Canada vs. England Match Thread

Keegan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was beaten down by our first 47 minutes but very pleased with the ultimate outcome. For Eric "who can turn a silk purse into a sow's ear", these are very good quality English kids playing in this tournament. I can't imagine you are much of an athlete, and certainly make a mess of the English language, but until the early 90's Canada never sent it's top quality hockey players to international junior events because of the strong lobby from WHL, OHL, QMJHL.....substitute EPL/Champions League clubs and you catch my drift. English football now recognizes the importance of these youth development tournaments and they are making serious efforts to ensure a quality side. Just embrace the good result Eric, lighten up, you are obviously very knowledgeable about the game, but really, a bit of support wouldn't kill you....or would it?

Yesterday, it was wall to wall soccer on TV in Canada, our boyz got a result against the English, our WNT is poised to make some inroads with worldwide attention, and Eric's Whitecaps magic has hit 5M hits on Youtube....things are looking up, time to get with the program Eric.

First of all, I can't imagine you are much of an athlete either, and certainly you're NOT the English teacher either, so come down to your level.

If the FA doesn't send their top players, it's their problem, all I can talk about is the players I saw on the field, I'm obviously not english and I don't know if they have anything better than what they show at the game, back home. So unless you can provide that information, name of players, club they play for and reliable info that they are u-17s, your guess is as good as mine.

You seem to be very informed about the efforts the FA is making to recognize the "importance of these youth development tournaments" as you put it, isn't a little late to realize that now? the rest of the world has recognize that in the 1980s? sorry dude, the FA has their head up their ass and they think their **** don't stink, that's why they're average. Now the sad thing is that the CSA takes them as an example of how to move forward with our players and coaches development....very sad and it shows.

I want Canada to win every game, just like probably you and every other Canadian soccer fan wants, but I don't wrap my head with the flag and ignore what's really going on. Garden, now you get with the program.

Guest Brethers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2007173/England-U17-draw-Canada-freak-goal.html

Some English coverage!

Eric, ffs this is our first ever point in the U17s world cup and it was against England who, like it or not, have a high standing in world football. If you fully support Canada then you wouldn't be dismissing this as a naff result against a crap team. I was so proud as a Canadian when Roberts' kick went in. I'm not ignoring what really is going on, I saw some promising play and promising youngsters draw a team who has pedigree in producing top talent (some of their players have first team experience, Redmond for one and the Brighton player).

More coverage

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/pickfords-unique-error-means-england-u17s-wait-for-qualification-2301886.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2007173/England-U17-draw-Canada-freak-goal.html

Some English coverage!

Eric, ffs this is our first ever point in the U17s world cup and it was against England who, like it or not, have a high standing in world football. If you fully support Canada then you wouldn't be dismissing this as a naff result against a crap team. I was so proud as a Canadian when Roberts' kick went in. I'm not ignoring what really is going on, I saw some promising play and promising youngsters draw a team who has pedigree in producing top talent (some of their players have first team experience, Redmond for one and the Brighton player).

More coverage

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/pickfords-unique-error-means-england-u17s-wait-for-qualification-2301886.html

Thanks for the links, although the accuracy of that Independent piece leaves a bit to be desired. Case in point:

"With three minutes of the match left England were set for a victory that would take them into the knock-out stages when Roberts took a free-kick well inside his own half. "

Wrong! I've now seen several sources state this, but this absolutely did not happen. Roberts got the ball from a back-pass from one of his own teammates. England could have challenged him at any time in his own 18-yard box, never mind at any point after he took the ball out of it and nearly made it to centre-half with it - but they chose not to. This is in fact the biggest error England made on the play, and yet this article doesn't acknowledge it, putting all the blame elsewhere. And I still don't understand why they are faulting the England keeper on Canada's first goal - he wasn't the person who let Aleman shoot unmolested from outside the box, and I can't imagine how any keeper would have been able to hang on to that shot which was low, hard and angling into the corner of net had he not got a hand to it.

Brethers, I understand this is our first ever point in the U17s world cup. Now the fact that it was against England makes me more happy, because shows how crap of a team they were (at least in this game). I would agree this is one of the most talented and cohesive Canadian teams I've seen in a long long time (for which I congratulate Patrick Tobo who is the coach that put this team together using the OSA provincial program) but we can't be so complaisant with this fluky result, please, you can't be proud because a hoping ball kicked into the box which took a normal bounce in raining conditions but the keeper happen to misjudge it for the third or forth time in the game, ended up going in! you should be happy and pleasantly surprise about that...but proud? give me a break.

Now when you say "I saw some promising play and promising youngsters draw a team who has pedigree in producing top talent" I can only agree with the "some promising play and promising youngsters" part, because the top talent part I completely disagree, what top talent? compare their top talent with the real top talent in the rest of the world (including the foreigners in the EPL) and let see where they rank. And when you say "(some of their players have first team experience, Redmond for one and the Brighton player)" that ads even more to my point, we don't have any players with first team experience and we still got a positive result against them!

It's ok though, believe whatever you want to believe, buy whatever TV and British articles sell you but I will never buy that crap because I know the game and I believe only in what I see. I hope the CSA takes account of what Patrick Tobo has done with this team over the years and gives him an opportunity to coach his own team, so he won't have to be given most of the information to the players during the game and at practices behind the shadow of yet an other politically appointed coach.

So let me get this straight? the Canadian team is crap, except that Mr. Tobo did an amazing job with them? And now you are wanting Tobo, who coached this crap team, to now take over another team???

The team is playing better than any other team we have right now, and since 2007 GC. Tobo is surely a great guy and coach. He surely did an excellent job.

But you can't have it both ways - the team can't have been excellent with Tobo and Tobo having done a great job, and yet the team is crap. Oh ya, you were mentioning we have no top players but are crediting Tobo with their development.

Get yer story straight.

ps-not sure when I mentioned anywhere that I am a supporter of TFC at all other than to say (paraphrase) "kids training in a professional environment for 2 years are probably influenced by that coach".

^ Obviously you didn't read what I wrote properly, I've never say that Canada was crap, I said England was, based on all the fluff and fuzz they make about their team in this board. Is that straight enough for you?

PS. I kind of agree with your PS, yes players should be influenced by a coach if they've been with him for at least two years, but it doesn't have to be a professional environment necessarily.

Thanks for the links, although the accuracy of that Independent piece leaves a bit to be desired. Case in point:

"With three minutes of the match left England were set for a victory that would take them into the knock-out stages when Roberts took a free-kick well inside his own half. "

Wrong! I've now seen several sources state this, but this absolutely did not happen. Roberts got the ball from a back-pass from one of his own teammates. England could have challenged him at any time in his own 18-yard box, never mind at any point after he took the ball out of it and nearly made it to centre-half with it - but they chose not to. This is in fact the biggest error England made on the play, and yet this article doesn't acknowledge it, putting all the blame elsewhere. And I still don't understand why they are faulting the England keeper on Canada's first goal - he wasn't the person who let Aleman shoot unmolested from outside the box, and I can't imagine how any keeper would have been able to hang on to that shot which was low, hard and angling into the corner of net had he not got a hand to it.

I thought the England keeper made an excellent save at full stretch on Aleman shot. How in the world is he supposed to catch that or control the rebound??? He did the maximum he could do with the shot IMO.

Let me guess, you saw Tobo yelling a few times from the bench during the broadcast and now you think he's really the brains behind the operation?

No dude, I saw Tobo working for the OSA provincial program for the last 4 to 5 years, and I saw how he trained and made it to the Nationals finals with many of the players you see here now, and others that made other national teams. Don't be so quick to jump when you don't know the facts.

I thought the England keeper made an excellent save at full stretch on Aleman shot. How in the world is he supposed to catch that or control the rebound??? He did the maximum he could do with the shot IMO.

The England keeper made an excellent save period. The surface of the field was wet and that ball was going in. What I don't know for sure is if our striker meant to hit the volley downwards or he missed kicked the ball :) either way that was a beautiful goal.

Thanks for this. I have yet to see the goal or pick up on the articles. From what I can gather from your consise commentary this smacks of a typical peice of failing to close down and to play through the 90th minute.

Typical Schoolboy error on that one England.

"I hope the CSA takes account of what Patrick Tobo has done with this team over the years and gives him an opportunity to coach his own team, so he won't have to be given most of the information to the players during the game and at practices behind the shadow of yet an other politically appointed coach."

Wow, I don't know if you know that much Eric, but Tobo was fabulous, I liked him barking instructions and maybe Fleming allows that freedom from his staff rather than you insinuating some "conspiracy" or poltical patronage. You are a bit out there, take an anger management course and you'll do well in life. You obviously have great information, a passion for the game and some insightful remarks, but we lose your message through the venom by which you make your remarks....tone it down and people will listen. As for the remarks about a "duel", you aren't in my league I can guarantee that.

Garden, don't guarantee anything cause you'll lose, I can assure you of that.

Don't patronize me either cause you really don't know what you're talking about, stick to the gardencity maybe you can talk about soccer in that side of the country, but about what happens in Ontario, you obviously have no clue.

I wondered the same thing - miss-hit or purposeful into the ground. My bet is miss-hit!

I would say on purpose, I have coached U-12 boys who try it when in close. It works and you don't have to worry about skying it, every striker should have this shot in his arsenal.

The England keeper made an excellent save period. The surface of the field was wet and that ball was going in. What I don't know for sure is if our striker meant to hit the volley downwards or he missed kicked the ball :) either way that was a beautiful goal.

Whether it was mis hit or deliberate, it went in and looked good in doing so.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the striker.

Guest Brethers

He had good composure on that volley, could easily have skied it over. Ok proud was a little excessive, but living away from Canada for so long I like them to give me some stuff to cheer. I just don't see why you are putting such a downer on this, their U17s have played at a professional level in the English leagues which shows ability on the behalf of the players to play in competitive, physical leagues at that young an age. And sorry but Rooney, Owen, Gerrard, Shearer, Linekar, Platt, Gascoine weren't world class? And that's only a few of the names I could have chosen

Guest Brethers

quite possibly. Let's not forget John Barnes, he was a quality player. Stuart Pearce and David Seaman were top notch as well

Archived