2011 Nutrilite Canadian Championship prediction contest [R]

Mods, if this is not kosher given recent discussions about blog spamming, please take this post down

As I have in previous years, I'm running a prediction contest for the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on my blog. Predict the score of each match, come the closest, win a prize. I had about 40 entries last year and I'm shooting for 50, so I'd welcome your entry.

If you want, post your predictions in this thread. For the semifinal round, I've got:

Montreal 1 - 1 Vancouver

Edmonton 1 - 2 Toronto

Toronto 3 - 0 Edmonton

Vancouver 2 - 0 Montreal

In my contest, you predict the final once the finalists are known. My guess for top scorer is Maicon Santos.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mods, if this is not kosher given recent discussions about blog spamming, please take this post down

As I have in previous years, I'm running a prediction contest for the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on my blog. Predict the score of each match, come the closest, win a prize. I had about 40 entries last year and I'm shooting for 50, so I'd welcome your entry.

If you want, post your predictions in this thread. For the semifinal round, I've got:

Montreal 1 - 1 Vancouver

Edmonton 1 - 2 Toronto

Toronto 3 - 0 Edmonton

Vancouver 2 - 0 Vancouver

In my contest, you predict the final once the finalists are known. My guess for top scorer is Maicon Santos.

I like how you have Vancouver playing Vancouver. I guarantee that Vancouver will win it :)

Montreal 1 - 2 Vancouver

Edmonton 1 - 3 Toronto

Toronto 3 - 1 Edmonton

Vancouver 2 - 0 Montreal

I'm hoping for TFC but but I don't think it will happen this year. Montreal is focusing all their efforts on this tournament only and Vancouver must be pretty hungry for this trophy by now and also have a squad with a team budget matching TFC. Anyways, I sent my picks in.

For those of you posting predictions in this thread, would you mind PMing me your email address so I can contact you all in a timely fashion before the final once the teams are known and get your predictions for those two matches?

Wouldn't a forum PM do the same thing? :)

Montreal 1 - 1 Vancouver

Edmonton 1 - 3 Toronto

Toronto 4 - 0 Edmonton

Vancouver 1 - 2 Montreal

Top Scorer: Stevanovic

Just an update on this. I've got 20 entries between this thread and the blog. Still over 2 weeks until the competition starts so you have time, but if you need to kill time at work on a Friday, put together an entry.

Or you might want to wait until after the weekend to see what kind of sides Edmonton and Montreal have this year.

Edmonton was quite impressive in their opening game - a 2-1 win on the road against Fort Lauterdale - I dont think theyll be pushovers.

Montreal, on the other hand, were horrible against Tampa. They usually do have slow starts but they'll need to play 200% better to have any chance of beating the caps. (will be at the game).

^ Bump.

Kickoff of the Voyageurs Cup is exactly 2 weeks away. I'm half way to my goal of 50 entries. Post your picks on the thread or follow the instructions on the blog post. If you read the post you'll see there is a prize for the winner. More prizes if I get a lot more entries.

In case you're wondering, the collected wisdom of Canadian footie fans has so far predicted:

- a Vancouver - Toronto final (83% of entries). Nobody has been so bold as to predict Edmonton advancing yet.

- Eric Hassli as Golden Boot winner (38% of entries). His strike rate is impressive, but he'll have to stay on the pitch. Next most popular choice is Javier Martina (21% of entries)

Is there an away-goals rule for the VCup???

Yes. Standard 2-leg rules are in effect (away goals, then 30 minutes extra time, the penalties). For the purposes of this contest, if second leg matches go beyond 90 minutes I'll be using the scores after 120.

Even as a TFC supporter, there's a part of me that wants FC Edmonton to whoop their asses.

I agree on that, and based on performances thus far, I think they will. At least at Commonwealth.

Montréal 3 - 1 Vancouver

Toronto 2 - 0 Edmonton

Vancouver 2 - 2 Montréal

Edmonton 1 - 1 Toronto

Edmonton and Vancouver move on, leaving eastern Canadians wondering what the hell just happened.

I agree on that, and based on performances thus far, I think they will. At least at Commonwealth.

Montréal 3 - 1 Vancouver

Toronto 2 - 0 Edmonton

Vancouver 2 - 2 Montréal

Edmonton 1 - 1 Toronto

Edmonton and Vancouver move on, leaving eastern Canadians wondering what the hell just happened.

Going by the results youv'e given, you have Montreal and Edmonton moving on. Is that what you mean? Also, do you have a choice for top scorer of the tournament?

Yes. Standard 2-leg rules are in effect (away goals, then 30 minutes extra time, the penalties). For the purposes of this contest, if second leg matches go beyond 90 minutes I'll be using the scores after 120.

Where did you hear this? The NCC site has the 2010 rules :(, and NASL/MLS typiclaly don't use away-goals as a tiebreaker for their knockout ties.

Going by the results youv'e given, you have Montreal and Edmonton moving on. Is that what you mean? Also, do you have a choice for top scorer of the tournament?

oops, had the scores reversed :P

Should read:

Montréal 1 - 3 Vancouver

Toronto 0 - 2 Edmonton

Vancouver 2 - 2 Montréal

Edmonton 1 - 1 Toronto

and my pick for top scorer will be Hassli.

Archived