Coach hopes to take Canada To World Cup

Lurker

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1190440.html

Coach hopes to take Canada to World Cup

By GLENN MacDONALD Sports Reporter | 5 Questions

Mon. Jul 5 - 4:53 AM

Stephen Hart enjoys watching the FIFA World Cup.

The head coach of Canada’s men’s national soccer team would enjoy it even more if Canada was involved.

The 50-year-old Hart, a Halifax resident, took over as head coach in December. He had served as interim coach since March 2009 after Dale Mitchell was fired for Canada’s weak 0-4-2 record in qualifying for the 2010 World Cup.

Canada has appeared in only one World Cup (1986). They are ranked 63rd in the latest FIFA world rankings, ahead of New Zealand, North Korea and South Africa, all of which had a team in this year’s World Cup.

With the international spectacle heading into its final week, Hart, who moved to Canada from his native Trinidad and Tobago in 1980 to attend Saint Mary’s University, said his goal is to lead Canada back to the world’s most widely viewed sporting event.

Q: How does the national team look at this stage?

A: We are in a process of rebuilding, so to speak. We are trying to increase the roster depth on our national team and we have been looking at quite a few players in our last three games. We’ll continue that trend until the end of 2010.

Q: Do you see Canada playing in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil?

A: Our whole goal is to have a squad prepared and with a complete understanding of each other going into qualification in late 2011. That time is going to rush up on us. We have prioritized what needs to be done. There’s always a possibility that we’ll have a team there. But it all comes down to how well we can compete in the (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football championship).

Q: What would a World Cup appearance mean to the sport in this country?

A: We weren’t at the World Cup before 1986 and we haven’t been there since. I think the whole country would get behind the team. The whole soccer infrastructure would probably grow out of it, hopefully. It would be a very, very healthy situation.

Q: Would we see a trickle-down effect if Canada qualified for the World Cup?

A: It could mean better infrastructure. A lot of young players would have a place to play. The biggest downfall for Canada has been the infrastructure on the professional side. Right now, they are dependent on a U.S. league. We have to take care of that as well as university soccer and senior soccer in each of the provinces. It’s that complete sort of thinking that is needed for our game to grow.

Q: Who do you like in the World Cup?

A: I think the way it’s shaping up, Holland are a very, very difficult team to beat. I don’t think they’re necessarily playing the best soccer but they’re a difficult team to beat and of course we’ve seen the consistency of Germany throughout the tournament.

But I think whichever team wins the Germany-Spain matchup will probably go on to win the World Cup.

( gmacdonald@herald.ca)

He's saying all the right things and actually seems to have a timetable and plan! As far as the impact of Canada qualifying, it would be massive! Watching games during this World Cup several casual fans have asked me why Canada isn't there! I think it would be a huge story if Canada qualifies and don't ever under estimate how many people would get on board!

He's saying all the right things and actually seems to have a timetable and plan! As far as the impact of Canada qualifying, it would be massive! Watching games during this World Cup several casual fans have asked me why Canada isn't there! I think it would be a huge story if Canada qualifies and don't ever under estimate how many people would get on board!

It would be staggeringly hugely massive. And big too.

I hope, really hope, that what and how he is saying the above is somehow muted because it isn't remotely visionary or enthusiastic enough for me.

He was extremely cautious and guarded in his assessment and views about the prospects for 2014. There was some good talent that came out from the 1998 to 2003 class of U20 players but the window of opportunity has closed or is closing on that class. And, the best that we were able to achieve from that class is a a berth in the second stage in Concacaf but no appearance in the hex. A better frame of mind will help by having a core group of players who are domestically based given that players who live domestic enviroment will feel a greater sence of accountability. Or, maybe, a star or two will emerge from the academies and go on to a strong showing at the U20 and /or perhaps the MNT will be successfull in recruiting the odd foreign talent . Perhaps even a luckier draw will make the difference and help us get on roll.

We will need something to happen because, as it stands now, the U20 classes of 2005-2009 were considerably weaker than than those prior classes.

I think he is jumping the gun when when he states that playingin the WC would mean : " infrastructure would probably grow out of it, hopefully. It would be a very, very healthy situation" and that "It could mean better infrastructure. A lot of young players would have a place to play."

He's putting the cart before the horse. You have to have that in order to qualify to begin with. Qualifying in 1986 (on its own) didn't really set in place infrastructure improvements.

"Aquarela do Brasil" (English: Watercolor of Brazil), known in the English-speaking world simply as "Brazil", is one of the most famous Brazilian songs of all time, written by Ary Barroso in 1939. Frank Sinatra did a version called "Return I Will to Old Brazil".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uESWm702bu8&NR=1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzil

Stevie’s gonna take us to Brazil

We Aint stoppin’ til Brazil

Qualify, we will

Brazil, Brazil, Barazzzzzzzzzzzzzzil

Then, the World Cup was another day

Semis found us miles away

With still a million things to say

Now, with scarlet maple leafs above

Recalling thrills of our love

There's one thing We're certain of

Qualify we will to old Brazil

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah……..Brazil, Brazil, Brazil, Barzil

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzil!

Then, tomorrow was another day

World Cup found us miles away

There's one thing that we’re certain of

Qualify we will to old brazil

That old Brazil

Stevie’s takin’ us to Brazil

Brazil, Brazil

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzil!

We don't have the depth to make the next WC as we now stand. It is an unrealistic goal.

This could be compensated by great coaching though, if Hart were up to it. You coach a bunch of guys to play above their level.

But even then, it is impossible unless you have a great keeper, two excellent central defenders, and a dangerous striker, a top level pro striker. The others could be journeymen, but if well coached we could qualify in spite of everything, a team that really ticks with a couple stars and a sturdy defence.

"Aquarela do Brasil" (English: Watercolor of Brazil), known in the English-speaking world simply as "Brazil", is one of the most famous Brazilian songs of all time, written by Ary Barroso in 1939. Frank Sinatra did a version called "Return I Will to Old Brazil".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzil

Qualify, we will

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzil!

That old Brazil

Brazil, Brazil

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzil!

Great post ..now if we can just get mmm what singer.. let me think... Ginnete Reno .. and .. Stompin Tom to team up .. its a hit.

I agree with some of these sentiments. Canada has tried and failed to qualify with the best graduates of our successful U20s of the late 90s and early 2000s, so in that sense it doesn't look good. But Canada (even with bad draws in the semifinal round) should not be finishing so far behind the top two. We have underachieved. I see Hart's job as getting Canada to the final round - in with a chance. Then if we are beaten by better teams, so be it.

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzil

Qualify, we will

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzil!

That old Brazil

Brazil, Brazil

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

DahDahDah…DahDADADADah

Brazzzzzzzzzzzzzil!

Hey sweet! We'll have to keep this around for when WCQ2014 comes around.

We don't have the depth to make the next WC as we now stand. It is an unrealistic goal.

This could be compensated by great coaching though, if Hart were up to it. You coach a bunch of guys to play above their level.

But even then, it is impossible unless you have a great keeper, two excellent central defenders, and a dangerous striker, a top level pro striker. The others could be journeymen, but if well coached we could qualify in spite of everything, a team that really ticks with a couple stars and a sturdy defence.

I agree with some of these sentiments. Canada has tried and failed to qualify with the best graduates of our successful U20s of the late 90s and early 2000s, so in that sense it doesn't look good. But Canada (even with bad draws in the semifinal round) should not be finishing so far behind the top two. We have underachieved. I see Hart's job as getting Canada to the final round - in with a chance. Then if we are beaten by better teams, so be it.

I don't buy the golden generation failed argument. We had as good a midfield as we have ever had but some fatal flaws in this generation. Flaw number 1 was lack of goal scoring which has been typical of Canada with the exception of the Bunbury and Mitchell years. This may continue to be a problem depending on whether we learn how to utilize Friend properly and whether one of our young players like Jackson develops. Flaw 2 was poor coaching and Hart at least show some signs of being an improvement on the last two coaches though the jury is still out. The fatal flaw was defence and keeping. Canada has always had goal scoring problems but the defence was usually solid. This has not been the case in recent years but we seem to have a number of good young defenders who will be in their mid twenties by the next WCQ. With all the praise of our skilled midfield, they still didn't produce much offense and thus the poor defence killed us. If we can keep the goals against down we should have a better chance of qualifying in the next cycle. Keeper is still worrying as we have never adequately replaced Forrest but Hirsh has shown he can be a top keeper if he is playing at the club level and is in form. Very little depth after him so we need him to avoid injury and be a starter at his club or else we are in trouble in that area.

Many aspects of the team have to come together for us to have any hope of qualifying and there are many question marks at this point! The good thing is we have a bit of time to sort things out, I thinks Harts gets this! I think our defence should work itself out even if Edgar doesn't get on board which looks more and more likely! As Grizzly points out, there is little depth at Keeper but there are some young prospects coming into the fold! Hart has a big job to do to identify who can play at this level and how we're going to play!

The fact that so many, even here, see us as underdogs might be a encouraging. because of Gold Cup, we saw ourselves as shoe-ins in 2000 and 2004 and to a far lesser extent in 2008. And it seems like we may have played like we thought that we were favourites. The sense of being underdogs tends to get people working harder and more as team instead getting guys who think that they are stars and can do it on their own. You can still earn some success in this game by playing tight ugly defensive soccer.

But the downside of that is that concacaf has always been a region where goal scorers determine success or failure. Its hard to emulate a side like switzerland (in concacaf) and expect the same success. The ref here like to blow the whistle a lot.

I've thought of this angle as well, but the cluster**** at the 2003 GC kind of dispels that myth. Also the effort of the 2000 WCQ squad was A+ in that first game against T&T, we really deserved that game but just couldn't buy a goal. All confidence went out the window with that loss...

We'll see what happens at the GC next summer, if we do well in that tournament (i have a hunch we will) and mess it up in qualifying then the evidence may start to sway in favour of that theory...

I've thought of this angle as well, but the cluster**** at the 2003 GC kind of dispels that myth. Also the effort of the 2000 WCQ squad was A+ in that first game against T&T, we really deserved that game but just couldn't buy a goal. All confidence went out the window with that loss...

We'll see what happens at the GC next summer, if we do well in that tournament (i have a hunch we will) and mess it up in qualifying then the evidence may start to sway in favour of that theory...

I am glad that Hart and and the CSA downplayed the significance of the GC. The GC has brought nothing but false elusions to Canadian soccer. Dont get me wrong, aside from the fact that they play it sometimes in the middle of the hex, I like the tournament and have been to GC games. The problem is when you try to extrapolate CG performance towards WCQ.

Looking back in retrospect, I can think of a few instances (and one particular play by a Costa rican) that demonstate that many sides in the region are not taking it as seriously as canada.

Yes, we dominated that T & T game in Edmonton but had we not been as successful at the GC, we might have coaxed Radz into playing for us. He went on to have a superbe season in Europe that year

He said lots of interesting things, hopefully the video will be available for replay.

I thought it was interesting to hear him comment on our lack of indoor facilities compared to a country like Norway, especially full field facilities. They just move the game indoors.

Interesting chat, but I don't hold much hope for 2014 qualification. 2014 quals start in 23 months, and we would have to come a long way to put together a good side by then.

I was rather surprised when Hart stated that "technically there's nothing we can do" in terms of teaching skills to the players - that players should already have these skills by the time they reach the national team and/or that teaching these sort of skills is the job of clubs. Hart argued that the national team's job is simply to come up with a concept for how the players will play as a team, and teach that to the players, working on such aspects every time they have an opportunity to practice and play matches together.

And was it just me, or when Hart was comparing how gruelling and lengthy the CONCACAF qualification campaign is, did he say that South American teams only have to play six or eight matches to qualify? They have to play 18 matches, the same as the better sides in CONCACAF have to play. It might have been a mere slip, but I found this a tad odd...

Interesting chat, but I don't hold much hope for 2014 qualification. 2014 quals start in 23 months, and we would have to come a long way to put together a good side by then.

I was rather surprised when Hart stated that "technically there's nothing we can do" in terms of teaching skills to the players - that players should already have these skills by the time they reach the national team and/or that teaching these sort of skills is the job of clubs. Hart argued that the national team's job is simply to come up with a concept for how the players will play as a team, and teach that to the players, working on such aspects every time they have an opportunity to practice and play matches together.

And was it just me, or when Hart was comparing how gruelling and lengthy the CONCACAF qualification campaign is, did he say that South American teams only have to play six or eight matches to qualify? They have to play 18 matches, the same as the better sides in CONCACAF have to play. It might have been a mere slip, but I found this a tad odd...

Yes, something didn't make sense there about his qualification comparisons. I thought for a second I misheard and he was refering to Oceania. He also didn't allude to any knowledge of a forthcoming change to the qualifying format in CONCACAF.

Archived