Canada vs. England Match Thread

Keegan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Brethers

I'm really pleased for them, and a proud Canadian. Great fight against England and some players looked good out there for us. Roberts looked good, ignoring the goal he scored I thought he had a really good game out there. The goal is just icing

Regardless of that goal at the end I was going to say this has to be the strangest keeper I've ever seen. The England keeper ran out of his box for balls he had no business going for several times, is he the coaches son? He made a save on Aleman at one point and out ran his full back to the sideline to kick the rebound up field.... wtf?

Kibby, I had the same feeling as you when I saw our keeper advancing like that and I was saying to myself he should send a ball directly to the keeper, this will be tough to deal with on a rainy day.

As for the game, I liked some of the buildup we've done at times but we were struggling creating clear chances and it's not like we didn't have time to do that. I like Alderson a lot, good central mid. Aleman is an enigma to me, he can be really good and really bad.

Roberts in goal was solid but he isn't at Crepeau level.

Okay so what do we need now. We're -3, England is +2, Uruguay +4, Rwanda -3. How can we move on? We need to win by a good margin and England needs to lose by a decent margin.

We win the next game and we should be in. A team with Four points is almost certain to advance.

As for the game, I liked some of the buildup we've done at times but we were struggling creating clear chances and it's not like we didn't have time to do that. I like Alderson a lot, good central mid. Aleman is an enigma to me, he can be

really good and really bad.

Roberts in goal was solid but he isn't at Crepeau level.

I would concur with this.

Good match overall. Need to work on our passing and movement a bit more in the final third but at the minute I'm so excited about that result.

scared the **** out of my missus twice in that half as I'm watching this online in the early morning in a hotel room in Hong Kong. haha love it!

I recorded the game, but I also wish I had recorded myself predicting earlier in the game that the keeper might score for us. I don't know if it was the rarified atmosphere up there but I could see that the keeper kicks were absolutely being powered down the pitch and that a goal this way might be possible. I don't blame the English keeper as he had to play the possible deflection like our own keeper did.

We obviously caught a bit of luck - but karma's a ***** for the nation that steals one of our best players in the first meaningful match we played them on the men's side at any level. But we put ourselves in a position where a bit of luck might make the difference. I think England may have taken us a bit lightly after they scored or dropped their guard (but then, so many teams do after they score) because I can't believe they just let Aleman shoot like that from distance (which is really what caused our first goal). Perhaps they didn't scout him and realize that this kid can crack them from distance - but as his goals at the qualifying stage are available on the internet, that's a bit of lazyness on the part of the English coaching staff if that's the case.

Frankly I thought England had more skill & speed than Uruguay and that we were more likely to concede and unable to compete against this team - which isn't a surprise when you consider how many pro clubs they can draw players from vs. how many we can. However, we cut out the major mistakes, the Ref didn't buy any cheap dives in the box, got a bit of luck and that made all the difference from 3-0 to 2-2. We showed good character to come back twice. I have few concerns about the squad other than the apparent lack of depth in the striker spot - Jalali got his goal, but there aren't any players from the pro clubs that we can try at striker? Mind you, with the injuries I guess subbing him off was the right move.

Well done to all the boys - they did Canada proud, and what a way to get the pointless streak over with! As someone who saw one of the three previous goals we scored in this tourney (by Guido Titotto in a 2-1 loss to Qatar at the U17 tourney we hosted in 1987 at Varsity in Toronto), it's been a long time coming to get that point and to see two goals scored in the same half, never mind the same game!

Ahead of this game I went to the BBC website to see if they had any previews or coverage of the English squad and to see what they were saying about Canada. I couldn't find a single bloody article - the only one I found was actually covering Rwanda's loss to England from the "African" football section. So I'm not expecting to see headline coverage of this in the UK websites since they don't seem to care at all about this tourney in the slightest, but I have to wonder if the nature of the tying goal and "England gives Canada its first ever point" will be embarassing enough to get some coverage in the UK press.

Archived