Canada vs Mexico WCQ Nov 2 [R]

mtlfan

Is that kid in nets even 16? She barely looks like she's hit puberty.

A really good game by most of the Canadians. Moscato and Kyle are struggling again, Tancredi is a Wambach-ish power player and a fish out of water stuck in a latin midfield. Back line is brilliant.

Congratulations Candace Chapman and Josée Bélanger. Loved the celebration.

Can't see Kari Seitz doing another tournament. She is completely out of touch with the intricacies of the play.

Mexico looking much better this half. I love the way our ladies go long with purpose. They retain possession on a lot of long balls. Position, Possession & Passing. They moved the ball in the first half like a machine. The "Italian Job" is working just fine!

make that 3-0 :) oh yea (ps nice sub, you made your coach look good for putting you in)

Terrific performance all around. Belanger is a bit of an enigma but she's relentless and two footed and was player of the game today with the unexpected and terrific 2nd goal and great cross for the 3rd from Foligno, who is some fine sub along with Scott . Very nice to see our girls playing the ball on the ground and the Mexicans living la vida Pellerud with the long ball. And even nicer to see the Mexicans just fade to black from chasing the ball as the 2nd half went deeper and deeper. Congrats ladies. Repeat performance needed on Friday to get the job done. Very proud to see Canada win in Mexico!

That was impressive! Our girls looked good, I liked the way they passed the ball around, the coach had the second half tactics down perfectly and that was a great 3rd goal!

I agree 100%. Now we will see if they can play the same against CR and USA, if so this will be the best WNT ever and they will be very dangerous next summer.

I was very impressed by this performance from top to bottom. I thought Kyle and Moscato did well in the midfield with Matheson. One of the reasons why the Mexicans played so many long balls IMO is that they had so little time on the ball and that kept the ball away from Maribel Dominguez. They weren't faultless, but they combined reasonably well with backs and the wide attacking players to keep moves going and hold possession. Once the midfield trio began to tire a bit in the second half you could see Mexico create a little more, but at that point, the game was well in hand and the backline was magnificent.

I can't say enough good things about Chapman and Schmidt and with Emily Zurrer there really is an abundance of riches there.

The Mexican keeper made some errors, but I thought the first two goals featured some pretty cool and quality finishing. Both were well-placed shots considering they under pressure and in traffic. Hopefully the lethal finishing holds up. I don't know a lot about Costa Rica, but we've positioned ourselves so well to this point.

Morace is a breath of fresh air as far as tactics and smart and timely substitutions. I hope we can do the business Friday so we can see what she height she can lead this team to in Germany.

cheers,

matthew

It was a dominating performance, especially the first half. The comment by Reed regarding how great it was to see us as the possession side and Mexico playing the hit and hope was great, you could just tell that De Vos was smiling ear to ear when they were talking about it.

Is there any way to send words of support down to them going into the semi vs. Costa Rica?

Just like to add that while watching the match it was refreshing to see the women play hard without resorting to theatrics and complaining to the ref that you see endlessly in the men's game. Other than that fall by Domingues after she crashed into our keeper, I don't recall any form of play acting. If even when they truly fell down, they got right back up!! :-)

The ball certainly skipped long when the rain was pelting down early on; it took the ladies some time to adjust their weight for their passes (or for the rain to taper so the ball would start to slow on the grass). Throw ins were difficult in the opposite way as the ladies couldn't grip the ball... Once the rhythm was established the ball control by our side was quite wonderful to watch.

I haven't watched the second half yet, looking forward to seeing another Foligno goal.

All 20 players have played thus far! Great bench management.

Greetings matthew, nice for you to have a Saskatchewaner (if that's the right term? - Kaylyn Kyle) to support with Kelly Parker out. It's quite an accomplishment and I can't remember two from the province on the team before.

I thought the entire back of Schmidt, Nault, Chapman and Wilkinson were really strong last night. Defense is an unappreciated art but they are the reason we avoided the USA.

We have 12 goals, 14 if you count the blown offsides:

2 - from corners

1 - dead ball from the corner

1- long ball, goalkeeping error

10 - direct wingplay or striker/striker and striker/wide-mid combination play

The good news is we have great goalkeeping, our back line are playing world class and our strikers and wing-mids are playing well. The troubling part is we've played three teams ranging from fair to very weak and have been unable to create any danger out of the middle.

Even Pellerud has got his praise lately, but on the flip side it's interesting how someone he managed to let go and keep out of the team for six years (Parker) could be so integral to our play.

The interesting part of Chapman's goal is her approach. If she goes too deep to the gap on the edge of the six and doesn't slow down and back off and hold the space we don't go up 1-0. Ends up being a great decision.

Wondering who picks the CONCACAF highlight tunes...

I'm surprised at how unreserved the praise is for the team's performance in this game.

I thought both teams looked sloppy in the first 10 minutes, probably due to the weather conditions. Once they settled in, Canada played very well and dominated for the rest of the half.

But I was worried by their play in the 2nd. Yes, they were very sound positionally and that is a credit to Morace's coaching. But it worries me that they could not maintain possession when they were trying to defend the lead. There were too many aimless balls forward which allowed the Mexicans to regroup and restart the attack, too many soft passes which the Mexicans were able to intercept, too many fumbled first touches, and too many instances of players running straight into their opponents and losing the ball.

The tactics are there, but the players still need to work on the mental part of their game.

Well played and well deserved result. Cant ask for better.

With the qualification pretty much sewn up, you have to be optimistic (based on what we have seen) for even a berth in the knockout out stage at the WWC. And who knows, may even the semis.

The style and tactics is what got us eliminated from the group stage the last time at the WWC. We gave up a goal two minutes into added time in the final group game against the Aussies because they couldn't keep the damn ball and kept surrendering possesion by punting it back to them. But its nice to see that with the proper coaching and tactics that we are now seeing, its unlikely to happen this time around.

Archived