguese international player who played at the top levels of European soccer, including the famed Club Benfica.  In 1999 Fonseca moved to Canada to dedicate his time and focus towards elite level coaching and in 2000 became the Assistant Coach for the Vancouver 86ers. In 2002, he accepted the Head Coach position of the Vancouver Whitecaps and in 2004 embraced a newly created position becoming the Technical Director for the Vancouver Whitecaps. From 2006 to 2008 Fonseca held Assistant Coaching positions with the Men’s National and Olympic teams.  In September of 2008 he became full-time Staff Coach and Head Coach of the Men’s U20 Team, Men’s Olympic Team and Men’s National Team. In 2011 Fonseca was named Director of High Performance (Men) and in November 2012, accepted the position of Technical Director of the Canadian Soccer Association to chart the course and set the vision for all aspects of the game.

Tony Barbieri, President of the York Region Soccer Association said “We are excited to have Tony join the YRSA team as our new Director of Soccer.  The level of knowledge he possesses around the game from grass roots to the international level is outstanding. Tony's experience as a player at the International level speaks for itself. He has worked as a coach in Canada since early 2000 and therefore also brings a very strong knowledge of our soccer landscape.  He knows and understands our game locally and will be a great addition to our YRSA family.”

Fonseca will officially join the YRSA team on May 29, 2017.

Archived