Canada vs Mexico WCQ Nov 2 [R]

mtlfan

I'm surprised at how unreserved the praise is for the team's performance in this game.

I thought both teams looked sloppy in the first 10 minutes, probably due to the weather conditions. Once they settled in, Canada played very well and dominated for the rest of the half.

But I was worried by their play in the 2nd. Yes, they were very sound positionally and that is a credit to Morace's coaching. But it worries me that they could not maintain possession when they were trying to defend the lead. There were too many aimless balls forward which allowed the Mexicans to regroup and restart the attack, too many soft passes which the Mexicans were able to intercept, too many fumbled first touches, and too many instances of players running straight into their opponents and losing the ball.

The tactics are there, but the players still need to work on the mental part of their game.

Not unrestrained praise but credit where it is due. The first half was clearly better for us than the second. First bit was rain/wet like you said. Mexico was pressuring us more in the second and playing more desperate hence we need to handle pressure better. Something to work on yes but the first half we rocked. Our long passes up the right side were extremely effective at moving the ball up the field quickly and retaining possession.

Over all a very good result. The progress is showing and will continue.

The only problem I had last night is the team blowing two chances in a row off corner kicks.

The short corner tatic is not worth the risk of not centering the ball. They blew two scoring chances for no good reason especialy with the young opposing keeper.

The style and tactics is what got us eliminated from the group stage the last time at the WWC. We gave up a goal two minutes into added time in the final group game against the Aussies because they couldn't keep the damn ball and kept surrendering possesion by punting it back to them. But its nice to see that with the proper coaching and tactics that we are now seeing, its unlikely to happen this time around.

What??? Canada was doing almost nothing but surrendering possession in the second half and the first half wasn't much better. The two things Canada had going for them were A) Speed of attack, especially deep in Mexico's end and B) solid defense. The same strengths they've had all along. Other than that, Mexico COMPLETELY outclassed them in terms of passing, carrying the ball and decision making. The difference in the result was that Mexico is not Australia - not even close...yet.

I expect we'll see much of the same thing against Costa Rica. Costa Rica will be technically superior, Canada will play it's typical game and hopefully come out with a win. After that, it's hard to say. The USA has better skills, better tactics and can match Canada in both speed of attack and defense, so the USA should win - but in soccer the best team doesn't always win.

What??? Canada was doing almost nothing but surrendering possession in the second half and the first half wasn't much better. The two things Canada had going for them were A) Speed of attack, especially deep in Mexico's end and B) solid defense. The same strengths they've had all along. Other than that, Mexico COMPLETELY outclassed them in terms of passing, carrying the ball and decision making. The difference in the result was that Mexico is not Australia - not even close...yet.

I expect we'll see much of the same thing against Costa Rica. Costa Rica will be technically superior, Canada will play it's typical game and hopefully come out with a win. After that, it's hard to say. The USA has better skills, better tactics and can match Canada in both speed of attack and defense, so the USA should win - but in soccer the best team doesn't always win.

I wouldn't want to denigrate the team's performance in this victory because I did see some improvements in team tactics and execution but I have to agree with a lot of what you are saying CAFAN. There were an alarming amount of unforced giveaways which I hope Morace will be able to do something about before the WC (I'm assuming a win over CR) and there was a tendency to go straight ahead down wings when better opportunites were available with a switch. Also you wouldn't want to assume you're often going to be up against a keeper as weak as the Mexican girl. The first two goals were outright gifts and I'm sure very demoralizing for their team. It will be interesting to see what happens against the US in the final, I'm hoping that they will be sharper and although I'm not expecting a victory perhaps we'll see a better overall performance than usual.

Christ, harsh critics. Nobody has taken a point or scored a goal against this team. I thought they handled the 2nd half quite well. Don't know what game you all were watching. To say that Mexico COMPLETELY outclassed them is f*ing ridiculous.

Christ, harsh critics. Nobody has taken a point or scored a goal against this team. I thought they handled the 2nd half quite well. Don't know what game you all were watching. To say that Mexico COMPLETELY outclassed them is f*ing ridiculous.

The team is very strong in the back line and did a much better job than the US in containing Mexico's attack. I would also agree that it would be incorrect to say that Mexico completely outclassed Canada, after all finishing an attack is in the end a lot more important than better general play in the buildup and in the midfield. I would still maintain that we are in the end very much a work in progress though.

Archived