WHITECAPS vs Philadelphia 26 March - SALGADO transfer approved!

Drew Shaw

I suspect that the Caps will come back down to earth this Saturday . . .

The good news is that Omar Salgado has been cleared by FIFA / CONCACAF to start playing for the Caps in full matches. What a great addition to the offensive options. I liked what I saw of him in pre-season . . .

Janicki looks like he will start in central defence. Who else will? Will Rochat draw in from the flank? Looks like we'll be a little undermanned at the back with DeMerit and Boxall away for international duty. Tiebert will play in Philly, and THEN join the U-20 squad.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much change is happening right before this game for things to go well tomorrow. I'd hate to say it, but combining the injuries, international call-ups, Philly's home opener and the atmosphere that'll go with it, AND the Nizar Kalfan situation, I don't think the Caps are going to have a pleasant day tomorrow.

Too much change is happening right before this game for things to go well tomorrow. I'd hate to say it, but combining the injuries, international call-ups, Philly's home opener and the atmosphere that'll go with it, AND the Nizar Kalfan situation, I don't think the Caps are going to have a pleasant day tomorrow.

I might actually agree with this one since Philly won their opener on the road. But what's the Kalfan situation? I must be missing something...

I might actually agree with this one since Philly won their opener on the road. But what's the Kalfan situation? I must be missing something...

Tanzania has an African Cup of Nations qualifier this weekend against the Central African Republic. The Whitecaps got a request to release him for international duty, but declined saying the request came in after the 14 day cutoff. Needless to say, the federation is saying otherwise.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201103240532.html

Additionally, Salgado has been grated his transfer certificate, but will not be available. He is at the U-20 qualifers.

Yeah, great news on the Salgado front he will get to play once he's back from the U-20's

I think the best set-up for the back 4 in Philly, would be Leathers-Janicki-Rochat-Wagner, with Harmse and Duckett to provide cover off the bench.

While Tiebert, Khlafan and Chiumiento will also be unavailable, leaving the midfield spots to most likely Knight, Dunfield, Thorrinton, and Camilo, I could see Koffie or Salinas(if he's healthy) slipping in as well.

I doubt the front two guys are changed from Harris and Hassli though.

I still see Caps getting at least a point in this game. I really believe teams are gonna underestimate Vancouver over the first half of the season.

Harmse got signed so the back 4 could be Rochat, Janicki, Harmse, Leathers which doesn't look that bad. With Koffie in front of them it is still a formidable bunch. Great to see Salgado get approval. I really didn't want to wait for September. Now the question becomes how do you utilize him? Sub in for Hassli with 20 minutes to go? Height for height and keep a speedy partner up front? Or do you put him and Hassli up top and move the Brazilian to midfield?

Rochat is just as much a centre half as he is a full back... Harmse is a central defensive midfielder... not a defender.

look for Harmse to be a depth centre mid... they have Boxall, Janicki, Rochat, Demerit and Alkoul (once healthy) for Centrehalf.

I predict the backline to be (until Salinas is fit)

Knight/Wagner-Rochat-Janicki-Leathers

Early Prediction

2-1 Vancouver in a scrappy game that's gonna see a handful of cards.

Goals by Hassli and Janicki

-----------------Cannon

Leathers-Rochat--Janicki-Wagner

------------Koffie--Dunfield

Knight-----------------------Khaflan?/Camilo

------------------Harris

-----------------------Hassli

Unavailable

Nolly (injury)

Salinas (injury)

Thorrington (injury)

Nanchoff (injury)

Chiumiento (injury)

Boxall (NZL)

Tiebert (CAN U-20)

DeMerit (USA)

Salgado (USA U-20)

Khaflan (TAN)? Was called by his country, but Caps denied saying it was past the cutoff, still up in the air FIFA is looking at it I believe

Though sitting from the stands last week I might be wrong on how the formation was to be honest, I think that's close.

Though I won't be suprised to be fully impressed by the Union and we drop points, they have definitely done some re-tooling in the off-season and on paper they look quite strong. Hopefully the high of winning on the road is trumped by the high of winning the 1st ever game in there existence.

Big morning for soccer though you got Wales vs England Euro Qual., followed by TFC vs Portland, then Caps vs Philly.

Ouch, that's a blow. 5 starters out from the opener now.

Nolly stood tall in the TFC game though I thought he got caught ball watching and flat footed on the Maicon goal, but my veiw was from the far south stands, so I might be completely wrong, it was a curling shot. Cannon is a veteran MLS goalie though we have seen Sutton and Onstad put up good games this year already, no reason Cannon can't either.

Will be nice to watch on TV and get a better perspective of the actual team position on a whole, tough from behind the net.

Yes, I think we will come back down to earth, but am of course hoping otherwise.

Ouch, that's a blow. 5 starters out from the opener now.

Nolly stood tall in the TFC game though I thought he got caught ball watching and flat footed on the Maicon goal, but my veiw was from the far south stands, so I might be completely wrong, it was a curling shot. Cannon is a veteran MLS goalie though we have seen Sutton and Onstad put up good games this year already, no reason Cannon can't either.

Will be nice to watch on TV and get a better perspective of the actual team position on a whole, tough from behind the net.

Didn't you record the first game? Somebody posted links on another thread so you can do so.

For those who are interested and aren't aware, I usually do a couple gameday posts on Eighty Six Forever for each Whitecaps match. Today we have my traditional News and Notes post on the Whitecaps and Union injuries, international callups (nothing you guys probably aren't already aware of) and my game day post proper where I analyze the game itself. I have the Union handily winning this one, unfortunately.

If you haven't registered for an SB Nation blog before, you should know that comments refresh automatically when you're in a post. So yes, I'll be commenting on my own post and bantering with anyone who shows up while the game is on.

Nope, I thought of that while standing in Oscars pub, two fisting pints.

I hope that, unlike the CFL and the Lions, the Caps are bright enough to create a "season in review" DVD every year. I would imagine the cost of doing so today is pretty cheap, especially since they are already paying someone to run their marketing and PR department.

I downloaded the game from the thread someone put up on the Southsiders web site, if you want the game for keeps, but I also put it on videocassette from my PVR copy. Cheers.

Archived