Stinson and Baker in Negotiations with TFC

TFCRegina

It's on CSN.

CSN has learned that Toronto FC is close to signing two members of the Canadian u20 player pool.

It's being suggested that former TFC Academy stand-out Matt Stinson has decided to leave Winthrop University after his freshmen year and accept a home-grown contract with the Reds.

Stinson was voted Most Valuable Player of the 2010 Winthrop team, the first freshmen to be named MVP since 1991. He was also selected to the Top 100 Freshmen in the NCAA by Top Drawer Soccer. He started in all 18 games, despite playing the majority of the season with a broken hand and finished tied for second on the team with three goals and six points. He played nearly 200 minutes more than any other player on the team and earned All-Big South Second Team honours as well as being named to the Big South All-Freshmen Team.

One Canadian soccer insider told CSN that Stinson is likely one of the top 2 to 3 u20 players in Canada. He's said to have tremendous upside, with potential European possibilities down the road.

The other likely signing is a less of a sure thing. Forward Jerome Baker was released from the Whitecaps residency program earlier this year (rumours suggest that it was a "personality conflict"), but Toronto appears ready to take a chance on him. The insider is less certain of Baker's potential.

Baker would be brought in as a development player and would be primarily playing with the reserve side.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?895-TFC-looking-at-two-young-Canadians

Thankfully Stinson is getting out of the blackhole of soccer known as the NCAA.

You can sign as many youth products as you want now.

And I can see TFC doing this because it's cheaper and by and large, our youth products have looked capable (yes, they've had few appearances, and it's hard to judge) to step into the role that guys who were making 100-200k were doing, and do it better than they were.

And I can see TFC doing this because it's cheaper and by and large, our youth products have looked capable (yes, they've had few appearances, and it's hard to judge) to step into the role that guys who were making 100-200k were doing, and do it better than they were.

... and there's no telling how valuable will be the experience they garner in training with the top players. Start dropping them in when possible as late subs or emergency starters and they could advance no end. We all know how Nana did. He's the example to be followed even if he didn't come out of an academy as there wasn't one at the time.

... and there's no telling how valuable will be the experience they garner in training with the top players. Start dropping them in when possible as late subs or emergency starters and they could advance no end. We all know how Nana did. He's the example to be followed even if he didn't come out of an academy as there wasn't one at the time.

Nana is a tribute to the value of the Reserve team. But he still needs to improve his atrocious ball distribution. He's a solid defender through and through but he can't pass to save his life. Maybe these dutch coaches can teach him a thing or two.

The thing to keep in mind with all this is it takes a bunch of prospects just to get one final product and they all improve at different rates at different times. It will be hard to tell who actually gets to break through at the end of the day but TFC is doing the right thing by giving more guys access to professional training.

Good for Stinson! I think the year at university might have helped his development, he still got to play for TFC during the summer then got to play extra football in the NCAA and now back to work with TFC once again. It will probably only be a matter of time before Morgan is signed too.

Im glad TFC is taking a chance on Baker, he scored a lot for the Res when they were on tour in Germany and then he kind of dissappeared anyone have the story there? its about time TFC started signing these Canadians and giving them a chance its worked well so far and its only been a few months.

I suspect that would not be much of a factor in people's thinking beyond this messageboard and from what I remember he didn't really say anything hugely controversial anyway. What did people expect him to say to a Jamaican newspaper story his relatives there were probably going to read? Maybe worth bearing in mind that given their amateur status TFC Academy players are not tied to TFC when it comes to signing a pro contract. Pure speculation on my part but if an NCAA scholarship isn't central to his plans he could easily be planning to try out with a few European teams.

With Usanov and Hscanovics waived, there's no natural right or left back, I'd out strong odds on Morgan being given a full contract.

And when that happens i'll happy, but until then i would rather they had made him the priority.

I don't like to make assumptions that others will do the right thing, until something is produced i will be skeptical of it happening.

True, he'll grow into that. But can he do the job now? I foresee a number of new faces on the team rather than promoting a lot of youngsters. Who knows though...

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a fair bit of Dutch castoffs (likely due to age - 30s) from the top division. Not a big deal by any means. What we will probably see is a mix of older Dutch players with younger Canadians.

I'm ok with that if the Canucks are getting the experience and training they need as it should only be a temporary phenomena.

home-grown player is one of those funnily used MLS terms that grate on me, like soccer specific stadiums.

Home-grown player, who was playing and developing outside of TFC, or the Homegrown guy in VW from Longeuil. Just call them youth contracts :P.

Soccer Specific Stadium, saw this a lot in the news, where it talks about them holding concerts, too. Not extremely specific, then...

Specific does not equal exclusive. In fact, a stadium that is exactly specific to one, single sport (ie. exclusive) is a pretty damned rare commodity.

Is the Bell Centre not a hockey arena because it holds the odd UFC event? Is Wrigley Field no longer a baseball stadium because it's held concerts, political rallies, pro wrestling, and even a hockey game? Is Wembley not a soccer stadium first and foremost even though it has hosted tons of other stuff?

The term soccer specific stadium is pretty unique to North America because soccer stadiums are rare in this part of the world, so the distinction needs to be made.

Archived