Asian Cup

masster

Really hope the Socceroos do well in this Tourney.

Australia could do with a sporting lift after the disappointment of the WC bid and the humiliation in the Cricket.

Apparently the only decent spinner left in New South Wales is the Sidney Funnel Web!

That one is specially for you South Melbourne- as your probably the only poster on here who'll get it;) LOL

I'd like to see any two of Australia, South Korea, or Japan in the final. Iraq winning last time was a great story, given what was happening in that country at that time, but I think one of the big boys will deliver this time. My pick is that Japan will win it. They have some very good, young players coming through (Kagawa and Honda, mainly) and some class veterans, like Endo, still in the side. Their classy central defender, Tulio Tanaka, is not playing so they might be vulnerable at the back. I don't know what changes the Koreans have made since the World Cup, but they are always strong at confederation level. As much as I want Holger to succeed with Australia, I don't think they have enough good, young players coming through to cover the gaps in their ageing side.

Australia sport is currently in mourning following a humiliating defeat in the Ashes (cricket reference) so a win in the Asian Cup will be seized upon as a much needed tonic. I just don't think that they will win it.

impressive stats. he looks very promising

Japan's group looks so easy... they should go through without any problems!

I either overestimated Japan or underestimated Jordan. doesn't look too good for them right now... Jordan are not too fair play though

theyre able to pull off the draw! nicely done.

I'm hoping India can keep it respectable tomorrow. They may have a home field advantage with the huge indian population in Qatar.

I'd like to see the game progress in India. Pulling an upset or two could change the landscape of the game there. They just need a tipping point

I agree about India.

Also a shame that China seems unable to get over the hump after making considerable progress some ten years back now. They were following the Japan model a bit there, with the creation of the pro league and the influx of foreigners to it, and some foreign experience coaching the national side, but haven't been able to produce enough top attacking players in the same way to get the job done. Maybe some Australian model of sport combines might work - or wait, can't they just use their Olympic models to crank out elite players? Certainly costs and population shouldn't be getting in the way, for starters.

Good on 'em! Also Looks like the game is growing in the worlds largest democracy.

I recently heard thet the Blackburn move for Ronaldinho knocked the Cricket of the front pages in India. Venkes, the new (Indian) owners of Blackburn Rovers apprently know how to stir the marketing pot. The Maradon management stories seem to back that up as well.

The Japan-S Korea semi-final was a fantastic display of technical football. Those two teams are clearly the class of the AFC. It'll be interesting to see if a technically inferior Socceroos team can ride superior strength and athleticism to knock off the Blue Samurai on Saturday night.

Interesting to see Holger about to win his third continental competition.

Strong prediction - I think it should be a close final.

I wonder, actually, how the top three CONCACAF sides (USA, Mexico, Honduras?) would fare against the top three Asian sides (Australia, S Korea, Japan) in a hex. I think a lot of people might be surprised at how quality the technical aspects of the games are out east. This tends to get pushed aside when people talk about how lousy Asia's fourth or fifth World Cup representative usually are.

I agree about India.

Also a shame that China seems unable to get over the hump after making considerable progress some ten years back now. They were following the Japan model a bit there, with the creation of the pro league and the influx of foreigners to it, and some foreign experience coaching the national side, but haven't been able to produce enough top attacking players in the same way to get the job done. Maybe some Australian model of sport combines might work - or wait, can't they just use their Olympic models to crank out elite players? Certainly costs and population shouldn't be getting in the way, for starters.

That model so does NOT work. You need a European-style youth development system or, in the case of hockey, a Canadian-style junior development system. This is also why the USA will always stink at soccer. Sheer numbers (population) gets you only so far.

At least Asia will be sending a strong rep to the Confederations Cup this time. Iraq was so bad it was painful. I don't know how they won the Asian Cup last time around.

True, I was thinking about the confederation cup too.

- Australia/Japan instead of Iraq.

- Copa America winner instead of South Africa (or the runner-up if that team is Brazil).

- Euro 2012 winner instead of a sad Italian team.

Needless to say its already looking like a stronger field.

I find it intresting that the strength and athleticism of the socceroos evokes an 'Old Country/ British' style game, when in all actuallity Association Football only really came into its own in Australia when the Europeans from the Med and the Adreatic began to arrive back in the 1950's.

Heart wants The Socceroos, Head says Japan 3-1.

Anyway South Australia and Adelaide will look pretty foolish if the 'roos come back To parade a significant Piece of silverware only to realise they will be excluded from the Party in Four years time. Be even more embarrasing if the Reds are A -League Champions by then.

I think Western Australia would not care one way or the other.

SthMelbRed, Know anywhere the game can be watched Live?

Archived