Canada vs. England Match Thread

Keegan

Finally we get a point in this Tourney, Ok the goal was a bit lucky but so what. I do see some positives for this team, but they still have problem with maintaining possesion, and giving the ball away easily, but that comes with time and experience. Aleman has to start using his team mates more often, But I am very happy Hell any point you get from England is good for me.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great result for us, as bizarre as it was! I felt we had periods when we looked decent after the first 30 minutes and although England had some great skill we held our own for the most part! It was an ejoyable match to watch, not just because of our result but because it was a match played in good spirit by two sporting teams as opposed to the crap we see in CONCACAF against the diving drama queens!

Just to add to that, I thought the ref was fantastic, played the advantage well and let the kids get on with the game! The biggest mistake I think he made was giving us that free kick at the top of the box late on when I really didn't see a foul!

A great result for us, as bizarre as it was! I felt we had periods when we looked decent after the first 30 minutes and although England had some great skill we held our own for the most part! It was an ejoyable match to watch, not just because of our result but because it was a match played in good spirit by two sporting teams as opposed to the crap we see in CONCACAF against the diving drama queens!

Excellent point, it was a great match and awesome fairness by both teams. Unlike the diving and crap we see from Teams like Guatamuala, Honduras, And of course The U.S.A.

Just to add to that, I thought the ref was fantastic, played the advantage well and let the kids get on with the game! The biggest mistake I think he made was giving us that free kick at the top of the box late on when I really didn't see a foul!

On the replay you could see the England player got the ball first but also got our player ankle which cause him to fall. I think that was the right call. Too bad we couldn't score on that FK, a win would've been incredible.

Excellent point, it was a great match and awesome fairness by both teams. Unlike the diving and crap we see from Teams like Guatamuala, Honduras, And of course The U.S.A.

To be fair, some of our players did in fact dives today. The ref bought none of it.

Diving is something I see every time I step on the field in Canada...we aren't exempt of it.

I'm really surprised that they let a guy who came on for an injury take it, I thought for sure Aleman was going to have it

There was good power on that shot, too bad it was straight in the middle. I also thought it would be Aleman FK to take.

I'm really surprised that they let a guy who came on for an injury take it, I thought for sure Aleman was going to have it

The announcer stated, while the cameras were focused elsewhere, that there was an argument amongst the canadians over who should take the free kick. To be fair, it was very well taken.

Frankly I thought England had more skill & speed than Uruguay and that we were more likely to concede and unable to compete against this team - which isn't a surprise when you consider how many pro clubs they can draw players from vs. how many we can. However, we cut out the major mistakes, the Ref didn't buy any cheap dives in the box, got a bit of luck and that made all the difference from 3-0 to 2-2. We showed good character to come back twice. I have few concerns about the squad other than the apparent lack of depth in the striker spot - Jalali got his goal, but there aren't

any players from the pro clubs that we can try at striker? Mind you, with the injuries I guess subbing him off was the game!

I thought that the difference between the two sides was that Uruguay was more tactically raw and gave us more space to work but if you look at actual scoring chances, Crepeau had t make some great stops whereas Roberts didn't. Whereas with England, you got a sense that closer to being professionals in that their tactics and preparation looked better and there were spells where they closed us down much more effectively than Uruguay. UnlikeUruguay, I think that there was a point in the game where they went to sleep and we were able to capitalize.

That would explain the oddity in that we looked better in a game that we lost 3-0 but looked worst in a game that we drew 2-2. Our second half was pretty good, but the first twenty five mins of the first, we looked overwhelmed.

So according to this score line we can say that our 3 team academy system is equal to their 92 team professional academy system...maybe for tonight.

Our 3 team academy system in a sport the best athletes in our country don't play drew their 92 team academy system in a sport which their best athletes do play.

Food for thought.

SoccerOnly and I were watching the match at the Football Factory and initially, we both agreed with you. No foul thinking that our player has just fallen as he did his 360 pivot over the ball but the replay clearly showed that the England player definitely got his foot it on the Canadian causing the fall.

It was a good call.

From the fifa.com match report...

"The historic goal not only gives Canada their first point in a FIFA U-17 World Cup, but is also the first goal scored by a goalkeeper in any FIFA finals competition."

I guess they know best, but I'm surprised.

This U17 team has been great...I like Essa.

Roberts looks strong in net while England's goalie looks a bit shaky.
I read this thread from the start only after watching the game, and this post made me laugh (in a good way).

For future reference, Ive just found out you can watch the streams on the FIFA website.
You can in the UK, but we can't in Canada.

[snipped image of David Seaman]

Yeah, Seaman immediately came to my mind as well.

I'm working on the full match, but I thought there might be interest in a quick video of just the goals:

All Goals (45MB)

Or in an even quicker video of just one goal (to watch ten times in a row like I did :D ):

Goal by Quillan Roberts (10MB)

From the fifa.com match report...

"The historic goal not only gives Canada their first point in a FIFA U-17 World Cup, but is also the first goal scored by a goalkeeper in any FIFA finals competition."

I guess they know best, but I'm surprised.

Wow, yeah, that is surprising. I can see this being the first goal of its kind, but no keeper has ever scored on a PK? or from a CK/FK when pressing for a late equalizer? Hmm.

Wow, yeah, that is surprising. I can see this being the first goal of its kind, but no keeper has ever scored on a PK? or from a CK/FK when pressing for a late equalizer? Hmm.

While we're at it, can someone confirm to me that we have another World Cup record with Paul Dolan being the youngest keeper ever to start a WC game? Thanks.

Archived