Asian Cup

masster

^I'll be watching the game on the couch in my living room. It kicks off at one thirty in the morning local time her on Saturday night. Fox Sports has played every single game of the Asian Cup live (with a liberal amount of replays the next day across its three channels). I'm a bit torn on this match. I have a strong affinity for the Japanese team from the 3 years I lived there, which included the '02 World Cup (much stronger than my feelings for the Socceroos, even though I've lived here for almost 5 years), but I also want Holger to do well.

Shame that Holger didn't add to his honours - have there been any coaches to win continental national championships in two different confederations before?

Interesting that Holger's work here seems to have been a reason for his appointment. At the time Frank Lowy said "Holger has also worked in a nation where football is not the number one sport and proved that he can win a major Championship against nations who have football in their veins when he won the CONCACAF Gold Cup with Canada. One of the major criteria was his background in educating and teaching and being with youth. He will do the educating job, in the main for coaches. We hope in the medium term, as a result of Holger's appointment, to be able to have an Australian head coach in the near future.''

We failed to build on Holger's time in charge the way they intend to, but maybe with the right resources (mostly through Lowy) it can be done. Lowy also said Beckenbauer recommended Holger.

Archived