Canada vs. England Match Thread

Keegan

not so much doom and glom from my point of view... i've enjoyed some of the build up play and I have never seen Canada keep possession and build up slowly against a good opponent like they have on a few moves today...

England only made it to two previous u-17 world cups, they're not a good opponent.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, given how much things English (especially football) are respected in these parts, it is a bit surprising the fact we tied them is not being played up. If we had lost our 14th match in a row at the U17s, I'd bet we'd see it in some paper. But anyway, I'm hoping the Quillan Roberts' goal will make some highlight packages tonight.

What do you really expect them to say? that they are worst than Canada? I doubt it, and if they say that what are our CSA instructors going to do with their master books? throw it away and look down south for better teaching? I doubt that too...

England only made it to two previous u-17 world cups, they're not a good opponent.

What do previous generations of U17 have to do with their team now? England has one of the largest pools of talent to choose from in the world... they are a very good team. Their two wingers scared me everytime they touched the ball, the announcer said the right winger has a contract through to 2014 with Birmingham and already has 3 appearances with their first team... so ya, they are a good opponent.

If Whitecaps want to sign him, then they need to compensate Toronto FC since they own Aleman's MLS rights.

They should compensate the clubs that really develop Aleman not the one that wants to take credit for it, the kid run away from them anyway....why do they deserve anything?

They should compensate the clubs that really develop Aleman not the one that wants to take credit for it, the kid run away from them anyway....why do they deserve anything?

Ya I'm not sure it has to do with the development, I think but I could be wrong obviously that the compensation would have to do with Vancouver reaching into Toronto's territory for a player.

It has nothing to do with compensating development. TFC own his MLS rights, if Vancouver wants Aleman they will have to trade for his rights. It's the same scenario as Colorado faced when trying to sign Josh Janniere this spring.

What do previous generations of U17 have to do with their team now? England has one of the largest pools of talent to choose from in the world... they are a very good team. Their two wingers scared me everytime they touched the ball, the announcer said the right winger has a contract through to 2014 with Birmingham and already has 3 appearances with their first team... so ya, they are a good opponent.

What does one of the largest pools of talent to choose from in the world has to do with anything? if they don't know what to do with it.

And according to you because they signed one of their own to a pro contract makes him a top player? we don't have a pro league, otherwise two or three of our players would be sign to pro contracts too!

We'll see what happens in the next game that England has to play against a much smaller country with a very limited pool of talent to choose from.

It's not about the numbers, it's about the coaching and the quality of the players.

Ya I'm not sure it has to do with the development, I think but I could be wrong obviously that the compensation would have to do with Vancouver reaching into Toronto's territory for a player.

Yes I know they don't have to compensate the youth club that developed him because in Canada we don't have a professional structure, otherwise FIFA stipulates in their rules a set amount of dollars per each year the players was at his youth club.

It seems odd that TFC can release a player, yet still hold onto his rights. TFC has handled this particular situation (Aleman and Company) very poorly, IMO, and it will do them no good down the line. I do feel for the fans that keep turning out and providing the greatest value to the franchise (supporter culture and Gameday atmosphere).

Yes I know they don't have to compensate the youth club that developed him because in Canada we don't have a professional structure, otherwise FIFA stipulates in their rules a set amount of dollars per each year the players was at his youth club.

Eric - just stop it. Did someone break you favourite video game this week or something?

What does one of the largest pools of talent to choose from in the world has to do with anything? if they don't know what to do with it.

And according to you because they signed one of their own to a pro contract makes him a top player? we don't have a pro league, otherwise two or three of our players would be sign to pro contracts too!

We'll see what happens in the next game that England has to play against a much smaller country with a very limited pool of talent to choose from.

It's not about the numbers, it's about the coaching and the quality of the players.

They qualified for the U17 World Cup!! Spain isn't here, Italy isn't here... how can you say that England isn't a good opponent?? Common sense.

They qualified for the U17 World Cup!! Spain isn't here, Italy isn't here... how can you say that England isn't a good opponent?? Common sense.

I can say that because I saw them play two games already!

I can accept Spain as a good team who didn't make it to the WC but Italy made it to 4th place once in 1987! this isn't the men you're talking about, don't confuse tournaments please.

Just look at how the Netherlands have been doing and they made final with the men.

Also, whilst we get excited about this result. Go look for it in the English Media. Not a word. Mainly becauses it Wimbeldon fortnight, but also because there is little intrest in development level games.

The BBC is trying to big up the Womens World Cup, but their is little intrest in that as well. Its Cricket season for GAWDS SAKE!

Also don't you know, The English "don't do tournament football".

I can say that because I saw them play two games already!

I can accept Spain as a good team who didn't make it to the WC but Italy made it to 4th place once in 1987! this isn't the men you're talking about, don't confuse tournaments please.

Just look at how the Netherlands have been doing and they made final with the men.

I don't care about previous teams or tournaments, they are irrelevant!! These kids weren't even alive during the tournaments you are referring too.

England lost in the semis of the UEFA qualifying tournament... so seeing as according to you England isn't a good side is it fair to say that European talent is going downhill? Pfffft I can only imagine how awful Serbia must be if England beat them 3-0.... Let's get real here. England beat Rwanda 2-0 btw while Uruguay needed a 90th minute goal, Uruguay finished 2nd in CONMEBOL...

It seems odd that TFC can release a player, yet still hold onto his rights. TFC has handled this particular situation (Aleman and Company) very poorly, IMO, and it will do them no good down the line. I do feel for the fans that keep turning out and providing the greatest value to the franchise (supporter culture and Gameday atmosphere).

Well someone mention (reliable poster) on RPB forum said that Aleman hasn't exactly been easy to coach and he has been driving TFC coaches/academy management crazy. So I can understand why how things went down in the end. I hope Aleman somehow comes back to TFC though (he needs maybe mature bit first).

Well someone mention (reliable poster) on RPB forum said that Aleman hasn't exactly been easy to coach and he has been driving TFC coaches/academy management crazy. So I can understand why how things went down in the end. I hope Aleman somehow comes back to TFC though (he needs maybe mature bit first).

That may or may not be true but that has nothing to do with why he was released. He and some other players were released because they refused to sign their future away to TFC when they felt better offers may be coming. I agree with Gordon that the MLS rules concerning players rights are wrong and personally I would like to see them challenged in court. If a player is released by the team he should be free to sign elsewhere.

Haven't seen any coverage of the game in the local papers here or their respective websites as yet - which is unacceptable.
There's a short CP article on page S11 of the sports section of today's Toronto Star titled "Canadian kids tie England - Shocking late goal helps side earn historic result" (there's also a big photo from the Gold Cup semifinals :rolleyes: ).

The Star's Web site has a longer version of that article here as well as a video of Roberts' goal here. I haven't checked any other individual sites, but a Google News search for "quillan roberts" turns up many hits on Canadian, American and British news sites.

My father told me that the guys on the Fan 590 morning show talked about Roberts' goal.

Also, a friend of mine who doesn't go looking for soccer news and didn't even know about this tournament heard about this result and Roberts' goal -- I'm not sure where exactly, but it stood out enough somewhere in the midst of all the other sports news to draw his attention.

So coverage was not nil, though, yeah, certainly drawing England and scoring such a unique goal could/should have made a bigger splash.

Unrelated, the English FA's fairly extensive coverage of this match (preview, team sheets, minute-by-minute, match report, post-match comments) begins here. A gossipy tidbit from there: Canada's U17 assistant coach / Manitoba Soccer Association technical director Rob Gale is married to England's U17 head coach John Peacock's sister.

I was beaten down by our first 47 minutes but very pleased with the ultimate outcome. For Eric "who can turn a silk purse into a sow's ear", these are very good quality English kids playing in this tournament. I can't imagine you are much of an athlete, and certainly make a mess of the English language, but until the early 90's Canada never sent it's top quality hockey players to international junior events because of the strong lobby from WHL, OHL, QMJHL.....substitute EPL/Champions League clubs and you catch my drift. English football now recognizes the importance of these youth development tournaments and they are making serious efforts to ensure a quality side. Just embrace the good result Eric, lighten up, you are obviously very knowledgeable about the game, but really, a bit of support wouldn't kill you....or would it?

Yesterday, it was wall to wall soccer on TV in Canada, our boyz got a result against the English, our WNT is poised to make some inroads with worldwide attention, and Eric's Whitecaps magic has hit 5M hits on Youtube....things are looking up, time to get with the program Eric.

A gossipy tidbit from there: Canada's U17 assistant coach / Manitoba Soccer Association technical director Rob Gale is married to England's U17 head coach John Peacock's wife.

Married to the same woman? Geez, that would've been one tense household yesterday. I wonder who she was cheering for...

Married to the same woman? Geez, that would've been one tense household yesterday. I wonder who she was cheering for...
Pfft, what a stupid mistake! :o And I read that over a few times before posting it, too. :( It should be sister, of course.

While we're at it, can someone confirm to me that we have another World Cup record with Paul Dolan being the youngest keeper ever to start a WC game? Thanks.

Dolan set the record, but I had it in my head that it had been broken by Iker Casillas, but he was 21 in 02, so it wasn't him. after some googling it might still be Dolan. Interesting question.

The first England goal the backline dropped to the six yard box. The single person in the wall was just inside the penalty area. No way should we have allowed England to set up on the six yard box.

Archived